Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a MTS 1100S with 1200 miles on it and the oil has not been changed yet..

I will change the oil ASAP, but do you think there is any harm been done by not changing oil at 600 miles?

any advice?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ahhhhh a virgin bike; nay, I sincerely doubt that running the breakin oil that long will hurt anything at all. I have seen cars run on their breakin oil up to 20k. If anything, the new oil will have better mated surfaces to deal with.

It will run forever, or at least as long as Ducatis run..........

Mark '

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Change it.

Most of the debris resulting from the wear of hundreds of engine and transmission component surfaces gets generated in the first few hundred miles. Also, small metal chips lost parts from machining and assembly operations and excess gasket materials show up on the filter screen during this time, so clean that off too.

You don't want that stuff floating around causing additional wear and damage to precision parts and clogging small orifices. That's why they tell you 600 miles, not "whenever you get around to it."

20,000 miles, no problem ... don't you just love the internet?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Shazzam:

I wasn't trying to tell the poor guy to wait for 20k! Get real.. Just stated I have seen CARS run that long.. Obviously change the damn oil, but just cause it went over the 600 doesn't make for a bad engine.

:eek:

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
I sincerely apologize. My remark was tasteless.

On the other hand, this was the guy's first post, he was concerned about his new bike and he deserved a better response. My initial thought was that your response to him was a little too flippant.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Shazzam:

I totally understand and did leave out crucial info ie: (change the oil) on my first reply. I often forget that everyone was new to Ducatis and to this forum at some point. My first Duc was back in '03. They do require a learning curve that other (UJM's) really don't. In fact after buying our first Duc I thought it was going to blow up after every block, just had this horrible thought about a semi-handmade Italian bike, how could I possibly trust this thing???

After many thousands of miles on all of our Ducs, they have all been very reliable and only one of them has left me stranded after a 110 mph crash on a race track!

Obviously rider error

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
560 Posts
My dealer told me to bring my bike in at 900 for the 600 service.

That is too funny!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts