Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally had a nice day in Northeast Ohio to take the Ducati 996 I bought in December for a long ride. I rode 60 miles of freeway and another 20/30 miles through the metroparks and side roads, I figued this would give me a good feel for how the bike handled and would react. I put on about a hundred miles today! First let me say what a ride, the feedback is better than anything I've ever ridden before and I couldn't be happier. I do have a couple of questions though, if someone can help?

1. How many miles per tank should i look to get? I put 100 miles on it and my fuel light is starting to come on and off, but when I checked it when I got home, i can see plenty of gas left in the tank?

2. I'm sure this is fault of the dealer, but I have chain lube slinging everywhere, back rim, coated by the front sprocket, some even made it to the back tire on the edge!! Good thing I was just tooling around, could of been killed cause of that!! any recommendations on a good lube that won't do that, I used to use chain wax back in the day, never seemed to have a problem, but not sure what's out there now?

3. Temperature seems to run just under 180 degrees, and creeps up to 180 at lights, is this normal?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. The bike has Termi Half system, or slip on, not sure how to tell the diff. STM Slipper clutch, lots of carbon fiber, brembo brake and clutch levers, lots of carbon fiber....anything I need to look for? or be careful of? Just picking everyones brain cause I love it, and I don't want to hurt her!! LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats on the amazing addiction that we all have here! I am also fairly new to this machine. Here's what I have learned about the 996.
I'm getting 120 to 140 miles on a tank of gas. (89 octane) I haven't seen the light come on yet. I even attended a track day last week and still never saw the light after 100miles. That also doesn't mean that my light is working fine either, but I think less than 120 miles you have a light issue.
I have been using aviation fuel(kerosene) on my chains for over 15 years and that is all I use. If you do not plan on being in the rain then there isn't too much to worry about having tons of goop on the chain. If I plan on doing allot of riding away from the track then I just use Bel-Ray after I clean it and heat it back up so it will stick.
My 996 runs about 180 or less after replacing the antifreeze with water wetter and distilled water. Your temps sound right.
I can't place enough emphasis on these two books...Haynes manual and Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance & Modification Guide - 3rd Edition. These two manuals have made everything easier about owning a Duc. They will answer any questions you may have about your new ride.
Again welcome to the passion!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice!! It really makes me mad that it's completely caked with chain lube....gonna have to use some liquid steam to get it off!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts