Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to take my new 848 on a fairly long ride (120 miles) on Sunday. A few observations- Its a comfortable bike, it is a more committed riding position than some other sportbikes but surprisingly comfortable, at least for me. I am 6'2 and 220 pounds, and the wind blast at 80 MPH was enough to take some weight off the wrists. The underseat heat got a bit hot at long stoplights, but it disappeared as soon as I got moving. I dont know why people complain about the rearview mirrors, I just rotated them upward and at speed you just need to lift your arm a bit to see the mirror, same as with any modern sportbike. I went riding with two of my buddy's, one has a older Ducati 748. When we hit the twisty parts on the canyons, it was funny because I was behind him and watching him lean way off the bike in the turns, trying to get it to turn in and I was sitting bolt upright in the seat, not leaning off at all and was able to keep up with much less effort on my part, he was working much harder. I have never ridden his bike but it seemed to not be able to change direction when leaned over as well as the 848. Also my bike is bone stock, the suspension is not set for my weight, I can only imagine it getting better once that is done. How was it compared to my Gixxer? Completely different, it didnt turn in as quick but was much more stable, and felt much narrower, so I could grip the tank much better. But the biggest difference was the feel of a big L twin as opposed to an I4 engine, these engines have so much more character than Japanese engines do, plus that low end torque just makes it so easy to ride around town. I love this bike:)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
nice to see you are enjoying your bike. It is my first sport bike but i can say it turns in pretty effortlessly and is very stable. about those long trips I am having a bit of trouble. i have been doing 500mile weeks. my longest ride in one day so far has been 280 miles and i find it kind of painful on my knees and my neck. since my typical sunday ride is around 200 to 250 miles I am considering getting rearsets and maybe one of those throttle masters since 100 miles are on highway. I am also considering changing the suspension setup on my own. I found a document with instructions on how to suit it to your weight on the ducshop website. kinda of nervous about doing the setup on my own but the worst case scenario i guess is having to take it to traxxion dynamics to get the right setup. next time go for a 200 mile plus trip and tell me what you think about the bike, and yeah those L twins pull hard and are fun as hell to ride.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts