Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2013 Hypermotard 821 this past Sunday and logged 1,000 miles on it this weekend. I'll have to say that since I've had it, it's the only bike that just begs me to ride it as it's overall a joy to ride. First problem encountered was the bike stalling out at low speed downshifting. After it did this at least a dozen times, I researched here and found the likely culprit to be the evap canister causing the bike to run lean in hotter climates which was promptly removed and canned. After removing it, it appears to have solved most of the stalling issues but I still had it stall out at least three times on this trip. I also found a "neutral" between 5th and 6th that I hit I think twice. My biggest complaint is low speed, 1st gear parking lot situations. First gear seems to be very tall, which is ok but power delivery is very rough at low rpm either lurching if too much is applied or lugging if too little. The happy medium of just trying to idle through a parking lot is non existent on mine. With a loose chain driveline lash is awful but even when the chain is tensioned properly, this bike just doesn't like low speed.

It's had an ECU update in the past year from Ducati but it seems to be the worst power delivery at low speeds on any Ducati I've ever owned. What can be done? I've searched "mapping, ecu tune, 821 tuning" but so far haven't seen any posts that address if this is even done by Hyper owners. I probably didn't utilize the search function correctly so forgive me in advance if this is a dead horse issue. Thanks.

·
Smut peddler
1,193 Posts
Ive had all my bikes done with a rexxer tune on a dyno. Best money I spent, turned them from stuttering at low end to smooth as glass. It ain't the cheapest route, but overall I think it's the best.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the exact same issues with the stalling and rough low RPM running when I bought my 2013 SP. I looked at all of the options for tuning, and finally settles on the RapidBike EVO from Shift-Tech. I know that no two motors are exactly identical, and a map designed for one bike may improve the bike, it may not be perfect. The RapidBike EVO has a self tuning feature that will automatically tune the map to YOUR bike, and if you make changes to the bike (exhaust, airbox mod, etc), the RapidBike will automatically adjust to it.

My bike runs absolutely perfectly now, no low RPM surging, no stumble at 4.5k, and the off/on throttle response is smooth as glass now. I took my bike to a trackday before adding the RB unit, and it was not smooth going from brake to throttle as I passed the apex, causing a couple of "hairy moments". After installing the RB, I went back to the track and it was a completely different bike. I was much more confident at full lean angles and the bike felt like it made more power (I was 2 seconds faster).

As for the idling through a parking lot in first gear, V-twins are not as smooth as 4 cyl motorcycles, and there will always be a little bucking as the motor speed fluctuates between power pulses.

BTW< I haven't had a single stalling issue since adding the RB module, either.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I adjusted to the bike and it met me halfway. It's cheaper that way - LOL. You'll get the feel of it, when to shift and clutch, and you'll forget these dark days ever happened. Give it a few months and then go to electronic playland if you feel the need. You're right about the chain adjustment -it likes it right! Also - I set both my touring and Sport mode to Sport. For me it is the smoothest most natural connection between throttle and engine. YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts