Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my new multi on my favorite 50-mile twisty mountain road. I have to say, I was impressed. This bike is SOOOO much easier to flick into turns than my old SS... the SS felt like a tank in comparison. The engine pulls harder, the throttle response is super crisp and the bike just seemed to roll effortlessly into turns. And the Ohlins suspension is sublime; I haven't dialed in preload for my weight yet and I set damping to default settings from the manual. It is an order of magnitude better than I am used to; lots more feedback from the front end and the bike absorbs mid-corner bumps effortlessly.

I was startled a few times by my boot or footpeg scraping... happened quite a few times. I am used to leaning over quite a bit I guess.

The one thing I did not like was the brakes. The braking seemed to be there, but I had to pull a lot harder than I'm used to. Is this normal? The dealer I bought the bike from (a Honda dealer who took it on trade) told me they installed new brake pads, I am hoping that they get grippier as they wear in... Previously I rode a '97 SS with much larger disks up front. I tend to ride with 1 finger on the front brake, and most of the time that's all I ever needed. When rolling slowly, a 1 finger pull on the brake would lock the front instantly and the forks would compress. On the multi I found 1 finger (plus engine braking) was definitely not enough for slowing hard into turns so the first couple of turns were a bit more exciting than I expected.

I haven't really figured out how I'm supposed to sit when I ride hard... I am so used to the sportbike position that it feels really unnatural and slow to sit up straight in the wind. I lean over and bend my elbows to get behind the windshield, but then I have to actively engage my right ankle muscles to avoid activating the rear brake. I assume I'll figure it out.

Sure would be sweet to have a gear indicator on the dash.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
The upright position does take a bit of getting used to, but feels completely natural after a while. My old 1100S was one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. Still miss it.

Have fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts