Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first ever speeding ticket in my life.... allegedly doing 38 in a 25mph area. $130 something fee.

As I have no experience at all with these things – what do I do? Just pay up, or should I somehow try to negotiate? People at work say I should, because I have no prior tickets of any kind (and I'm in my 40s) and supposedly if I just pay, insurance rates for both me and my wife for all vehicles will skyrocket(?)

But I mean – how do I argue with the facts? I probably was doing 38 mph - it was early morning commute and I wasn't paying enough attention.

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Go to court

In many states, just by going you can get the penalty reduced. With your clean record, you might be able to negotiate paying the fine, but keeping your record clean. Once you get a ticket on your driving record, the insurance will increase your rates for years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In many states, just by going you can get the penalty reduced. With your clean record, you might be able to negotiate paying the fine, but keeping your record clean. Once you get a ticket on your driving record, the insurance will increase your rates for years.
Going in - as going in to City Hall or something?
I guess I should read what it says on the ticket eh :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I don't know what options you have where you live. In California we have the option to take traffic school to avoid getting points on our license. It's those points that add to insurance rates. If you have that option, take it.

If your only choice is to pay and take the points, or fight the ticket in court, and you choose the latter, then consult a lawyer. They may cost more than the ticket, but if they help you avoid the points you will likely recover the costs in insurance savings.

Good Luck! It sucks getting a ticket, but that I'm afraid comes with the MC territory. It's very hard to ride a responsive bike under the low limits set with cars in mind. (but that's not a good legal argument :()

·
Registered
631 Posts
Martin, I just got a ticket on my hyper recently. I called an attorney, the reviews on this attorney are good as far as getting a ticket dismissed. I am still in the process so cant personally confirm the reviews. Either check mitigation hearing on ticket or research traffic ticket attorneys. Pm me if you want the name of attorney I went with

Cheers

·
Registered
750 Posts
Depends on the laws in WA. Here in CA, once a year you can take traffic school instead of paying the ticket. This keeps the ticket off your record, so no points, and no insurance hassle. WA may have something like that. And before anyone goes all crazy about CA "letting you off", you still have to pay the fine, AND pay for traffic school, which last time I checked was over $300 alone. The moving violation, fees, etc., easily puts your "donation to the state" over $500..... :eek:

Without a program like that, the best you can do is recall the facts (write them down now while they're fresh!) and think if there was anything "off" about where/how you were pulled over. Where was the cop sitting? MANY times if they are using radar there's no where to "hide" along the side of the road so often they are in a driveway of a business, residence, etc.,.....that's private property and unless they have written permission from the owner, that's a big no-no. Did he even use radar? Not likely on a Multi with its small radar signature. Were other cars around or could he only have tagged you if he was using radar, and can he prove that (did you look at his radar gun for a date/time record....maybe it was the old trick of keeping a speeder's stats on the gun readout for a few days)? What's his arrest record look like? He's a public official, so his citations written are part of the public record and you have a right to see them. Does he have an unusually high percentage of tickets written against motorcyclists? If so, he's got an issue with bikers. The basic idea here would be to look for any angle that you can take into court, HUMBLY plead your case, and with no priors you might get a slap on the wrist and a dropped ticket just for taking the time to appear. Then again, you might get in front of the judge from hell and get court fees tacked on TOP of the ticket. You roll the dice and take your chances..... :eek:

If it REALLY bugs you, contact a lawyer and talk it over with them. It might cost you $$$ up front, but if you're worried about your insurance, put it straight to the attorney and ask them 1) can you get it dropped, 2) how much will it cost me. Then weigh that against the hassle and cost of just paying the ticket and dealing with insurance.

BTW, my insurance co. won't jack my rates for one speeding ticket. Two, yes, my rates will go up, but not one. I'm with Farmers if that helps. Check delicately with your guys and see what they say ("hey, my buddy is looking to switch insurance companies but he has a speeding ticket on his record.....do you guys ding a guy for that?"). ;)

Best of luck. Tickets suck. :mad:

-SM

·
Registered
44 Posts
Contact a lawyer, if you want the most options and chances to get it off your record.

Without getting into details that is your best option to put up a solid defense.

I don't have a recommendation but check out the pnwrider forums for those that do.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
First read the ticket and find out if the jurisdiction you got the ticket in allows you to a) take a course b) have differed adjudication (if you don't get a ticket in 90 days it gets dropped for example) type of scenarios. Obviously they'll still make you pay the ticket which I assume is fine as long as it doesn't hit your record and insurance doesn't find out about it.

If they don't have those options you get left with three other options...

1) Pay the ticket. Your insurance will probably stay the same since you have a clean record and taking in considering your age, the fact that you're married, etc...

2) Show up to the court date and try to speak to the DA before the hearing and cut a deal. Either dropping the speeding down to something more reasonable or paying the fine and dropping the ticket all together considering your immaculate record.

3) Lawyer up. Will cost more but they personally know the DAs and can get you out of more. And remember, you may still end up paying the fine, the lawyer, and getting stuck with the ticket on your record.

Again, before the last three options check out the rules and regulations of the county in which you got your ticket.

Good luck brother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only reason your insurance company will pull your driving record is if you are changing your policy or you get on an accident. Don't worry about that at all. Now regarding the ticket if it's your first or even your first in a while you can often do a plea and abeyance, which means you pay a greatly reduced fine and keep your record clean for a specific amount of time, usually one year. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
16 Posts
In PA I almost always plead not guilty. When I show up to court I talk to the officer and explain to him politely that I am trying not to get points and blah blah blah. I explain that I am a PhD student working on defense related research and have been trying to reduce my points for a while due to some stupid tickets I got a while ago. I explain how I have been successful in getting my points down but am afraid to get new points on my record. Then I ask if there is anything I can do to not get points. So far 4 out of 4 times the officer has agreed to reduce the ticket. 3 out of 4 times they have made it a no point offense. With your clean record and the fact that you werent speeding excessively, I would think that your chances are excellent for such an outcome.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In Alaska, if you haven't had a ticket in 2+ years, the traffic court clerk is authorized to "order" you to take a defensive driving course in lieu of paying the ticket. Complete the course within 60 days, bring proof back to the court and "poof"! The ticket is cancelled - it doesn't show on your record. I did this recently - the online course was $39 and taking the test at FedEx/Kinkos was $5.

I've also requested a court date and courteously approached the officer who stopped me - told her I did not intend to dispute the facts but rather, was going to ask the judge to please consider waiving the ticket or allowing me to take a defensive driver course or some other measure to mitigate the fine and points. Handled with the proper demeanor, i.e., "judge, I made a bad choice and would appreciate very much if you and 'Officer Jones' would allow me an opportunity to avoid the fine and points...", I've gotten off.

There was another time I got a speeding ticket near Ellensburg, WA. The court had some means for me to have the ticket waived if I got no tickets in the next year or so.

Gosh, I'm starting to see a pattern here... Ha! :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hear ye, here ye!

Martin,
Sorry to hear of your predicament.

In PA., we have local magistrates that hear minor traffic offenses. The police officer is usually acting as the witness, as well as on the behalf of the DA.

I may be assuming you were speeding at 13 over but if it is so then that is what it is.

Ask others with a history in your locale of what you may do. If you have any LEOs in your network now is the time to reach out for some local advice.

If it were me, here in PA., with a "clean" driving record, I would stand alone before the magistrate and bring the "clean" part to His/Her Honors attention just before admission of the 13M.P.H over and beg for the mercy of the court. Plead your case. Offer to pay a/the fine and ask that the points be reduced or eliminated.

Many times (here) this will, judge and action dependent, offer a less painful gavel strike.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You ride a Ducati and this is your first ticket???
And for what .... doing 38mph????

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here in MD, most any judge would reduce to no points given your clean record and only going 13 over. We plead "guilty with explanation" if we aren't contesting that we were speeding, but want to ask for relief. In your case, I would expect no points and you would pay a reduced fine and court costs.
A lawyer could probably get you off with a clean record intact. I have paid for a lawyer twice for speeding tickets - around 200-300 and was found not guilty in each case.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd like to know how your insurance companies have access to your driving record.
Here in Australia your driving record is for the Police and the Police only. No Insurance company here in this land has access and if it did that in itself is a crime.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Here in CA, once a year you can take traffic school instead of paying the ticket. This keeps the ticket off your record, so no points, and no insurance hassle. WA may have something like that.
Fwiw, it's now once every 18 months here in CA. I think they changed the law some time last year.

Good luck, Martin.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
You know, we all hate being handed a citation. We typically think we don't deserve it. Most of all, it sucks having to send even more money to the government.

Go in, ask for leniency, pay your fine, get on with life.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Why did you pull over?

I look at tickets as , get one for the MANY MANY times you should have got one and didn't.

It matters where you live, for the advice.

When ever I get pulled over I am polite and ask the LEO if they can reduce it to 15 kph over that way no points are accumulated.

In your case I wouldn't worry about it too much or spend too much $$$ fighting it.
If you make the LEO look bad he may remember you !

You know that they say bad things comes in threes...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The only reason your insurance company will pull your driving record is if you are changing your policy or you get on an accident...
This wasn't true for me. Back in 02 I racked up a single point on my license and at insurance renewal time, the rates went up. Nothing was changing on my policy.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts