Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Okay, I'm about 2 weeks into ownership, made some farkles, new friends, etc.

Now that I'm more comfortable in here, its time to drop the bomb....

See, I've never owed a Ducati before and most of my bikes have been four cyclinders, triples, and a couple of V and paralell twins (Aprilia, KTM, Triumph), not to mention the numorous single lungers I've had; but I gotta tell you, this L90 2 cylinder engine sounds like nothing I've ever ridden.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the engine noises. Seems to runs fine, its nice and smooth, and has power everywhere but.....

...it pings, ticks, chatters and makes sounds I can't even describe. It dosn't even have a dry clutch. I feel like I have loose valves and my bike is inpersonating a old model T Ford with a custom steam engine or something......I keep looking down at the ground thinking I'll see parts falling off or a bolt hitting the asphault...

...Is this a "Ducati thing" or should I have the Ducati tech test ride it. Stupid question but; do all Ducati's sound this way?

I'm anticipating a lot of sarcasm but I hope that someone will be sincere enough to keep me from worrying about the fate of my new brand.

BE NICE!
Take a five gallon metal pail, throw in bunch of old wrenchs, a spare WD 40 can or two, some rocks, a screwdriver, some allen wrenchs and a large hammer.

Then put the lid back on the pail and shake vigorously - this will approximate the sound of a normally running Ducati engine.

And it's the sweetest sound you've ever heard - especially at full chat!

Finally, my friend, I'm not laughing at you - I'm laughing with you!:)

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i was surprised to see that the allowable valve shim lash is 0.25mm on this engine. as the valve warms up it gets longer; the opening gap decreases and the closing gap increases, so if there are any closers at 0.25mm (cold) it would probably make some noise.

if all 8 closer shims had this much gap, i would imagine that you would have a lot of valvetrain noise, but it's still in Ducati specification, and normal.

my multi 1200 engine is no more noisy than any other Ducati i've owned, except for that "whirring" sound:think:

·
Registered
103 Posts

See, I've never owed a Ducati before and most of my bikes have been four cyclinders, triples, and a couple of V and paralell twins (Aprilia, KTM, Triumph), not to mention the numorous single lungers I've had; but I gotta tell you, this L90 2 cylinder engine sounds like nothing I've ever ridden.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the engine noises. Seems to runs fine, its nice and smooth, and has power everywhere but.....

...it pings, ticks, chatters and makes sounds I can't even describe. It dosn't even have a dry clutch. I feel like I have loose valves and my bike is inpersonating a old model T Ford with a custom steam engine or something......I keep looking down at the ground thinking I'll see parts falling off or a bolt hitting the asphault...

...Is this a "Ducati thing" or should I have the Ducati tech test ride it. Stupid question but; do all Ducati's sound this way?

I'm anticipating a lot of sarcasm but I hope that someone will be sincere enough to keep me from worrying about the fate of my new brand.

BE NICE!
Haaaaaaaaaaa, I remember a friend asking me a few moths ago while we were sitting at a stop light "do you ever get used to that noise" :D

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
my multi 1200 engine is no more noisy than any other Ducati i've owned, except for that "whirring" sound:think:
that "whirring" sound you mention.....my bike makes that exact type of noise and which emanates from the horizontal cylinder area and near the fans (no, the fans aren't the culprit). it's not a sound that I'm familiar with, and I've owned a lot of different motors across the Ducati lineup.

Lummox, where does the whirring sound from your motor come from?

tia,

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Sounds echo. You may think its coming from one area when its really another.

Today, I heard a metal clinking noise coming from the steering stem area. I freaked. What now? I went home, checked everywhere and found nothing that even remotely sounded like the clink I was hearing on every bump.

Discusted, I took off my helmet and went out looking for pot holes so I could locate the clink. Finally I replicated the noise and found that it was a metal tie down hook that was rattleing on my new tail rack which I just installed.

whewww! Sounded like it was coming from the front but it was all the way in the back.

Then it all made sense when I figured the only thing different since my last ride was the dam tail rack. Needless to say, the tie downs went into my bag... Hopefully, I soon won't worry about any noise once I gain confidence in the bike.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,316 Posts
i have no idea:think: it mirrors the rpm of the engine, so maybe alternator, or water pump. never heard it before on a Duc.
some hondas make that "whirring" noise
The only whirring noise I've heard from Ducati engines has been from the belts. My ST1100 made it too, also from the single belt.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am one of the old timer riders, but first ducati. The noises especially at cruise speeds below 3500rpm before the ECU flash, had me a bit worried. I was shift right to the last gear type rider, took me months of training (LOL) but now I may stop at 4th or 5th unless really cruising up around 65 or above.

Those noises that people get to hear when you crank up and idle, is not a good sample. What they really need to hear/feel is when you come out of that tight turn in 3rd at 4500 rpm and drop the hammer to the next turn, short shift to 4th and drop the hammer again!

Those are the noises that Ducati is about! :D

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I bought my 1098S already broken in, and it was my first Ducati. I rode it home (12 miles) then put it in a trailer and drove to Texas World Speedway. The next morning it was banging off the rev limiter and loving it.

It took some getting used to but I love the sound. It's only noise to the untrained ear.

·
Registered
2 Posts

BE NICE!
I have a s4 monster sounds like pots n pans
On idle

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
So I've found Ducati's make many odd noises... valvetrain noise is pretty noticeable... they do a little piston slap noise when cold (warm em up before riding), dry clutch of course makes everyone think they're about to blow up.

Having said that... once you're moving and the bike is warm it should sound lovely. That's the thing I hated the most about the (otherwise very nice) BMW GS is how at high speed (over about 190kph on the autobahn) the valvetrain gets so crazy loud I'm afraid I'm going to grenade the motor. At the same speed the Multi is... waaaayyyy too nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Coming from a Harley 96" motor, I can tell you there are more noises, creaks, rattles, pings and sputters than one could count. Yep, totally different set of sounds, and as previous posters have stated, it does take some time to get used to the new normal.
I twist the throttle and seem to forget all those little things that make it unique. I just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
And you'll learn how to overpower a noise with a louder noise, exhaust and tune is a must on a duc, until the time you feel the hair on the back of your neck rise as you twist the throttle, that to me is pure connection.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
The clutch is really the only thing I still notice, and that only when I’m in town.
So does everyone else, judging by the looks I get.
A long time friend heard me coming from blocks away the first time I rode my Monster to his house. “ I didn’t know what it was, but I knew it wasn’t something ordinary.”

21 - 37 of 37 Posts