Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm about 2 weeks into ownership, made some farkles, new friends, etc.

Now that I'm more comfortable in here, its time to drop the bomb....

See, I've never owed a Ducati before and most of my bikes have been four cyclinders, triples, and a couple of V and paralell twins (Aprilia, KTM, Triumph), not to mention the numorous single lungers I've had; but I gotta tell you, this L90 2 cylinder engine sounds like nothing I've ever ridden.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the engine noises. Seems to runs fine, its nice and smooth, and has power everywhere but.....

...it pings, ticks, chatters and makes sounds I can't even describe. It dosn't even have a dry clutch. I feel like I have loose valves and my bike is inpersonating a old model T Ford with a custom steam engine or something......I keep looking down at the ground thinking I'll see parts falling off or a bolt hitting the asphault...

...Is this a "Ducati thing" or should I have the Ducati tech test ride it. Stupid question but; do all Ducati's sound this way?

I'm anticipating a lot of sarcasm but I hope that someone will be sincere enough to keep me from worrying about the fate of my new brand.

BE NICE!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
It's a Ducati. You do know it has Desmodromic valves, right? If not, you need to do a little research...

Desmodromic valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All you are hearing is the Ducati music of the Desmodromic valve system. It's what makes a Ducati a Ducati. Learn to appreciate it or you'll have to go back to the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It is surely concerning to a new owner, especially to one of a Ducati. I knew what to expect when I bought mine. It's music to my ears, youll get used to it :D. Everyone said my Speed Triple sounded like a sewing machine...now they say the Duc sounds like its falling apart. Little do they know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is surely concerning to a new owner, especially to one of a Ducati.
Thank you for understanding :)

I'm no newbie, I've earned my wings but never rode one ( Ducati) before and thanks to Mark maybe I'll understand the desmo system... I thought desmo was Italian for "engine design" or something.....

....now I gotta look up Testastretta.....

I too had many Triumph Triples and thats what I'm accustomed to.

·
Registered
254 Posts
nice video

those are the sweet sounds of a ducati symphony. add rpm, and if you could, an open clutch cover, to complete the orchestra.

crank the amp to 11 and enjoy the concert

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is the reason to get a louder exhaust. Interesting I test rode two bikes from different dealers, one had much more engine noise than the other. I was wondering if this had anything to do with state of tune or number of miles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havn't seen any stock exhaust mod threads on this forum yet. I wonder if anyone has taken a drill to this muffler system or tried to open it up a bit.

Show me the thread and I'm in. I want a little more exhaust noise but I've spent enough money already. The wife is threatening me to take her on vacation. Get me the drill................................haha I can kill two birds with one stone (or bit)!

·
Registered
750 Posts
...it pings, ticks, chatters and makes sounds I can't even describe. It dosn't even have a dry clutch. I feel like I have loose valves and my bike is inpersonating a old model T Ford with a custom steam engine or something......I keep looking down at the ground thinking I'll see parts falling off or a bolt hitting the asphault...

...Is this a "Ducati thing" or should I have the Ducati tech test ride it. Stupid question but; do all Ducati's sound this way?
IMO, have your tech ride it. Sorry, but while my bike makes all the usual "desmo" noises (a little clickety-clackety), it doesn't sound anywhere near as "something's gonna blow!" as my Guzzi (btw, I LOVE the sound of the Guzzi motor....mechanical music), and is about the same as my BMW GS. If your bike is really making sounds like something is going to fall off, maybe something is...... :eek:

-SM

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The banging noise you hear is the wet clutch. I guess Ducati feels every clutch has to make a ton of noise. I enjoy the sound of my dry clutch, however the banging noise of this wet clutch is taking some getting used to
Huh!?! There's no 'banging' noise coming from the wet clutch on my MTS 1200! :eek:

·
Registered
492 Posts
+1, "banging" more of a knocking sound. The Diavel has a diff clutch casing which eliminates this knocking sound as my dealer told me.

The banging noise you hear is the wet clutch. I guess Ducati feels every clutch has to make a ton of noise. I enjoy the sound of my dry clutch, however the banging noise of this wet clutch is taking some getting used to

·
Registered
513 Posts
I rode a Ducati for a few years then went back to a japanese sportbike. When coming back to Ducati the sound of the motor had me sitting on the ground listening to it. Its the way these engines run. If you are that concerned have your tech ride it, he will say its just fine, but if it helps you relax....go for it.

When I had my 749s I started it up and my cousin stopped by. His word were..."dude for an expensive bike that thing sounds like shit." I prefer folgers coffee can filled with some nuts and bolts but hey...

joe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Noise is good

Okay, I'm about 2 weeks into ownership, made some farkles, new friends, etc.

Now that I'm more comfortable in here, its time to drop the bomb....

See, I've never owed a Ducati before and most of my bikes have been four cyclinders, triples, and a couple of V and paralell twins (Aprilia, KTM, Triumph), not to mention the numorous single lungers I've had; but I gotta tell you, this L90 2 cylinder engine sounds like nothing I've ever ridden.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the engine noises. Seems to runs fine, its nice and smooth, and has power everywhere but.....

I'm anticipating a lot of sarcasm but I hope that someone will be sincere enough to keep me from worrying about the fate of my new brand.

BE NICE!
Think of it this way - noise is good. No noise = the bike is dead or turned off.

Ducati bikes have "personality" - part of that is the beautiful sounds that they make. Yes there are unique sounds that you won't hear on other bikes. clutches have been the brunt of jokes for many years - but they work as advertised.

They also vibrate. If you want a smooth bike get a Gold Wing and enjoy riding a sofa with two wheels. Great bike, but has its unique place in motorcycling.

One question - if you are hearing all of these noises - are you wearing a helmet and ear plugs? If not you should. Bikes make noise but wind noise is also bad for the ears and can add to fatigue.

Think of a Ducati as a Martini or drinking Scotch - you build a taste for it and then can't get enough of it.

Lee
2010 Ducati Multistrada MS1200 S Touring
2010 BMW R1200RT

·
Registered
359 Posts
I will admit I thought the engine on the MTS was very quiet. Of course my Honda had the valve tensioner noises, flat slides rattled in the carbs and the clutch was starting to make some noises. I had an XR350R with a bad con-rod bearing as well once, so I think I am just happy to have a new, quiet bike. If I could just stop the wind screen from rattling....

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a fellow first-timer, I must concur with the OP. I still can't appreciate how anyone can call the sounds this bike makes "music". Mine sounds like someone rattling a can of bolts and the exhaust is flat out the least melodious note I've ever heard from the rear end of a combustion engine. Admittedly, I'm more attuned to the muscle-car sounds from my previous 4th-gen VFR, so maybe that's just the way I fly.

I've contemplated an exhaust, but I'm worried about dropping that kind of cash and finding that it just makes the noise louder!

Love the rest of the bike, though.

·
Bon Vivant
10,574 Posts
I am not a first timer - I've owned several Ducatis including others with the Testastretta engine.

StreetfighterS, a 1098S, MH900e and a S2R1000. I hang out with Ducati guys on a regular basis and have worked on and heard 100's of them.

This MTS is freakin NOISY!!! much more noise than any Duc I've ever heard.

I took my bike back to the dealer - They offered to give me another bike but we started and listened to several MTS's and they all make a lot of noise.
I decided that it was a normal trait of the multi but I still don't like it.

Rayzor you may be new but you're right.

Check this other thread...

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/109675-valvetrain-noise.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I could live with it as long as I know its normal. That seems to be the consenious here so I'll adapt accordingly. If the trade off for the perfect sport/touring bike with comfortable ergos is engine noise, then I'll take it.

I've been waiting for a factory built sporty with upright bars for a long time. The Aprilia Tuono was perfect but could not hold luggage. When I saw the MTS, I knew it was going to be the bike for me. Maybe I'll buy ear plugs. Its just a little weird to hear some people enjoy the music this thing makes. :eek: I can't stand my kids music either but apparently "they do". I can respect that!

The prettiest growl I've ever heard was the sound of my speed triple with aftermaket straight throughs and my Tuono at about 9000 RPMs; nothing compares. Oh, but then there was the first generation FZ1 with the EXUP valve in the exhaust. When you hit 7000k the valve opened, the rocket launched, and the exhaust sang "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

WaWUNNNNNNNNN WUNNNNNNNNNN WAWUNNNNN..........

1 - 20 of 37 Posts