Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my first post here. Great site! I have been wanting a 999/1098 for quite some time. I am just really beginning my research regarding the Ducati bikes. As listed, the 999 and 1098 are the two bikes I am interested in, but only looking to buy one or the other.

Have been riding for over 25-yrs. I have bought/owned the following street bikes........

'84 Honda V65 Magna
'86 Honda VFR 750 Interceptor
'86 Kawasaki Ninja 900
'86 Suzuki GSX-R 1100
'89 Suzuki GSX-R 750
'94 Suzuki GSX-R 750
'03 HD FATBOY
'05 Kawasaki ZX-10R

I also ride on the dirt as well.......(Arizona trails only)

'02 Yamaha YZ426 (thumper)
'03 Yamaha YZ250 (2-stroke)

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice or good reference material (other than this site) regarding either of the 999 or 1098 bikes.......

Greatly appreciate your help! Thanks.......

Wes

·
Registered
227 Posts
The worst thing about the 999 is that you become a prisoner of the RED key and the possible immobilizer problems that come with it. I like the dash layout of the 999 more than the 1098 series and the overall build quality of the 999 series is better than the 1098 series. The 1098 handles better but the 999 is more comfortable. There are fewer 999 models out there than 1098 models. Both will get your attention when you twist the throttle. I guess it comes down to the deal you can get.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Go ride the 1098 for sure. It's going to be a lot easier to be able to test ride the 1098 right now since it's the current bike on the market @ dealerships.

If you can also find a xx9 series to ride, do so for the sake of ergos, even if it's a 749.

It's going to be a world of difference from anything you're ridden in the past based on the list you've provided.

Once you've ridden both I'm guessing the decision will be pretty easy to make.

Personally, I can't stand the look of the new 1098/848 (too Japanese) and love the look of the xx9 series bikes. But I also realize I'm in the minority here.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Go ride the 1098 for sure. It's going to be a lot easier to be able to test ride the 1098 right now since it's the current bike on the market @ dealerships.

It's going to be a world of difference from anything you're ridden in the past based on the list you've provided.
+10

It's a VERY different animal from any of the japanese inline 4's I've had. You owe it to yourself to try it out first.

The other thing about the 1098 and newer is the longer maintenance interval. Thats worth something too.

I personally love the styling of the 1098, but thats personal pref.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally, I can't stand the look of the new 1098/848 (too Japanese) and love the look of the xx9 series bikes. But I also realize I'm in the minority here.
That's because Japanese companies copied the 916 design. So what you should say is the 1098/848 just looks like an updated 916.. :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The fit and finish just doesn't do it for me. Not to mention, everything from the seat back looks italian but from that point forward...not so much, but I digress...back to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for some of the advice and feedback fella's. I did forget to mention that I plan to "rent" both bikes, then make a choice. There is 1-2 places in the area that rent these bikes for about $100 a day. The main thing I am concerned about is how well I fit the bike. I am 6'1/230. My ZX-10R is a cramped/uncomfortable fit versus the way I fit my '86 GSX-R 1100.

Couple more questions:

Does anyone know the maintenance interval's on each bike and a ballpark price for routine scheduled maintenance costs? I am mechanically inclined, so some of the basic stuff I can do myself.

What mechanical "trouble" areas do either of the bikes present that is fairly common?

What things should I pay extra special attention to when going to look at one of these bikes before I pull the trigger on a purchase? I'm pretty meticulous about stuff, so I know what you look for when it comes to "eye-ball" condition, but I know nothing about these bikes and don't want to make a mistake. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think the easiest way for you to get the answers you are looking for is to do a THREAD SEARCH utilizing that search button on the top of the page....
Besides getting biased opinions or a "not-so" common problem one guy is having,
you can get an avg based on many users....
Best of luck with your decision!! And WELCOME to the site....

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
If only you could rent a 999R, its like a separate model of 999.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts