Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Ducati last week. 1999 SuperSport 900. Carbon Remus exaust, upgraded airbox, Corbin seat, carbon timing belt covers, clutch basket cover, and front sprocket cover, and custom paint. The guy who owned it before worked at a Ducati dealership and took amazing care of it, less than 10,000 mile. Check out some pics Here

So far I'm absolutely in love with it, what are some things to look out for with this particular model?

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
You need to look out for.....

DEER
DOGS
CATS

LOL!

You will find that the SSie models are pretty much bullet proof.
I have thrashed mine for 11K miles with no issues.
Keep up the maintenance, have the valves checked every 6K miles, change the oil every 3K. And belts changed every two years.

That is pretty much it!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Great looking bike. How many miles have you put on her? How comfy is the seat after 45 min of riding? That is my next upgrade.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've put on about 500 miles so far on it, longest ride being about 100. The seat is great, the only discomfort I had was a kink in my neck, but coming from a Ninja 500 I'd expect it to take some time to get used to.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Hey, that bike looks fantastic! Congratulations on a great purchase. You'll love it.

If you find it a bit uncomfortable, note that the 2000 and later models had a 1-cm spacer under the bars, just over the top triple clamp, which raises the bars a bit. Should be an easy mod if you need it.

Not too much to worry about with these bikes. The little rubber mounting studs that hold the instruments sometimes let go. That will be obvious if it happens. Very small oil leaks around the engine side cases are not uncommon. Cylinder base gasket leaks sometimes come up, but usually before 10,000 miles, I think.

Generally very solid, and easy to work on too, once you learn a few tricks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm approaching 20k miles on mine very quickly (within the next month). Just rolled over 18k today.

Been on two 2500 mile trips through arkansas in the last year.

I commute on the bike every day.

I absolutely LOVE this bike. Simply haven't grown tired of it, which s quite unusual for me....lol

Still running strong, no problems at all.

Regarding the seat. I had a corbin on my 750 and on this 900 for a while. I ended up parting with it. Sure it was comfortable, but I couldn't move on it AT ALL. I couldn't shift off of the seat in the corners when I really wanted to get on it.

And quite honnestly, the factory seat if perfectly fine IMO. All it takes is some time in the saddle to get used to it. 600 mile days are no problems with me.

I'd also look into the Cycle Cat risers, they are simply amazing, and aren't that much more $$ than all of the other options out there.

Enjoy and WELCOME!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sweet

Sweet looking bike Dracoleb!

Exactly the same model / colour as mine. If not already fitted, have you thought of getting a Evoluzione (EVO) clutch slave? Not too expensive (bout $150-180 USD), easy to fit and makes the clutch pull just right - not too stiff and not too light (said goldilocks). Nor more tired fingers in traffic...

:D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm loving this bike more every day. I'm growing to like it's position, but I may look into risers in the future. I find I can move around a lot with the Corbin seat, much easer to hang off than the Ninja 500. The next thing I need to do is get some tires, any reccomendations there? Also how difficult is it to adjust the valves. As I understand it that is the most expencive thing about owning a Ducati if you're having a dealership service it. Figure the tools and a set of stands would be cheaper, assuming it's a straight forward procedure.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
compared to the ninja?

how dare you!

hehe

I challenge you to get a stock seat on there for a few hundred miles and tell me you still think you can move around on the corbin. :)

tires....are you wanting sport or sport touring.

I'll throw myself 200% behind the Michelins....Pilot Powers for sport and Pilot Roads for touring. Absolutely amazing tire, and great mileage out of them.

Get the manuals and read them as to how to do the valve adjustments.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In the same boat!

I have also recently bought my first Ducati, a 98 900 SS. Carb model because I like their looks better.

I took my first ride today, the snow has just melted and its a lot of gravel on the roads so I took it easy.

First impressions were very good. I was afraid it would be to little engine but it wasnt. It has a bit "lightswitch" throttle effect, I thought that was for injected bikes but even the Laverda Diamante was better. TL 1000 is not.

The gearing is to tall for the roads around here and I dont know what sixth is for. I think I'll get a 39 tooth rear sprocket right away.

Anyway two cylinders is for me, and I think I can bother bikes with a lot more hp with this one. I just have to come up with a name for her.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
dracoleb said:
I'm loving this bike more every day. I'm growing to like it's position, but I may look into risers in the future.

Ditto on the risers. Once that was done on mine, it made the world of difference. Not so much comfort but from the visual standpoint of not having to look up all the time. It was easier on the Supersport in the twisties vs my 916. It felt like I was floating on air. Damn, I miss that bike, it was bulletproof. What kind of risers is a whole different subject, check out Migz124 or something like that post on the subject, excellent.

Glad you picked up a 2V, they are definitely underrated machines. I remember once in the hills I was in a line of very fast riders, a buddy of mine behind me was on a 999. We were following a fast girl and once we stopped he came up to me and said, "Thats BS you have only 78HP, I don't believe it" My bike was slightly modified with a lightened flywheel, slipons, chip, revalved forks, Ohlins shock and Marvic Mags. The usual stuff, but still, no more than 83-85 HP. I had no problems keeping up with way more powerful bikes in the tight twisty stuff.

Have fun Bro!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts