Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I rode my friend's 620 monster and I adored it.After that ride I have been lusting for a Ducati every day. I have been riding for the last 13 years, so riding isn't really new to me. I have owned a series of bikes starting at a PW-80 and going through a DT-175 2-stroke, XL-200 and a NX-4 Falcon. Now I want a Ducati so I went to my local dealer to check them out. I was set on a 796 monster. Then I saw the Streetfighter 848. (I want to start on 800's) So now I am torn between the Monster and SF. Which one is better for commuting, in terms or reliability and maintenance, and most importantly which one is more fun? I have no prior Ducati experience apart from a valve job on the 620. Which bike is best as my first Duc?

·
Registered
124 Posts
monster will be easier to maintain and cheaper. sf will be faster and handle better. i commute on an 1100 monster and couldn't be happier. i say monster for first duc.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
The 796 is a nice bike if you don't have much riding experience. The 848SF and the 1100 Monster are in a completely different class. I would lean toward the 849SF or the 1100 Monster if you can afford them as well as the maintenance. It makes no sense to get the 796 just to quickly trade it for the SF848 or the 1100 Monster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The only problem I have with the M1100 is that where I live the SF 848 is actually cheeper. If not 1100 would have been my way to go. How is the maintenance on the Monster, does it require cam adjustments very often? Does it heat up a lot when you are in traffic? And one other thing, where I live the roads are rubbish really. There are great riding roads but normal city ones are really shitty. Does the monster have good ground clearance and "comfy" suspension?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Sectret Squirrel. In CR the Monster 1100 Evo is 22K. It's really really expensive, just 3k under a 1098 SF. Monster 796 is 13k and 848 SF is 15.5K. And how is the Testastretta engine in the street? Is it always begging to be ridden hard? Does it overheat in traffic? In terms of ground clearance, does it have problems with speed bumbs and pot holes?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I have a 1099SFS. Yes, the engine is a bit temperamental with the 43degree overlap cams. The 848SF has the less aggressive 11degree cams. I have not ridden an 848SF but the 11degree engines are supposed to be less temperamental. The 848SF is a deep sump engine so you do need to be cautious about the sump and the lower radiator. If your roads are crappy maybe a Hyper Motard would be another good choice.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot. I've booked a test ride for both bikes for next thursday. I'll try and see which one fits me best but I feel its gona be the 848. Thanks a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts