Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Monsters aficionados,

I am about to very soon spend my war chest on a used Duc Monster and I have wto different model currently in my sight.
Both with around 5K miles, roughly the same price and in immaculate condition. Both are coming with all manuals, keys and original parts.

-2007 S4R
00A0A_eQ1BiKcDLQ6_1200x900.jpg

The S4R is equipped with the awesome engine although I am not crazy with the color scheme, also the exhaust system is way to big for my personal taste. When it comes down of naked bike I am an absolute minimalist.
The exhaust would have to be swapped with a Termi shorty or Zard/Spark dual high mount "modified" :grin2: more with that later.

-2010 1100S
01515_eML52gGQTca_600x450.jpg

The 1100S is equipped with the awesome suspension system and comes in my favorites color for a Duc. It will require a proper exhaust and there are plenty models to chose.
How reliable is the air cooled engine compare to the S4R engine?

Now the big question is Which one should I go for???
I understand it might come down to my personal taste and because I am not knowledgeable with Ducati's in general other factors should be considered like recalls and reliability issues.
Is there anything specific I should watch for and pay any special attention to? (I heard about tank swelling)

Needless to say that the obvious answer of getting both would possibly lead to a divorce and is not an option...it takes time to and patience to raise a herd :grin2:
I understand this is a good dilemma to have :grin2: meanwhile I missed out on two S4RS last week and don't plan on missing on these two bikes available now.

Please let me know you think, any input and advises will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Do either of the bikes have any documentation of maintenance? Low mileage bikes of that age are definitely due for a belt replacement if it hasn't already. Maintenance is crucial as the belts are really only good for about 5 years.

Personally, I like to 1100s. Better suspension, better wheels, better color, and great, reliable motor that is easy to maintain.

However, if you get a line on a S4rs that is a bit of a different story.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Air Cooled 11s with the DS motor. That is probably the best motor Ducati ever made. No brainer for me. 11s!

t_bare

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HyperJB,

Thanks for your reply and yes, they come with maintenance schedule and all documentation, the 7500 miles service is expected. You believe the motor of the 1100S is more reliable?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The 1100ds motor is much easier to work on, cost less to maintain, and is generally more fun to ride. The 998 water cooled motor is a very good motor but is more complicated and expensive to own. Nothing wrong with either. If you want to haul ass everywhere you go with your head on fire go 998. If you want to ride a fun happy bike with plenty of power and stupid grin inducing torque then 1100ds. I own both a 998 Superbike and a 1100HypeS and do my own wrenching. At 5k, the maintenance documentation will be pretty scant.

Have fun, ride them both, and don't turn this decision making process into work.
t_bare

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am partial to the air-cooled motors, as others have noted they're relatively easy to work on and cheaper too. The 1100 motor is a torque monster, you will be pulling wheelies without trying for the first couple of weeks. The Ohlins suspension is way better than the base model suspension also. And the 1100 is red. :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Follow your heart my friend

Hello Monsters aficionados,

I am about to very soon spend my war chest on a used Duc Monster and I have wto different model currently in my sight.
Both with around 5K miles, roughly the same price and in immaculate condition. Both are coming with all manuals, keys and original parts.

-2007 S4R
View attachment 906337

The S4R is equipped with the awesome engine although I am not crazy with the color scheme, also the exhaust system is way to big for my personal taste. When it comes down of naked bike I am an absolute minimalist.
The exhaust would have to be swapped with a Termi shorty or Zard/Spark dual high mount "modified" :grin2: more with that later.

-2010 1100S
View attachment 906345

The 1100S is equipped with the awesome suspension system and comes in my favorites color for a Duc. It will require a proper exhaust and there are plenty models to chose.
How reliable is the air cooled engine compare to the S4R engine?

Now the big question is Which one should I go for???
I understand it might come down to my personal taste and because I am not knowledgeable with Ducati's in general other factors should be considered like recalls and reliability issues.
Is there anything specific I should watch for and pay any special attention to? (I heard about tank swelling)

Needless to say that the obvious answer of getting both would possibly lead to a divorce and is not an option...it takes time to and patience to raise a herd :grin2:
I understand this is a good dilemma to have :grin2: meanwhile I missed out on two S4RS last week and don't plan on missing on these two bikes available now.

Please let me know you think, any input and advises will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Follow your heart my friend, go with what makes you smile like a 10yr. old :)
I myself own a 08 Monster S4RS Tricolore and I could not be happier...

L8tr
Pete

·
Smut peddler
1,142 Posts
The first gen monster is to me the purest form of modern sporting motorcycle there is (along with the sport classic), which I find appealing. Bare bones, beautiful lines, nothing more than what's needed. The 2nd Gen fits me better (5'8", t-rex arms), handles better, and carries the same lines, just a bit more refined, and I love the 1100 motors. As stupid as it is, I'll probably have a s2r1000 sitting next to my 1100 someday, because every time I see one, I stop and stare at its beautiful simplicity. Probably buy Duckmans, pay top dollar, get some signed polishing socks thrown in on the deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first gen monster is to me the purest form of modern sporting motorcycle there is (along with the sport classic), which I find appealing. Bare bones, beautiful lines, nothing more than what's needed. The 2nd Gen fits me better (5'8", t-rex arms), handles better, and carries the same lines, just a bit more refined, and I love the 1100 motors. As stupid as it is, I'll probably have a s2r1000 sitting next to my 1100 someday, because every time I see one, I stop and stare at its beautiful simplicity. Probably buy Duckmans, pay top dollar, get some signed polishing socks thrown in on the deal.
I completely agree, the minimalist approach, bare look of a motorcycle with beautiful line is what compels me to own a Duc M.

This is the one that got away:
00Z0Z_i3vv6JGDlP7_1200x900 (1).jpg
00q0q_k4BlCQxvrLT_1200x900.jpg

Seems like the S4RS are very sought after and they don't remain very long on the market.
This the feel I am trying to reproduce, a blend of high tech components with a classic look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found two more candidates locally.

-2013 1100 EVO with 4.5K miles
00N0N_iHD4QtNzztF_600x450.jpg

-2007 S4RS with 12K MILES
00707_8ANvUdZkn0H_1200x900 (1).jpg

Beside the Ohlins suspension and dual exhaust, is there any other significant difference between and 2010 1100S and 2013 1100 Evo? Which one would be better motorcycle to own?

12000 miles is that considered a lot for a R4RS engine?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Ha ! No, 12000 is not a lot of miles for any Ducati. But they’ll be due for maintenance at that point. S4RS is a Testastretta water cooled 4 v motor with Ohlins Suspension front and rear.

·
Smut peddler
1,142 Posts
I found two more candidates locally.

-2013 1100 EVO with 4.5K miles
View attachment 906666

-2007 S4RS with 12K MILES
View attachment 906674

Beside the Ohlins suspension and dual exhaust, is there any other significant difference between and 2010 1100S and 2013 1100 Evo? Which one would be better motorcycle to own?

12000 miles is that considered a lot for a R4RS engine?
Evo is the cream of the air cooled mota crop, the DS S model has better suspension, and a proper Ducati dry clutch. You can put high and tight dual cans on an Evo. Trust me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
From what I have read the Evo has traction control, ABS, wet clutch and an extra 5 HP. The S has gold suspenders which is visually nice to look at, also a dry clutch with the noise associated with.

I scheduled viewing of the S4RS tomorrow and Sunday I will go look at the 1100S and make a decision afterwards. The one offering the better riding position for my 6'4" frame might be a factor as well.

Anyway, weather is getting nice out-here and the cash is literally burning in my pocket :)

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That’s literally amazing ! ?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts