Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

First bike, with a twist...

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Bill_Anderson 
#1 ·
First of all, I'm sorry to be the A-typical forum/motorcycle newb, asking the question that gets asked several thousand times a day, but I've yet to read this question get answered, pertaining to my paticulars. So, here it goes -

I'm looking to get my first bike, have taken the MSF course, and have always fawned after Ducati's. My wife recently said I could buy one, woot! ;) At any rate, the part of the question that I haven't seen pertaining to me is, I'm 6'5" and 330lbs... yea, big guy, if anybody here is a UFC fan, I'm built nearly exactly like Brock Lesnar, except bigger, lol.

I was at the local dealer a couple of days ago, and was sitting on ninja 500R, which just didn't fit me at all, which I mentioned to the sales guy that was helping me. He went on and on about how hard it is to hold anything bigger up, and that too big a bike makes it easy to drop with that much weight... after a few minutes of listening to this, I got off the bike, reached down lifted the bike off the ground.... which just so happen to get his attention. I'm not worried about the bike weighing too darn much for me, I'm interested in getting a bike that won't bog down under my weight, and that is somewhat comfortable for my large frame.

Obviously, everybody wants an 1198, 848, etc. but I've done my reading, and I know those are too much bike for me. I've had a love afair with the 748 throughout the years though, and wonder what you guys think of that as a first? I absolutely love naked bikes as well, and... well, I'll just let you guys, the experts, tell me what you think, I could blabber on about Duc's all night, heh.

To be honest, I'm a fan of anything Ducati, love naked bikes, love sport bikes, love 'em all, hah. Which is the primary reason I've chose this as my first bike, and have come here to hear what you guys have to say. Tired of being talked down to by salesmen that think they're talking to a moron, simply because I'm big enough to bench press their favorite bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
Based upon your heft, I'd say that as long as you have a sane head on your shoulders get whatever bike fits your size first then your wallet. New or used you have quite a range. I'd avoid any of the "lower powered" monsters (6xx series). Sit on 'em and then make your decision. If incorporating used bikes then it could take some time since they're not just sitting in the show room though I would always recommend used for a first bike. Good luck. :)

#3 ·
Taller Ducatiriders i know like the NEWER SS´s, Multistrada aswell as most Superbikes. The tallest rider i know is about your height and he swears by his Hypermotard.
I´d stay away from Monsters although ST´s would probably fit quite well..

Don´t worry about the bikes weight. A Lady friend of mine weighs in at about 115 lbs and she rides a 749.. With gusto i might add!
She´s abit on the short side for the Hypermotard thou :D

//amullo

#4 ·
Obviously, everybody wants an 1198, 848, etc. but I've done my reading, and I know those are too much bike for me. I've had a love afair with the 748 throughout the years though, and wonder what you guys think of that as a first?
My first bike was a brand new Ducati (1991 907ie) so I'm not against a Ducati as a first bike, but I'd say a Superbike (any superbike) would SUCK as a first and/or only bike. I'm positive there are others who will flame me for that but it's how I feel.

I have a 996. It's the worst streetbike I've ever owned. Uncomfortable ergos (I'm 5' 10" btw), geared too tall for slower traffic, not much fun to ride at slower (read "legal") speeds, heat off the exhaust in traffic sucks, yadda yadda yadda. I love the bike, but it's not my first choice of bike to ride 90% of the time.

That said, if you just HAVE to have that style bike, I'd get a 916/996/998 over a 748. The price isn't much different and the things that make a 748 so sweet to the guys who prefer it over a larger bike are going to be lost on a newbie. FWIW I'd choose a 749 over a 748 too.

I'd agree you shuold sit on a few bikes and get an idea of what feels good to you. Keep in mind that racers tuck may feel cool in the showroom, but out on the street when you're craning your neck to see the stoplight with your wrists aching and your shoulders burning... well...

I'll agree with another poster and suggest you try out a Hypermotard? I've got a buddy who's only about 6' 3" but he loves them...

I'd also agree to stay away from the smaller bikes cuz, well, they're small, and you aren't. Unless of course you LIKE hearing jokes about monkeys and footballs... :p

#5 ·
I always recommend that a new rider get a used UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) and ride it for 1-2 years to get a realistic idea of your riding style and needs. As someone said, that Superbike may look cool in the show room, but that is not where you will be putting on the miles. Repairing damage to a UJM caused by typical beginner's mistakes will also be cheaper that repairing a Superbike.

That being said, there are a number of bikes that sit high for taller riders: Suzuki V Strom, Triumph Tiger, Aprilia Capo Norde, and Ducati Multistrada. I suggest you check out all of them out.

Given your super size, look at a used Gold Wing. They have plenty of manageable power, are quite easy to ride, and may be more comfortable for you. While not a Superbike, they can do a credible job in the twisties in the hands of a good rider.

As for uprighting a tipped over bike, it is a matter of leverage and technique, not brute strength.

#6 ·
Sweet

First, thanks for all the replies, great info that I will take to heart.

I saw Hypermotard mentioned a couple of times, which I actually love as well, but isn't a bit on the powerful side for a new rider? Or, will weighing 150lbs more than the average rider offset that? (Picture most of you guys with your wife on behind you, that's me period, heh.) The SuperMoto, Naked/Streetfighter look is really hot, and they feel pretty good too.

I'm not at all set on getting a sportbike as a first bike, I'm just like everyone else and love how it looks, but perhaps as a second bike a couple of years down the road. I make my living with my license, and am not a speed demon by any stretch of the word, but still enjoy having the "get-up" that these bikes offer... just a normal guy in other words, lol.

I'm moldable here guys, just please keep it in the Ducati family. I'm not "set" in any paticular way as far as by the type of bikes, just want a Ducati. I can go down and see which bike is comfortable, hell I sat on an 1198 just for sh*ts and giggles, and it felt great, but I'm not even in the parking lot of the ballpark of that bike, heh. You guys are the ones with the miles spent on these bikes, so I bow to your superior knowledge.

By the way, Amullo, that picture is awesome, lol. Looked like my wife sitting on a few of bikes I tried, lol.

#7 ·
I know you're a big guy but I'd still say getting a 600cc tops for your first bike. I think a Monster 696 is too much, but getting a SV650 or Gladius or something like that would be a good starter.

Anything bigger is too much for a newbie to handle, despite your size.

Good luck with your purchase.

#8 ·
welcome to the forum man... first off... can you post a pic of you holding the little Kawi over yer head?... it would be priceless...

my $.02?.. if you feel ya really want a new Ducati for a first bike.. i think the Multi-Strada or Hyper-Motard will be your options...

i'm sure sitting on an 1198 or 848 felt great.. i like 'em as well.. the problem is after being on them for an hour or so, well that feeling changes for some... me personally?.. the riding position is a little tooo racy for my longer rides (5-600 miles)... so i ride a 900ss.. i'm 6'2.. around 215 and it fits me fine... so for a used bike ya might find a great deal on an older "SS"...

as far as power?... well you will slow a bike down a bit with yer heft, but i believe your mind and right wrist play as big a part to dealing with power as well... and wear gear.. i don't care how hot it is.. i'm in full leathers every time... just carry liquids..

i also think that an older Kawi might be worth a look.. ZXR1200 perhaps.. sorry.. not a Ducati, but a great bike that will be everything your looking for.. agaian.. just my $.02...

shinny side up..

#10 ·
The Hyper would be fine as I mentioned in my earlier post. I've ridden it. Nice power for me "2 up" so you'd work fine. It's not "insane" power like a 1098/999, etc. Seems rather docile to me actually and it's geared well for a, um, heavier load. My perspective may be skewed slightly as one of my bikes has over 200h.p. but I don't think so. ;)

#11 ·
Well, tough guy, I'm 6' and 167lbs of bad em effer. You big guys aint shit.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously, I think you've got a good attitude and a great sense of humor. I hope you find what you're looking for. Because I'm such a lightweight, I aint got a bike for you. But, most of the people on here will give you straight up info. Good luck!:)

#12 ·
For your size you can't go wrong with any of the air cooled ducs as your first bike. i'm 6'3" 210lbs and my first bike was/is a 2001 900 monster. Its great has decent power, but not to much to learn on. At first after coming of the MSF buell blasts it seemed to have shit loads of torque but after riding for a year I am ready for something faster. I think if you go for one of the 600 size you will outgrow it way to fast.

I say go for whichever air cooled duc you like the looks of best and feels the most comfortable to you.

It seems that people on this forum hate the monster, but to me its a beautiful and great first bike. You would just want some drop down pegs or rear sets. I'd go for an older one, Last year I got my 2001 for 5k 2001 is the first year for fuel injection a plus in my book since i can program fuel injection but not a carb lol im new school i guess.

#13 ·
One other older bike to consider that might still "fit the bill" is an FJ1200 (OK, I'm MORE than a little biased here :) ) Good torque, comfortable (I've done multiple 800 mile days on mine) and a damned-near bullet-proof engine.
Don't get me wrong! I love my 748, but it's more my "headin' for the twisties" toy, not my daily commuter. I did put 300 miles on the 748 the other day, but I wouldn't sign up to do that on any kind of schedule! (or ever, actually).

#16 ·
HYPER
MULTI
if you need more pulling from a stoplight power....STREETFIGHTER.
the streetfighter is suprisingly roomy...so dont rule that one out.

guys the man has already said keep it Ducati... so lets keep it there.

#17 ·
You don't think the Streetfighter would be too powerful for a first bike?

The Streetfighter is the bike I ultimately want for my everyday bike, if it would work out, I'd pee myself, lol.

I'm also really leaning towards the Hyper, type of bike really appeals to me.

#24 ·
I thought a lot about this before I replied to it.

I'm not looking for a toe-to-toe confrontation with you manso, however I feel like I'm doing a disservice to a new rider by not replying.

I disagree with this statement entirely. The power is not "just in your head".

Could you go out and buy a Streetfighter and be okay? Sure why not.
Just keep this in mind, you crawl before you walk, when you work out you do 3 sets of 10 everyday for a while before you move up to 3 sets of 20. That is just the natural order of things if you want to be safe.

You could really really hurt yourself on a bike that powerful. Also as a new rider you don't know your own skills or limit. Hell who really knows themselves? If everyone could just look in a mirror and size themselves up why would we have shrinks?

Your first bike is not your last bike. If you MUST have a Ducati try to find an older monster 600. Keep that for a year, THEN get the bike you want.

I won't hate on you for whatever decision you make, but I felt like I needed to say this to you. If anyone wants to disagree with me that's fine, but I'm not going to debate it, this is my opinion.

#19 ·
if you want the street fighter get the street fighter if it fits you

seriously any bike is fast enough to get you in trouble if you let it

and any bike will go as slow as your right wrist makes it.

from your posts you seem like your head is screwed on straight and you dont have an ego problem so i think you will be fine

or if you want to get some experience first get the cheapest decent used bike you fit on rock it for 5 or 6 thousand mile and then get the street fighter you will appreciate it even more because it will be such a step up from what you were riding.

whatever way you go welcome aboard, good luck , and have a blast.

Motorcycling is like no other hobby and once it grabs you all other things in your life will seem less important.

#20 ·
from your posts you seem like your head is screwed on straight and you dont have an ego problem so i think you will be fine

Motorcycling is like no other hobby and once it grabs you all other things in your life will seem less important.
Thank you for that compliment, you guys saying things like that really mean alot to me.

Lol, I don't even own one yet and it's still at the front of my mind constantly, I think I'm driving my wife crazy talking about it. Watching the "Quick and the Dead" right now, and the whole time I'm sitting here with my laptop reading everything I can about motorcycles - *Somebody gets shot* "Ooooo... those gloves have metal protection for the hand, wicked!"

#22 ·
OP, too bad you're not 5'10" and 170lbs (or maybe too bad for me I'm not like you! lol)

Seriously though, an 08+ Ninja 250 would have been perfect (sorry, it's not a Duc). The engine is bullet proof, she's loud as ef with a slip-on, she gets tons of compliments wherever I take her, and oh yea...tons of fun to ride!

But I see how this may not be an option for you. There will be people you encounter who will swear by the 250, telling you that their friend is 8'2" and weighs 440lbs and they do fine on the 250. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. They're fanatics and they will get you in trouble if you take them seriously. LOL

Honestly though, like someone else said, it looks like you got a mature head on your shoulders and will do fine with whatever bike you choose.

Welcome to a new you! It's a decision that will have a tremendously positive impact on your life!!

#25 ·
One of my best friends is 6'5, 390 lbs, benches 400, squats 1400, and oh, he was a Benthic marine biologist. Now he just owns his own computer networking consulting company! Lol....anyway...

The Kawasaki ZZR1200. He loves this bikes. The Busa/12 didn't fit that well, but this bike he actually really enjoys riding. Because of his size, the bike was re-sprung fr/rr, and we put an extra brace on the fork (like a 3rd triple clamp) but that's a common thing for ZZR's. Also, of course, mandatory 3 up in the sprocket.

They can be had for pretty cheap. But whatever you do, for the most part, you will ABSOLUTELY need to re-spring any bike you choose.

#27 ·
i don't know.. i still think the ZXR 1200 kawi makes the most sense...

first bike price (knowing it's gonna fall over a few times... the first ones always do) of 5 grand... or 16 grand?.. don't forget to price quote insurance.. and you'll need gear too.

it all adds up pretty quick.. and new people to the game usually just focus on the price of the bike alone..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.