Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
background.
still chilly out, but i put on my thermals and went for it.
i was quite nervous the first time out because of
1. new bike with new riding position
2. more power on the 999 coming from an SV650s.
3. tall first gear
4. release compound on new tire (tires feel like a new hard eraser). chilly outside too.
5. my mind was full of rules (break-in), and i just finished Sportriding Techniques book.

here are my first comments.
1. using two finger clutch - lever doesn't go as far in, so the clutch is half engaged. releasing the clutch is instantaneous go. i do with the my 650, but with the tall gearing of the 999, i have to give it more gas. and more gas on the 999 forces me to be really smooth with my two clutch fingers. i will probably go back to 4 fingers for a while, just in case. (and you can't start the bike if you stall when clutch isn't all the way in).
2. rear brake - can't feel the lever through my boots that well. i think because it is covered in rubber. this will take more time to get used to. (i think i'm obsessive compulsive and have to constantly make sure my feet are in the right spot. i'm constantly pushing the signal off button as well. and checking mirrors. i should probably focus on riding/traffic more)
3. gear shifter - seems like a really long throw to me. but getting into gear is so easy.
4. riding position - so far, not bad at all. i like it. i have to work harder to turn my head and look behind. i think the foot pegs aren't in the right position for me. thighs were getting a bit sore, as i'm trying not to put weight in the arms/wrists. my feet don't go flat on the ground - almost though.
5. the ride - bike felt light. turning was mindless. downshifting was easy to do smoothly. bike was pretty quiet.

so far, riding the bike felt really good. my biggest concern so far.. drumroll.. is stopping and starting. no surprise there, but i definitely don't feel overwelmed by the bike at all. of course, i've only gone to 5000 rpms, but my SV650s i've been riding is harder to ride i think.

gonna reflect some more, and go back out. wait. maybe i should hang out with wife a bit too.

oh. one more concern, as i was turning into my driveway that has a slope, i heard a big clunk. any ideas? it doesn't sound like a chain, but i don't know.

:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 'clunk' more than likely a mis-selected gear, happens to me at times. You need to be more positive with gear changes. Is this a NEW bike? If so, you really should go for a longer ride, in my experience these bikes aren't cooking until you're doing 100klm +. Whatever that is in miles. Good riding.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd heat cycle. i've gone through 60 miles of backroads in Oakton VA.

1. my knees clamping the tank really traps in the engine/exhaust heat. it got pretty uncomfortable, even though i was never standing still. opening the legs just a little was enough.
2. i really started to feel the wrist/back after 30 mins of twisties.

it didn't clunk going onto the driveway anymore. and i was already in 1st gear when it clunked the first time.

so far.. i must say.. i like it !

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Open er' up a bit. Early break in SHOULD include quick blasts to 9K or so.

Congrats,

my fairings have been in the paint shop for 10 weeks!! I'm getting real antsy!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes...please break that thing in the way you want it to run. Ring it out. There was a thread with an article not to long ago about the whole break in thing that I don't have a clue where it's at but I think the big picture was getting the rods stretched and the rings seated early on. Frequent sprints to 9,000+ are doing no harm. The harm to a new motor comes from bogging the motor down and having the revs too low. Every bike and vehicle for that matter I have ever owned get rung out from day one....ZERO problems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i've read quite a few theories on how to break-in. but heck, i just took her out for the 4th heat cycle. same back roads (still no highway or cruising yet), and i opened her up a bit. there's a whole new world above 6K rpms. i thought i was playing motogp on the xbox because things did get blurry fast. i took the corners better than ever.

here comes the false confidence.. sigh.. but it was so fun. i love the 999, the more i look the more i like. the more i ride.. the more i like.. i'm still in shock at the power delivery.

i do think the tall first gear will give me some pain on my commute to work. but that can be easily changed at my 600 mile service.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wowowowooww.. you should see my smile now! 2.5 days. 2.5 tanks of gas. and i'm riding it like i stole it. much better break-in technique!

the bike feels soo right.. except the heat on the crotch. its unbearable, even at 80mph, i often need to pull my knees apart. i have to figure something out. and i have to get used to the pegs being high off the road. other than that, i'm feeling one with the bike. i'm soooo happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts