Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Moto Guzzi V50, 2016 Audi A5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice - considering the purchase of a very low mileage ST3. It's been idle for some time (maybe a year). The bike has less than 4k miles on it with the original timing belts.

How likely is it the belts (or tensioner bearings) would let go at 17 years old?

Safe? Or is a test ride unwise?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Could snap at any second or in 4,000 miles being that old and set in position. Taking the cover off to look at it won't help, they will look new but be dry and ready to crack. The owner states the belts are original?
If you put it on a rear stand, in gear, with the spark plugs out - you could turn the engine over by rotating the rear wheel forward. Otherwise, take the seller at his word, buy the bike but don't start it until those belts are replaced. At 4k miles total, I wonder if he had the valve clearance checked under warranty?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Belts are the absolute weakest part of the Ducati motorcycle, they are all a hand grenade with the pin already pulled. They can really mess an engine up in one second when they snap.

·
Registered
2010 hypermotard 1100 evo sp
12 Posts
In my opinion, this is the seller's concern. If he wants to sell the bike as running, he needs to start it up. If it grenades, dont buy it. If he won't start it, offer the price you'd pay for a bike that won't run.

Personally, I'd be a bit concerned in the first place buying a bike from someone too lazy to change the belts in 17 years and reckless (or clueless) enough to be running the bike as recently as last year on 16 year old belts. I would wonder what other basic maintenence had been neglected.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Of you have no ownership and the current owner wants to prove it runs he may be in for a big bill. If you want to own an ST negotiate down and rent an endoscope to look inside. consult with some one who knows what they are looking at and screw the owner down. there are countless maintenance considerations.

I bought a neglected example 2 years ago. there was $1100 in parts and 2 days labour to do what I call a zero service \> wipe all items to zero. then add a shock service @ $700 There is no cheap bike.

ST s are a beautiful machine. If this one is good then it will serve you for many years. But its $4000 in a get rolling service.

If you buy it welcome to the ST club

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
There are many common reasons why nearly 20 year old bikes get put away and forgotten with no regular maintenance service, it's just those damm Ducati belts that make it a special problem over almost any other brand of bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts