Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of complaints about seeing ads everywhere since the new format was put in place. I don't see any ads, not a single one. I know for sure that at least one other member is also enjoying ad free use of the new format.

Both of us have something in common, we're using Firefox as our internet browser.

Anyone else using Firefox and enjoying ad free use of the new format here? If so, it may be the ticket for others to get the same full enjoyment of the new format ... which is providing lightning fast speed (unlike the old format) .... super fast image loading ... very clear images .... ease of use ... the ability to attach images in private messages (unlike the old format) ... unlimited private message storage (unlike the old format).

Let's also keep in mind that we have a wonderful forum with utter heaps of compiled information relative to our beloved Ducati motorcycles that goes back many many years .... free of charge.

This here place is the duck's nuts!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm using Firefox, and still see ads. Maybe there are some settings that can change that? The ads are mostly not a big bother, though, so I'm OK with having them in general to support the site. The only ones that bug are the Geico ads that are inserted into the actual threads.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using Firefox, and still see ads. Maybe there are some settings that can change that? The ads are mostly not a big bother, though, so I'm OK with having them in general to support the site. The only ones that bug are the Geico ads that are inserted into the actual threads.

PhilB
Hmmm .... I'll have to check my Firefox settings ... there may be an ad blocker that can be toggled on/off. Hopefully other Firefox users among the membership will have some ideas.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm using Waterfox 56, which is a "fork" of older Firefox code but still kept up to date and secure. This is based on a version of Firefox before it became Quantum and completely broke all the old add-ons. The old add-ons are what makes this special, because they "don't make them like that anymore". I'll get into that in a bit.

But reason #1: Waterfox has NO telemetry and NEVER phones home to tell the mothership anything. Firefox used to be good in that regard but these days they are as guilty and Google and Chrome.

Old Firefox extensions had way more power because they were written in XML. That's what makes Waterfox 56 great, it keeps Legacy add-ons and XML extensions.

Where this is leading is a certain set of add-ons that give me more power over web pages than anything else out today. Two main components -Adblock's Legacy Element Hiding Helper and Greasemonkey. (And I'm not talking about the current Element Hiding Helper which can't do anything the old one could) With those two tools I'm able to write filters and code that effectively re-write web pages to look the way I want them to.

And I mean completely, removing complete useless sections and removing overlays that fade out the content underneath them.

Even these days, when web pages are getting smart enough to detect adblockers to pop up an overlay telling you to disable your adblocker... well I block that too. I was disapointed with this new forum because I had to go back to work writing new filters and scripts to clean it up. But it's better now.

I have misty water colored memories of a day on the internet in the early 90s when there were no ads anywhere, and everything was run by hobbyists for hobbyists and companies weren't trying to monetize the F out of everything.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
Hmmm .... I'll have to check my Firefox settings ... there may be an ad blocker that can be toggled on/off. Hopefully other Firefox users among the membership will have some ideas.
I'm using a laptop with windows 7 pro, Firefox V7.0 and Zone alarm (free version)
No adds at all.
I'm assuming Firefox has an add blocker as I'm denied access to sites such as the DR650 riders site unless I allow them to disable my add blocker.. in which case I just get off that site.

·
7,547 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Worth a read
I've seen that article. Their recommendation, to use Firefox ESR instead, doesn't work anymore because Mozilla pulled support. Industry insiders are speculating that support was pulled because too many people were using that rather than going to Quantum.

After using Waterfox a while I can say that major security updates have been just as fast and in some cases faster than Mozilla.

The interesting part is why all Firefox forks are based on Firefox 56 code. It was because Mozilla determined that the add-ons had too much power and had to be controlled. Mozilla tried to kill off a whole huge collection of some of the most usedful add-ons ever made with Quantum. But they couldn't because the code was public. Several browser forks popped up, the best of which was Waterfox, IMHO. Now new versions of Firefox are neutered and can't do nearly as much as they could before. And on top of that they are collecting telemetry on you.

Firefox's orginal slogan was "Take Back the Web." Well people took too much so they had to get control again, Chrome style.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much of that has to do with Win10?

I'm still on Win7, at least until the end of this year (2019). I have an entire computer in components I've yet to construct:

*** ASUS Prime Z370-A motherboard.
*** three 1TB HDDs for content - Toshiba P3000 (7,200 rpm).
*** on board 250gb Samsung EVO NVME M.2 SSD for the OS and digital audio workstation software (no content).
*** 16GB 3000mhz (8x2) ram.
*** Intel I7 8700 (6 core x 12 thread, 12gb cache).
*** 500 watt fan cooled power supply.
*** and a complete DIY 4 fan air cooling system as well as a fully DIY wooden case with fully controlled and filtered air flow.

It's specifically for recording music. But I'm v.e.r.y. reluctant to load Win10 on it due to it's poor means of handling that task and the fact that it wants to be connected to the web 24/7 so it can call home to mommy at any time and perform updates ... all while shutting down whatever I'm up to regarding live recording sessions. Goddamed Big Brother getting into my underwear drawer!!

I may just load Win7 on that machine and isolate it from the interwebs altogether. Win10 on my internet machine.

But how do things change (if at all) regarding Firefox/Waterfox pertaining to Win7 vs Win10?

·
7,547 Posts
I've seen that article. Their recommendation, to use Firefox ESR instead, doesn't work anymore because Mozilla pulled support. Industry insiders are speculating that support was pulled because too many people were using that rather than going to Quantum.

After using Waterfox a while I can say that major security updates have been just as fast and in some cases faster than Mozilla.

The interesting part is why all Firefox forks are based on Firefox 56 code. It was because Mozilla determined that the add-ons had too much power and had to be controlled. Mozilla tried to kill off a whole huge collection of some of the most usedful add-ons ever made with Quantum. But they couldn't because the code was public. Several browser forks popped up, the best of which was Waterfox, IMHO. Now new versions of Firefox are neutered and can't do nearly as much as they could before. And on top of that they are collecting telemetry on you.

Firefox's orginal slogan was "Take Back the Web." Well people took too much so they had to get control again, Chrome style.
I was under the impression there are options to disable the phone home features in Firefox.. or am I wrong about that?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was under the impression there are options to disable the phone home features in Firefox.. or am I wrong about that?
Nah, you're right. There might be a bit more to it than a few check boxes but you can always force a browser to stop phoning home. It's more the thought that counts. I shy away from evil, and you never know what each new update will bring that the big evil team has been working on.

Chrome with Ad Block=no ads
If I were running Chrome, I'd probably go for ublock Origin, since it has a more effective element blocker. Gives you a bit more control over web pages. The old "Element Hiding Helper" I mentioned is the best, but ublock Origin's element blocker is the 2nd best. Don't like that whole right hand column over there? Nuke it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use firefox on a win 7 and win 10 computer, in the privacy settings you can turn off ads. Some sites rebel agains the ad blocker and won't run until you allow the ads. Thankfully this site does not do that. So I see no ads.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use firefox on a win 7 and win 10 computer, in the privacy settings you can turn off ads. Some sites rebel agains the ad blocker and won't run until you allow the ads. Thankfully this site does not do that. So I see no ads.
Built in ad-blocking is weak. On sites that "rebel" against ad blockers with full page overlays and instructions how to whitelist them, I use an old style "element hiding helper" to block the overlays. See above.

The real trick is to stay the hell away from new versions that are neutered. I run: Waterfox 56 (now called Waterfox classic) (which was immediately updated against the Firefox zero day, for those who think forks aren't safe) with Adblock Plus 2.9.1 and Element Hiding Helper 1.4. (safe old versions available at Filepuma) If I let Adblock Plus update itself to 3.X I lose access to the best version of element hiding helper, if I even get one at all.

To make a point, it has been the primary focus of browser developers to dumb down their browsers, and take power and control away from the end users and give it back to the businesses and webmasters. I'm not going for it.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I use Firefox and Arch, not updated in about 4/5 years, the interwebs does not really know what to do with that so it just leave me to my own devices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts