Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....

I am supposed to ride with DGJ and another buddy to Big Sur through the weekend. We are going to log a quick few hundred miles there and back as a shakedown for what we need to get fixed, added etc for the West Coast meetup next month. The bike is loaded + a few Opus X cigars and a flask Oban. Its gonna be a nice coastal CA Saturday.

I ride out from my pad in Pasadena through Hollywood to meet everybody - it's 7AM. We head out and cruise up PCH. Its raining and a bit cold. The bike starts to pop on deceleration. Oh [email protected] I push it a bit hoping everything will sort itself out. The check engine light comes on...oh [email protected] [email protected] My FLEDA goes out. Triple [email protected] And then I start to run on one cylinder...I think. I am now in Northern Ventura and on the side of the highway. I figure, along with DGJ, that I can run it to Santa barbara Ducati and get it looked at there. We drop it in to first, pop start it, and it runs for all of about two minutes before it is just lurching all over the place and running so bad that I call it a day. Also of note is that my front winkers are now working sporadically and double time. The wife gets a call to come pick me up in my truck. I load the bike. I drive home pissed that I have had more problems with my Ducati in 20,000 miles (had this electrical issue leave me stranded in Arizona riding with Dietrich. Blown Stator. Replaced under warranty) than I did in the same amount of miles as a squid (see riding at redline, or on one wheel, as much as possible in a t-shirt and Vans) on my CBR 600 in the late 90's.

I am hoping to tap some collective insight...

I believe the electrical demons reside somewhere here...lol :eek::eek::mad::)

Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Some issues I have had in the past that also could have caused a short...maybe...I dunno? My FLEDA license plate holder got ripped off hauling a$$ through Arizona twisties. The rear shock bottomed out at about 105 and forced the tire into some victorious contact with my plate. Left me with this...(note exposed license wire which I was going to reconnect when I had time...)

Thought a zip tie fixed everything till I could get around to it. Could wet weather and exposed wire really cause all of the above? Also...I had this same issue before. Would you agree that there is something wrong with the design to go through two major breakdowns as a result of my electrical system? Worst part, bike is no longer under warranty. So my guess, this will be time consuming to fix. I don't know sh!t or have the tools to fix this myself, so my guess is it will also be pricey. Great :eek:! Even worse - in my experience with electrical issues (which thankfully has been related to only friends bikes) these things are never fully resolved. Ughhh.

Last shot...my three girls. I think they knew I was a bit bummed so they came out to lend some moral support. Trying to get my dog to sit is damn near impossible :). Rant done, time for dinner...

·
Registered
642 Posts
That's what happened when my regulator smoked. Engine light on, sputtered. You just don't have the hole in the seat tray where the regulator melted through.

The turn signals quit working because your voltage dropped to low, that or they may start flashing fast also.

Flip over the regulator to see if it looks cooked, check the wire connector to the alternator also (three yellow wires) off the regulator.

Buy a new battery if it is the original.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
My only question...with a significant other at home who looks like that, why would you ever go out riding anyway???

·
Registered
775 Posts
Tough break LA-DUC, hope you have things fixed soon. I'm useless with bike electrics but my daughter & I have experience of training labradors, our dog will always sit/stay/fetch/return etc. to command. Once the dog realises that humans are the pack leaders then you're half way there....

Attachments

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Just a note from one of this forum's moderators...

There is no reason not to spell out "Fixing" in a thread's title. How could we possibly have a Ducati forum forum where "fixing" is a banned word?

:p

-nod

·
Registered
108 Posts
So....

I am supposed to ride with DGJ and another buddy to Big Sur through the weekend. We are going to log a quick few hundred miles there and back as a shakedown for what we need to get fixed, added etc for the West Coast meetup next month. The bike is loaded + a few Opus X cigars and a flask Oban. Its gonna be a nice coastal CA Saturday.

I ride out from my pad in Pasadena through Hollywood to meet everybody - it's 7AM. We head out and cruise up PCH. Its raining and a bit cold. The bike starts to pop on deceleration. Oh [email protected] I push it a bit hoping everything will sort itself out. The check engine light comes on...oh [email protected] [email protected] My FLEDA goes out. Triple [email protected] And then I start to run on one cylinder...I think. I am now in Northern Ventura and on the side of the highway. I figure, along with DGJ, that I can run it to Santa barbara Ducati and get it looked at there. We drop it in to first, pop start it, and it runs for all of about two minutes before it is just lurching all over the place and running so bad that I call it a day. Also of note is that my front winkers are now working sporadically and double time. The wife gets a call to come pick me up in my truck. I load the bike. I drive home pissed that I have had more problems with my Ducati in 20,000 miles (had this electrical issue leave me stranded in Arizona riding with Dietrich. Blown Stator. Replaced under warranty) than I did in the same amount of miles as a squid (see riding at redline, or on one wheel, as much as possible in a t-shirt and Vans) on my CBR 600 in the late 90's.

I am hoping to tap some collective insight...

I believe the electrical demons reside somewhere here...lol :eek::eek::mad::)

Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Some issues I have had in the past that also could have caused a short...maybe...I dunno? My FLEDA license plate holder got ripped off hauling a$$ through Arizona twisties. The rear shock bottomed out at about 105 and forced the tire into some victorious contact with my plate. Left me with this...(note exposed license wire which I was going to reconnect when I had time...)

Thought a zip tie fixed everything till I could get around to it. Could wet weather and exposed wire really cause all of the above? Also...I had this same issue before. Would you agree that there is something wrong with the design to go through two major breakdowns as a result of my electrical system? Worst part, bike is no longer under warranty. So my guess, this will be time consuming to fix. I don't know sh!t or have the tools to fix this myself, so my guess is it will also be pricey. Great :eek:! Even worse - in my experience with electrical issues (which thankfully has been related to only friends bikes) these things are never fully resolved. Ughhh.

Last shot...my three girls. I think they knew I was a bit bummed so they came out to lend some moral support. Trying to get my dog to sit is damn near impossible :). Rant done, time for dinner...
Been here...done this. Very aggravating.

Exact same scenario, just the East Coast version. What cured it? New voltage regulator AND a NEW BATTERY. Don't buy the dealer's story about your battery checking out fine. Just replace it. This is the other area where Ducati cheaped out. So buy a good replacement (I went with the Yuasa gel version) after you replace the regulator, or you can count on getting stranded again. Don't ask me how I know....

Both the regulator and the battery are easy to swap out. Don't sweat it. you can do it, no problem.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mmmmm, Opus X, great stick! Hope all works well brother! :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Justin my man... so sorry about what happened Saturday morning.

It sounds form what the brothers are saying that this could be a quick fix that you can handle yourself with the right parts... I'd definitely give it a shot before taking it to the shop... regulator and battery... doesn't sound too hard.

and you know me, I certainly wouldn't want to rub it in... but your unfortunate electrical trouble cost you an epic ride:

Saturday: the rain stopped about 5min after we left you and was sunny all the way up, with a strong headwind which cause a few heart attacks coming around those tight cliff-edge turns... (think vacuums+gravel...:eek:). Laurent and I made it to the lodge at 4:30 and had time for a nice hike.

Sunday: went further north to Carmel, no sun north of Big Sur, but we came back down and had it all the way back, with the wind in the tail this time, which was a lot more pleasant. Shortly after San Simeon we cut inland to Paso Robles, (there was a nice, fast, HWY), then 101 S. to Foxen Canyon and went through Santa Ynez valley, where we stopped and spent the night at my GF's parents' house. Yesterday was probably one of the best riding day of my entire life... seriously.

I must also point out that, since my speedo was, em..., "not working" (since I've been having problems with it...), I rode at my own pace and had no concept of speed all weekend, save for a few instances when Laurent was like: "dude we were going 105!"...

it was sick.

I'll post a link to my ride site with pix soon.

let me know if you need help fixing your bike...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents -

Thank you for the responses. After some discussion with the voices in my head, and a few real friends, I have decided to try and fix this myself. It seems most of the parts involved are simply plug and play. (Sounds like famous and potentially expensive last words to me...:eek::p)

DGJ - your pics in the your other post are just adding insult to injury. Glad you guys had a great time. It always amazes me how comfortable you can be for extended periods of time on this bike above 100mph. Death Valley is a good example. I missed out.

Stay tuned if you are interested - I'll post up what happens next....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Good luck with the fix, LA-DUC.

It seems like I've read a few threads about this issue. How common is it? I'm planning on riding my GT out west next month for the SC meet up and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace my battery and move the regulator out into the breeze as precautionary measure. My warranty expired yesterday:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It seems like I've read a few threads about this issue. How common is it? I'm planning on riding my GT out west next month for the SC meet up and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace my battery and move the regulator out into the breeze as precautionary measure. My warranty expired yesterday:rolleyes:
It seems that this regulator issue is fairly common. I have poured over the forums here and you can find various threads regarding the poor design/placement of the regulator. My main issue is that this has happened to me before and that in replacing everything I only managed to prolong the distance traveled between breakdowns. I have a lot of aftermarket electrical farkles, Fleda, Oberon turn signals up front, and am wondering if this setup has somehow put my electrical system in a more vulnerable position. I also put my bike through a lot of abuse, long rides through rain, a bit of dual sporting through thick mud just a few weeks ago - this may have something to do with it as well. I want to go over this and not just put another band aid on a real problem/issue. I want the issue to go away. Riding with an extra regulator anytime I leave town isn't what I signed up for.

So I figure I will buy start buy buying a new battery and regulator from Pro-Italia. Plug those in and see if it fires up. If not I'll contemplate pulling my best Joy Division before taking it to a shop for a full checkup.

I am also functioning post warranty. Too bad for me. Typically I am the guy who buys the extra warranty for just about everything. The piece of mind in the ability to return something when it breaks despite who is at fault (typically me) I find comforting. Wonder how it slipped my mind this time around. Presently weighing purchasing one now after the fact which will be a bit more expensive, vs. cost of parts and the real idea that this will happen again etc...

Interestingly enough - the band Failure, album Fantastic Planet, just came up on my itunes while typing this. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

My 851 toasted one a while back, my F1 a couple of years ago...I carry a back up. It appears at first glance that the one on the 851 will also work on my SC. Oh, the answer to your question...somewhat common.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well, so maybe that's one thing we should have in the back-pack for the SC trip. mine hasn't shown any negative signs but after seeing how LA-Duc's bike went down unexpectedly in just a couple of miles... I'd say thinking preventative isn't being paranoid...

how much does one of these regulators cost, anyone?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I must also point out that, since my speedo was, em..., "not working" (since I've been having problems with it...), I rode at my own pace and had no concept of speed all weekend, save for a few instances when Laurent was like: "dude we were going 105!"...
FYI my speedo stopped working and the dealer replaced the speedo sensor and cables and it didn't fix it. Turns out there was a pinched wire that caused the issue. They had to check where the signal was dropping before they finally tracked it down.

- jamie

·
Registered
642 Posts

After my disaster, I moved rectifier/regulator underneath the seat tray. I think an old, weak battery that puts more load on the charging system causes things to go downhill fast.

I was thinking of buying a backup regulator for the big west coast trip. There are plenty of used regulators on ebay.

I wish the Sport Classics had a built in volt display like my 848. I have not found a decent, small LCD voltmeter to add the the dash display for my PSLE.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
After my disaster, I moved rectifier/regulator underneath the seat tray.
Yep. That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. It seems like getting some more airflow around it will help prevent overheating, but are there any new concerns exposing it to the elements like this?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yep. That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. It seems like getting some more airflow around it will help prevent overheating, but are there any new concerns exposing it to the elements like this?
It is sealed in epoxy. The wiring connectors are still out of the weather.

There are two threaded brass inserts in the plastic seat tray that mount the regulator. You can either drill out the existing threaded holes and use any convenient longer bolts or but a metric drill bit/tap and thread all the through the existing holes. I would still use as nyloc nut at the other end of the bolt so it doesn't shake loose. I would also space the regulator away from the seat tray to some degree. I added some more heat sink, but I had WAY too much time invested in that.

Drill slowly/light pressure with a sharp bit if you do this, you don't want to heat up the brass insert and have it melt the surrounding plastic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry to hear about your electrical problems J. I'm running a Fleda NxG DR and oberons up front and never had such issues. Hope you get the bike rolling again in time for MotoGP. I'll be volunteering on Friday and Sunday at the hospitality tent on Ducati Island. Be sure to stop by and say hello.

-Conrad

1 - 20 of 39 Posts