Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is finding neutral a bitch on the 1098S at a stop. Maybe its just not broken in, but I'm shifting up, then down, then up, etc. at a light trying to find neutral. Seems I almost have to move the wheel a little to find it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It's between 1st & 2nd...:rolleyes:

Seriously, it's easier to shift into neutral while rolling to a stop...then again, your clutch may need to be bled. Try bleeding the slave cylinder first and if that doesn't do the trick, then do the master also. I need to bleed mine every couple of months or so.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
When there's air in the system, the air compresses (much more than the hydraulic fluid) when you pull the lever so the clutch plates don't separate fully. This friction between plates places a small load on the transmission making it more difficult to change gear selection, from first to neutral for example.

A contributing factor to incomplete clutch plate separation and neutral selection problems is a clutch lever span adjuster that has been adjusted to place the lever too close to the handlebar.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
When there's air in the system, the air compresses (much more than the hydraulic fluid) when you pull the lever so the clutch plates don't separate fully. This friction between plates places a small load on the transmission making it more difficult to change gear selection, from first to neutral for example.

A contributing factor to incomplete clutch plate separation and neutral selection problems is a clutch lever span adjuster that has been adjusted to place the lever too close to the handlebar.
+1 As a matter of fact bled my clutch a week ago after installing clutch slave cylinder... Much crisper response, shifting etc..

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Which slave did you get ? Thanks
I got Evoluzione 28.5... The reason i didn't, or ever went with the 30mm one, is mainly the fact that a 30mm slave, while reducing the lever pull effort very marginally on one level, increases the minimum pull distance for full clutch disengagement. So, that means that for proper disengagement you must have the lever adjusted almost fully out (not good for folks with smaller hands) and the while pulled, the lever must be fully against the grip...

The one i got was one of the last stock pieces available after Evoluzione went out of business (sadly). There are still a few pieces floating around, check eBay, Monsterparts.com, etc.. So in the absence of Evouzione i would only go for Oberone (29mm is it?) or Yoyodyne 29(?), STM 28mm..and there are some others that have cyl with bore dia less than 30mm.

Cheers

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I believe this helped a lot just bleeding it. I went my old school method of using a tube to it, and could see the air bubbles come out. Now I need more DOT 4.

Any particular brands you prefer ? I figure since I'm going to open up the bottle, just going to keep bleeding it just to make sure everything is out. So what makes these brembos take on air ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine started this issue about 6000km's ago, just a wee bit of air when bleed, it's last about 3000km's between bleeds. Apparently there's a Ducati retrofit lsave cylinder to remidy this problem. So I found out after purchasing Oberon slave cylinder which I'll have fitted when they replace the gear selecter spring. End of it came out with last oil change. Bike now has 44000km's on the clock.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Thanks all. I believe this helped a lot just bleeding it. I went my old school method of using a tube to it, and could see the air bubbles come out. Now I need more DOT 4.

Any particular brands you prefer ? I figure since I'm going to open up the bottle, just going to keep bleeding it just to make sure everything is out. So what makes these brembos take on air ?
No particular brake fluid brand...

And generally it is not Brembos its the Duc stock slave cylinder that has a bad habbit of taking on air. Get an aftermarker slave and enjoy. I prefer Oberon or STM, EVR, Ducabike supposed to be good too.

In some cases banjo bolts leak air, so what i've done it the past is unsrew the banjo bolt and put a layer of regular plumbing teflon tape on the threads and screw it back in. Usually this does the job well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more question, there is a rubber bladder type thing that presses down on the fluid when I put the cap back on, that obviously pushes out the fluid. Question I have is, is the fluid level based on the bottom of this "bladder" or is it based on just the fluid without the cap ?

And if its the bladder, how do I get it so that it does not push down and displace the fluid all over ?

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
And if its the bladder, how do I get it so that it does not push down and displace the fluid all over ?

Thanks !
Hmm not sure.. scoop it out with brake fluid container (not reservoir) cap...?

Question I have is, is the fluid level based on the bottom of this "bladder" or is it based on just the fluid without the cap? If you have a vacuum brake bleeder just pump some out..
All you need to do is to have fluid level somewhere between the lines.. If you have too little, it will suck air through the master cylinder. Too much, and once fluid heats up from riding, it will expand and may cause not so full disengagement. Not so critical on the clutch, but on the brakes - bad! Too many cases especially on the rear brakes when overfilled brake system causes brakes to never release, overheat and seize, etc.

Realistically you are OK if, when level is pressed, the fluid covers the opening in the reservoir..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I just figured out the bladder thing. I did end up pulling it up, it tends to keep the shape of the extended position, had to fiddle with it for about 4 minutes to fully retract the diaphragm thing.

And neutral is SOOOO MUCH easier now to find.

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge here.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Thanks. I just figured out the bladder thing. I did end up pulling it up, it tends to keep the shape of the extended position, had to fiddle with it for about 4 minutes to fully retract the diaphragm thing.

And neutral is SOOOO MUCH easier now to find.

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge here.
Excellent! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts