Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to sell my '08 standard, I've got 34 K miles, serviced when required. My market impression, only BMW's are allowed to have any significant use, anything else is on its' last legs.
I've seen '08's sell up to $8500 with 5 K or so miles. KBB in @ $7650 best condition.
Local dealer suggests $6 K due to milage, I think it is a low ball price with these farkles,
Race Tech fork cartridges & .95 springs
G2 throttle tube
Iridium plugs
FatDuc fuel trimer
Pro taper bars, renthal grips
Fabbri windscreen
Cox oil cooler grill
DP airbox cover, K&N filter
DP skid plate powdercoated red
DP gel seat
DP rear turn signal bracket
R&G tail tidy
Shift Tech CF hugger
DucEE flapper valve emulator
Records & receipts file

Am I out of touch with reality here?

·
Registered
251 Posts
maybe. I've seen some pretty low prices as of late, and even those don't seem to be selling right now. Sell it yourself and find out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think your dealer wants to get himself a pretty good deal.

If I were you, I'd strip the Hyper back down to stock trim and sell it to him for that price, and put all the rest up for sale. Should make you a sloppy 1~1,5k I think

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Agree with Drinky, low ball offer from dealer. I have noticed that dealers give a very small consideration to aftermarket parts, as in cents on the dollar. Better off to sell it yourself or part it out. Also, didn't you know that ducs are supposed to be looked at, not ridden :D!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pretty new here. And a new owner of a used high milage hyper, so I'll throw my experience in the ring.

08 Hyper 1100. Bone stock except for Fat Duc and some Renthals. Cleaner than spotless. Fanatical maintenence. 25,000m. VDST software and Pitbull rear stand.

$5500. Brother Inlaw deal. He said he was going to sell for $6k. But 5500 to a famliy member.

I feel it was a great deal. But knowing that in 5000 miles I am doing belts, chain, sprockets, most likely a shock rebuild. I will have $1000 in maintenence by the fall. Definatlely still a buyers market in the used moto world

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm looking to sell my '08 standard, I've got 34 K miles, serviced when required. My market impression, only BMW's are allowed to have any significant use, anything else is on its' last legs.

Am I out of touch with reality here?
I sold my last bike with 10,000 miles on it. I was suprised how many people that looked at it and commented on the mileage as being high. I think part of the perception come from so many bikes that go up for sale with hardly any miles on them. I saw a 2008 HM for sale on the local Craigslist and it had 700 miles on it and tons of custom parts.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think that's fairly normal these days.

I remember 3 years ago, having 12k miles on a bike was like new. Now, people come round and say: "5000 miles already? seems a bit high dude". You really want to slap these people. My bike has done almost 20k kilometers now, but by todays "standards", that's a lot. I don't care though since I love the bike and won't be selling it soon.

Could be an advantage as well, since you can buy bikes cheaper who haven't really done a lot of miles.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I had just under 14k miles on my S4RS when I traded her in. The dealer offered a lower amount than I'd expected based on the 'high mileage'. But I had owned that bike for nearly 5 years. Any less use and I might as well have parked it. :rolleyes:

To me 34k really is (a bit ) over the expected norm, unless it's been used to commute. But if it's been kept out of the elements, never dropped, routinely serviced, the rev limiter hasn't been abused, and the clutch/gearbox is sound, 34 really isn't too much at all. Sadly, as someone already said, there are too many bikes with lower mileage competing in the marketplace, and higher mileage bikes have less value as a result.

ASIDE: that S4RS sold before it was even advertised on the dealer's 'pre-owned' list. I was told it went out within 45 minutes of me bringing it in. The reason? Full service history, rare(ish) model/color, recent major service, and nearly all-stock. I shoulda held out for more :eek:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I bought my 08 1100 hyper for about 6.4 a year ago. just had the 2-1 termi. had just over 2k miles on it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
As already stated, Get it back to stock by trading people on here $ plus their stock parts for all that cool stuff uve got on it. With that done, sell it as a stock bike w high miles and u may come out quite nicely all $aid and done.

At 34k i think uve gotten a hell of a lotta fun for ur dollar, hopefully that wasnt all commuting down a straight highway...

Ill start:) what do u want for the fork guts( w my stock stuff in return) and what weight is the 095 spring set for?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just sold my hyper. I had a nice list of goodies and was trying to get 11-12k. Bottom price I would of taken would of been 11.5K when fully hooked up. I know 9 out of ten times the aftermarket parts are not taken into consideration, but I would think it wouldnt be the case with Ducati parts. You dont see 2k slip ons everywhere and its quite hard to find a used one. I didnt manage to sell it and was getting offers 10K and under.
I ended up parting the goodies which made me around $2000 and just yesterday sold the bike for 9K. All that was left on it was an Andreani cartridge kit, Galfer brake pads, thicker battery cables and a HID retrofit projector. And also had powder coating.
So much for Ducati's not losing their value....

Bike was a 2010 1100 EVO 4500 miles aprox

IMO Ducati's market has changed ever since they have started to make bikes and prices more affordable. I dont blame them but this is the last Ducati I will ever buy. Not extremely disappointed but not thrilled either

Good luck with ur sale

·
Registered
587 Posts
Remembering the old days when you just unscrewed your speedo cable and drove it on the tac .

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would rather sell as she sits, something about kicking an ex lover to the curb, stripped.
I can't replace the fork parts without needing new stuff (adjuster rods cut), so I tossed the old.
$7 k seems a tough nut to crack as an initial price, I'm thinking $6800. still working on the ad
Never down, no rain/mud, track days, tickets, commuted, or left outside.
Last summer, 2 months up in the lost coast/redwoods.

Thanks all, for your input.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What bike do you guys intend to replace the hyper with? Where do you go after the nirvana of street bikes(when setup right)?

I just sold my hyper. I had a nice list of goodies and was trying to get 11-12k. Bottom price I would of taken would of been 11.5K when fully hooked up. I know 9 out of ten times the aftermarket parts are not taken into consideration, but I would think it wouldnt be the case with Ducati parts. You dont see 2k slip ons everywhere and its quite hard to find a used one. I didnt manage to sell it and was getting offers 10K and under.
I ended up parting the goodies which made me around $2000 and just yesterday sold the bike for 9K. All that was left on it was an Andreani cartridge kit, Galfer brake pads, thicker battery cables and a HID retrofit projector. And also had powder coating.
So much for Ducati's not losing their value....

Bike was a 2010 1100 EVO 4500 miles aprox

IMO Ducati's market has changed ever since they have started to make bikes and prices more affordable. I dont blame them but this is the last Ducati I will ever buy. Not extremely disappointed but not thrilled either

Good luck with ur sale

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought an '06 Triumph scrambler. Stone simple but heavy, I plan alloy spoke wheels, better brakes, cam, flat sides, maybe a whole new front end. The hyper was my first 17 inch front wheel, great on pavement, nervous on dirt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts