Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a set of stock 900ss wheels and I think its time to retire those gorgeous Marvics. I'd rather keep them on, they look amazing, but almost 30 year old magnesium and all that....

So what colour should I paint the replacements? Do you think its possible to polish the stock SS whells and paint the centre gold to maintain the look... or too much hassle? I'm leaning towards black...

Here she is in all her glory....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Black looks nice, white might be a bit flashy or gold centers with a polished lip.
I have a set of stock Brembo wheels as wel for my MK1, just in case... But prefer the look of the Marvics :)

This topic might help deciding:

Seems like your Marvics have been refurbed at one stage in their life.
You could go through the process again and have them checked for cracks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link, some great options in there to keep the same look as the Marvics.,, yeah I’d like to keep the Marvics but I still push the old girl pretty hard and there’s always this niggling thing in the back of my mind that they’re gonna let go... but a refurb could also be an option if I can confirm their integrity re cracks etc...

·
Registered
756 Posts
My 2 cents (and thinking out loud): the wheels are designed for road use and are (+/-) as heavy as the Brembo wheels.
Which makes me believe that they are not likely to crack that fast. Maybe the alloy used doesn't contain that much magnesium?

That said, I will get my pair tested and refurbed before putting them on the road.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My 2 cents (and thinking out loud): the wheels are designed for road use and are (+/-) as heavy as the Brembo wheels.
Which makes me believe that they are not likely to crack that fast. Maybe the alloy used doesn't contain that much magnesium?

That said, I will get my pair tested and refurbed before putting them on the road.

Unfortunately, they are proper magnesium and they can corrode, those wheels are sexy as hell but they do have issues, the mag can be monitored easily enough, look for worm like marks in the paint, that's a sure sign there's corrosion going on underneath.
The bigger issue with them is the bolt assembly working loose and then the holes elongate, and that's dangerous as well, it's good practice to check them periodically, while at it check over the paint.....
They aren't light, but i think that's because there's 6x steel nut/bolt assemblies per wheel, the mag is quite thick in it's casting compared to a one piece wheel and the aluminium rim is quite robust as well, i had a set on my 888 for a lot of years and had no issues, only sold them because i found a set of mag 5 spoke marchesinis.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
On a red bike I like black wheels with a fine red line.
A bit like the photo below but I would use a line which is a little finer (almost a pin-stripe line, like 2mm max 3mm)
And the line should go continiously around, forget about the yellow "marchesini"-lettering.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Well It is a 1992 Bike -in 92 you had white frame & black wheels stock from Ducati on a 900SS, so thats what I would go with --White wheels would be 91 only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts