Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote an earlier thread asking for comparisons of vfr vs st3s. Well I broke down and purchased the st3s. I had a hell of a time with dealers in my area (northern va). When finally delivered to me it didn't have the manuals (I am awaiting via fed-x).

I was looking for both good break in tips and advise on dealers in my area for reliable work. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Amen...

... and welcome aboard aconrad! No doubt you'll get some good guidance from board members here but other sources of info in your area are the Mid-Atlantic Ducati Owners club (MAD) www.mad-ducati.com. I know that many of the guys there have very high regards concerning a privateer in your area by the name of Donnie Unger (Duc Pond Racing) www.ducpond.com. I thought I had also seen some decent press concerning Speed Cycles (www.speedcycles.com) if you have any warranty issues you need to deal with.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
7,733 Posts
Congrats on the new ST3s. Check the recent threads for break-in advise, as there was an active one about a month ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
The basics are ride it briskly, don't lug it (don't use it below 3500 or better, 4000 rpm). I would generally keep it between 4000 and 6000 RPM for the first couple of hundred miles, with some open throttle roll ons. This helps seat the rings. Don't use 6th gear, unless you're over 60 or 70 mph (i.e. you'd be back to lugging it). Gents that use their ST3 machine too gently break the horn mount from the shakes! Lord knows what else it shakes up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
mcd said:
... and welcome aboard aconrad! No doubt you'll get some good guidance from board members here but other sources of info in your area are the Mid-Atlantic Ducati Owners club (MAD) www.mad-ducati.com. I know that many of the guys there have very high regards concerning a privateer in your area by the name of Donnie Unger (Duc Pond Racing) www.ducpond.com. I thought I had also seen some decent press concerning Speed Cycles (www.speedcycles.com) if you have any warranty issues you need to deal with.
exactly what I was gonna say!....I am a MAD member...costs 20 bucks to join....21 if you PayPal instead of mailing a check....Donnie is awesome...though right now a little backlogged...Winchester Motorsports,though a little slow,is a seemingly decent outfit also.....I have my dealer servicing done at Battley's without much of a problem at all...Speed is a little pricey but has been decent!....post up a hello and a pic of you and the new ride down in our regional forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Stick said:
The basics are ride it briskly, don't lug it (don't use it below 3500 or better, 4000 rpm). I would generally keep it between 4000 and 6000 RPM for the first couple of hundred miles, with some open throttle roll ons. This helps seat the rings. Don't use 6th gear, unless you're over 60 or 70 mph (i.e. you'd be back to lugging it). Gents that use their ST3 machine too gently break the horn mount from the shakes! Lord knows what else it shakes up...
Excellent advice from Stick. It would be hard to go wrong following that. I will add to that by saying it'll be a lot easier to keep the engine in the sweet break-in zone by taking it for a trip on the open road where you can cruise between 60 mph and 90 mph. Even maintaining 90 mph you will only be using about 1/3 of the engines power capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
aconrad said:
I wrote an earlier thread asking for comparisons of vfr vs st3s. Well I broke down and purchased the st3s. I had a hell of a time with dealers in my area (northern va). When finally delivered to me it didn't have the manuals (I am awaiting via fed-x).

I was looking for both good break in tips and advise on dealers in my area for reliable work. Thanks in advance.
If an electronic one will suffice short term, here's where you can pick up owner's manuals:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service/manuals/2006.jhtml?family=service&node=manuals&modelName=2006

The link is for 2006, but there's other model years on the left navigation bar.

-Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
When I say "keep it above 4K", I mean you should do this if you're asking the engine to do any sort of real work. If you're going downhill, rolling up to a stop light, you can let the engine sag down thru 3K towards 2K... But don't be rolling on a whole lot of power down there. These are not machines that like to be lugged or put putted along with. Harleys OTOH are great down low, and are happy doing that sort of thing. And if you're not careful on a big H around town, you might disjoint your elbows or shoulders!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

1. Join MAD.
2. Hang out in the Central-East forum that I moderate, or I will hurt you. :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top