Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
So Husky is the company that is doing it? Good to know. I am still interested in this set up, and want to know how much. ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hmmm, A little more research needed for this.

I am in the middle of modifying some 4p4p Brembo calipers for the front of my Paul Smart with the factory wheels.

So far I've removed 4mm from the mounting bosses to get the caliper centered and have taken a 16 degree cut off the back of the caliper. It is a little difficult to explain how much that is in reality.

If the back half of the caliper is taken apart and placed on a flat surface then lowest part of the cut is at a height about 31mm or 1.22". That leaves a bit more than 3mm or .120 of wall thickness at the weakest point. I could maybe get another half a millimeter a spoke clearance without a problem of weakening the wall the caliper, but that doesn't get me much.

After all this, I don't think there is enough clearance for safety. The spokes are still very close especially the point at which the two laced spokes cross one another and sweep across the caliper. Maybe there are some further secrets for getting this to work that I don't know.

I would prefer to get another 3 millimeters of clearance.

Here are my next idea: space the caliper out 3mm at the wheel hub. (Do any kind of spacers exist already?)

The would require a couple more machining steps on the calipers.
1) take another 2 mm off the mounting tabs, this still seems like enough material.
2) surface the inner caliper half by 1mm
3) mill 1mm off the brake pad guides on the outer caliper half

I'm making the caliper 1mm thinner doing this, but I'm assuming I can still stuff new brake pads in without problems. I've done similar things before but I need to find out the thickness of new brakes pads to make sure this is OK.

You could mess with the outer caliper half a bit but then you would have to re-bore the o-ring seal area to the proper depth.

Any other ideas or suggestions? And don't say Alpina wheels!:)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I am also interested in how this is taken care of as I have a set of 4 piston 2 pad goldlines that I got for an absolute song and have the grinder primed to do the mod with 4mm off the bosses to start with. I have been thinking about the angle on the back of the caliper whilst maintaining the integrity of the internals - there ain't a lot of meat in these things before you hit the hydraulic wells as the pistons themselves take up a lot of room.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I am also interested in how this is taken care of as I have a set of 4 piston 2 pad goldlines that I got for an absolute song and have the grinder primed to do the mod with 4mm off the bosses to start with. I have been thinking about the angle on the back of the caliper whilst maintaining the integrity of the internals - there ain't a lot of meat in these things before you hit the hydraulic wells as the pistons themselves take up a lot of room.
This may be different for the 4p2p calipers.

My little project is on hold until I get some sort of caliper spacer. If I space the caliper out a bit more I need to make sure the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub are long enough or get longer bolts.

A friend of mine that is a very experience engineer with materials and pressures did not think I could take off any more material from the angle cut. The piston wall at the thinnest area is about .100", about 2.5mm.

I can't do more until I get the final dimension of a spacer.

Expletive deleted...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Here are some pics. The right caliper has more clearance than the left. Don't know why, it must be the wheel itself because the rotors are centered and the machining is the same right and left. If it was a bicycle wheel I would adjust the spokes to move the centerline, but I think I will leave these alone.

The right caliper is almost OK clearance-wise, but the left is way too close. So I have some ARP brand parallel ground, hardened washers coming to space the rotor out .120"/3mm. Also I will buy 5mm longer bolts that hold the rotor in place. I would rather have have a one piece spacer but that will have to wait.

Another .080"/2mm (for a total 0f 6mm) off the mounting pads. Then .040/1mm machining off the inside of the calipers shown in blue in last pic.

If this doesn't work I may be getting new wheels sooner than planned...

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I believe I've read of problems fitting and removing the 4p 2pad calipers (after modifiying them to align with the rotors and clear the wire spokes) because they're bigger than the 4piston 4pad jobbies, and they wont clear the wheel rim. Not sure if this is alleviated by removing pads first or not. Anyway, it's something to check out before you go grinding away at them.

I just had to improve the limp stock brakes on my 06 tho, but I can't afford alpina's and wasnt real happy to grind away at such a critical component, so I sacrificed wire spoke style and put on some cast alloy wheels and 4p 2p calipers. They work great - modern levels of braking now. And then added some EBC HH pads (which have always been an improvement over stock on all the bikes I've owned).

Excellent brakign improvement now, and despite not wanting to lose the pretty wire spoke wheels the pics of wasps bike with the grey 3 spokers showed that this look is suitably retro for these bikes. Still not as nice looking as the wire spokers I think but kinda tough and more sporty looking, so I'm liking the look.

Some pics here:

http://www.geocities.com/speed3freaks/SC1100.html

Mario

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I believe I've read of problems fitting and removing the 4p 2pad calipers (after modifiying them to align with the rotors and clear the wire spokes) because they're bigger than the 4piston 4pad jobbies, and they wont clear the wheel rim. Not sure if this is alleviated by removing pads first or not. Anyway, it's something to check out before you go grinding away at them.

I just had to improve the limp stock brakes on my 06 tho, but I can't afford alpina's and wasnt real happy to grind away at such a critical component, so I sacrificed wire spoke style and put on some cast alloy wheels and 4p 2p calipers. They work great - modern levels of braking now. And then added some EBC HH pads (which have always been an improvement over stock on all the bikes I've owned).

Excellent brakign improvement now, and despite not wanting to lose the pretty wire spoke wheels the pics of wasps bike with the grey 3 spokers showed that this look is suitably retro for these bikes. Still not as nice looking as the wire spokers I think but kinda tough and more sporty looking, so I'm liking the look.

Some pics here:

http://www.geocities.com/speed3freaks/SC1100.html

Mario

I have "dry" fitted the calipers and didn't find any problems with clearance of the wheel rim that you mentioned however there is a need to grind the bosses and the angle at the back to get them alligned and to clear the spokes. I might just go for it as they cost me bugger all and worst case scenario is that I go back to the shite stock brakes.

Your bike looks badass BTW :cool:

·
Registered
635 Posts
What about replacemnet hubs?

Well since the spokes tend to rust and we need to replace with a upgrade instead of a full set of Alpina's anyone know if there is a chance of buying a different hub so the laces are more centered giving more clearance like the Alpina's do? I'm goin got be relacing my 06' SC anyway!

That would make brake choices better!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Tim,

I have a set of 1098 radial calipers with both stock and shorty CRG levers if you are interested.

Please email me directly if interested.... [email protected]

Phil,

Did you mention to me some time ago that Discacciati was working on a 4/4 set up for the stock SC spoke wheels?, or was it wishfull thinking on my part and just something I dreamt up!;)

Personally I'd need a rear Discacciati option to.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A second "Finally! My 4p4p calipers"

After a third trip to my friends mill I "finally" have my 4p4p calipers in place with a bit more of the clearance that I was looking for.

In addition to previous steps mentioned before, the following was done:
I went ahead and milled down the mounting bosses another 2mm (6mm total). That's quite a bit but it still looks plenty strong. I milled off 1mm from the inside face of the inboard caliper, making it narrower. I made a 3mm spacer to move the rotor outward. It looks like I it should really be about 2.5mm to be centered perfectly, but that pretty close.

You could actually mill 1mm off the outboard caliper to narrow it. However then you need to re-mill a recess for the o-ring the passes fluid between the caliper halves. Even with new pads, narrowing the caliper is no problem. This would be preferred, rather than taking off more from the mounting bosses since narrowing the caliper makes it stronger.

I was hoping the stock 999 brakes lines would work but the main line seems too short. The short crossover line would work but there is no clip to hold it in place as on a stock 749/999 fender.

Now my PS1000's front brakes look like they should have from the factory.

A matching 2 piston rear caliper is the next project, but that will be a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have one of Demon's underslung caliper brackets coming, he has two left I think. There's a thread somewhere and Thunderduc has one on his racebike. Work has got me travelling most of the time so no more tinkering for a while.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nice carrier Mooner. Did you craft that up yourself, or did you buy it somewhere?

·
Registered
642 Posts
4p4p caliper rebuild kit, or lack thereof

Had to leave my project before one last issue was resolved. A may have had a weeping piston seal on one of the calipers, that or I just made a mess while bleeding the brakes.

No problem, I may get some new seals anyway just to be safe and they will be waiting for me when I return home. I'll get online and look up the part number and call Yoyodyne. Hmmm . . . can't find the part number in the Brembo catalog??

You cannot get new piston seals for 4p4p calipers from Brembo! Yoyodyne told me you can't get them from Ducati either. :mad:

If I do have a weeping seal, the only thing I can try is to flip the seal over and maybe it won't leak. Or, maybe there is something in the O-ring groove to clean out.

Anyway, use caution if you take these things apart. If you mess up a seal you can get a repacement for about $250 new, that would be an entire new caliper. Great!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've done the same mod.. I can't work out how it's not the first thing everyone does.. The changes are dramatic.. I can cope with the forks and suspension (ok, I changed the oil), but the standard brakes :eek: wooden feel, no real power, and no bite... horrible!

The 4p4p calipers offer genuine 1 or 2 fingered braking, a good initial bite and great modulation.. and they're cheap! look on ebay for Aprilia RSV - the word Ducati adds 30% to the price :)

thanks for the tip

·
Registered
630 Posts
thread revival anyone out there done this with 4p2p brembo's I think the ones I have are off a 02ish 900ss, Im hoping this will still work on the original spoke wheels with similar grinding. Or are the 4p4p brembo's physically a bit smaller and fit better

21 - 40 of 40 Posts