Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found the time to finish my Brembo 4p4p installation and it came out quite nice.

Unfortunately it's pouring rain out this weekend here in the Lehigh Valley so I won't be able to perform a test ride. You can't really tell in the images, but there is plenty of clearance between the spokes and the brake so I'm pleased with the results.

Good news for anyone else looking to add 4p4p brakes onto their stock wheel setup is that I bought a bunch of calipers in order to ensure I knew what I was doing and was able to get them all dead-on. If anyone is looking to purchase pre-modified calipers to bold right on to your bike just PM me.

Please pardon my crappy camera phone pics.

-Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but other than color what is the difference between those and the stockers exactly?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you just shave the back of the caliper? It looks like you did an angle cut to match the angle of the spokes is that correct?

In answer to the question what is the difference. The stock calipers have two pistons on the same side. When you apply the brakes it pushes those pistons and when they contact the rotor those same two pistons now have to pull the caliper sideways for the other side to contact. The new one have four pistons which in theory should all move in concert and apply pressure evenly and simultaneously to both sides. It will give you a better feel and slightly quicker response. Not sure now much all this means on the street but I have a pair I intend to install when I get the wheel bearing sorted out on the Carrozzeria wheels I took off my 888 when I sold it.

Hey you gotta look good. :cool:

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
4pad 4 piston calipers

Tryed to send you a PM -- your storage space is filled up and
can't accept a new PM. Time to clear some space.
Dave J

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you just shave the back of the caliper? It looks like you did an angle cut to match the angle of the spokes is that correct?
Correct.

Tryed to send you a PM -- your storage space is filled up and
can't accept a new PM. Time to clear some space.
davduc- All cleared up and PM responded to.

I went on a ride today and the brakes are a very nice improvement. The biggest improvement is that they have so much more feel than the old brakes did. Now I feel much more confident threshold braking. They also seem to grab a lot better initially which I really like for traffic situations because with better initial bite you're not slamming on the brakes right before you hit the guy's front bumper!

To those who asked- No other mods are needed for this. It's a direct bolt-on once the modifications to the calipers are made. For Stage II I'm going to go with a brembo radial master cylinder, but that won't come until later.

-Tim

·
Registered
242 Posts
stock ones are 2 pistons sliding, those are 4 piston opposed and for good measure he's got the ones that use a individal pad per piston as well.
so would this be considered a significant upgrade or what? i was wanting to upgrade my brakes eventually, and was looking at the solution pakbikes had up on his site : DISCACCCIATI 4-pot/4-pad Calipers which i see are significantly more expensive but look like a major step up. how close to comparable are the brembos?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never used the DISCACCIATI but they appear to be a fully machined brake caliper which should be light weight, precise, and probably a great unit. The only negative is that like the Brembo 4p4p (without modifications), these will not fit on the stock wheels. If you go the Alpina wheels route, then you have more brake choices because everything will fit without modifications, including the Brembo 4p4p's, the Brembo 4p2p's, and the discacciati's.

P

·
0 Posts
To those who asked- No other mods are needed for this. It's a direct bolt-on once the modifications to the calipers are made. For Stage II I'm going to go with a brembo radial master cylinder, but that won't come until later.

-Tim
Hey Tim,

I have a set of 1098 radial calipers with both stock and shorty CRG levers if you are interested.

Please email me directly if interested.... [email protected]

·
Registered
83 Posts
so would this be considered a significant upgrade or what?[/COLOR]
I've done the same mod.. I can't work out how it's not the first thing everyone does.. The changes are dramatic.. I can cope with the forks and suspension (ok, I changed the oil), but the standard brakes :eek: wooden feel, no real power, and no bite... horrible!

The 4p4p calipers offer genuine 1 or 2 fingered braking, a good initial bite and great modulation.. and they're cheap! look on ebay for Aprilia RSV - the word Ducati adds 30% to the price :)

I would definately say that they are better than the radial brakes on my Gsxr, especially at the track.

You don't 'need' a Radial Master, unless you want the looks... But then you'd need to change the clutch as well so they matched.

·
Registered
435 Posts
4p4p calipers

I finally found the time to finish my Brembo 4p4p installation and it came out quite nice.

Good news for anyone else looking to add 4p4p brakes onto their stock wheel setup is that I bought a bunch of calipers in order to ensure I knew what I was doing and was able to get them all dead-on. If anyone is looking to purchase pre-modified calipers to bold right on to your bike just PM me.

-Tim
Ooh, now that looks like tasty option.

Did you have to so anything other than grid the back face, e.g.
- Remove any material form the mounting bosses
- Use different brake lines

How do you know the calipers still have sufficient material on the inside (where you ground them) to be safe?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am interested in these. How much are we talking about to get a set-up? I am also curious, as is spdfrk, about how much material had to come off the caliper, and how this may effect the strength of the caliper body. Please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Take care.

No casting of dispursions, accusations, or pending doom intended, but I think people should excercise care in fitting/modifying a product that is already engineeringly designed as lightweight as possible and in the shape that it is to do an intended job.

I dont wish to enter argument or slinging matches or provoke fear, but I definately would'nt do it... But hey, that's just my $AU 0.02 ($US 0.0158) worth.

Greg.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BOOO Fearmongering!! ;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The 4 Piston x 4 Pad brembo calipers are a fairly well proven mod for the sport classics.

http://www.superbikeitalia.com/projects/index.asp?id=27

Cheers,
Lee C.
I whole hartedly agree, thats exactly why I am fitting a set to the WASPmobile right now.... But on cast wheels.. Without grinding anything of the edges to clear spokes.

That is my point. People are grinding thickness of a very highly stressed, load bearing area.

Greg.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To those of you who have sent me PM's, I'm really sorry but please give me till the weekend to get caught up. I've had a rough week with work and won't have time to address everyone until Saturday.

Regarding strength, etc., Old Man Wasp (;))has a legitimate point. Multiple people have performed this mod but that is no documented engineering analysis of it's reliability. With respect to the "highly stressed" nature of where the material is removed from: The mounting bosses are the only 'stressed' area where material is removed and the material being removed only serves to reduce the moment arm of the force which is being applied to it, thus potentially reducing stress. The shaving is more of the grey area in my mind, but the material being removed is so minimal I just don't see how it can affect anything, especially when all we're talking about in terms of force on this area is the pressure created by your master cylinder forcing the pistons away from this wall.

There is another European motard bike that has this exact modification done to it from the factory. I don't recall who or which bike but I'm sure someone will chime in on it.

-Tim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts