Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW does this thing rip when you get over 7k rpm... I'm in love all over again.. I was thinking wow this thing does not feel that great " only going wot to 6k rpm" I was not expecting the extra insane kick up of hp when you get to the 7k mark... pulls the wheel in 1,2 and 3rd.. I love it

If your going to get a SF get the proper SF not the baby, I guarantee you she dont pull like this thing does.. WOW...

Now i'm lookin for some exhaust a tune and perhaps some head work this winter...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Start by losing a tooth on the front sprocket, if you think you're in love now just wait.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
If your going to get a SF get the proper SF not the baby, I guarantee you she dont pull like this thing does.. WOW...

Now i'm lookin for some exhaust a tune and perhaps some head work this winter...[/QUOTE]

Do you have a 1098 Streetfighter, is that why you said "not the baby"
I learn to like both the 848 and 1098 Streetfighter. I have a set of FMF pipes if you looking for some pipes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Having been presented with my choice of either SF, neither seemed like the "proper" SF. They were designed for different riders. In MY case, the SF848 was the "proper" bike. Driving primarily in the city, and having no interest in track days, I'm left wanting nothing more from this SF. 5 of 6 educated Ducati enthusiasts/sellers who recommended a bike recommended the 848 without much further thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WOW does this thing rip when you get over 7k rpm... I'm in love all over again.. I was thinking wow this thing does not feel that great " only going wot to 6k rpm" I was not expecting the extra insane kick up of hp when you get to the 7k mark... pulls the wheel in 1,2 and 3rd.. I love it

Now i'm lookin for some exhaust a tune and perhaps some head work this winter...
oh my god! i have to be here with you, too?!?!?! :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's a wonder ducati sold/sells any 1098 SF's with the stock gearing.
I use mine for the track mainly these days... and love the stock gearing. GPS tells me I got to a top speed of 158mph. This is that Diablo app that everyone uses. I never did look at my speedo this time at last weekends trackday so I couldn't tell you what was indicated on the dash. But I can tell you I like the stock gearing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dropped in a 14t and now I just have to go out and hose on her a lil...

As well Ive heard that the full termi exhaust does not much for the bike in power " according to my Duc dealer" they want to sell it but said dont expect to see any power improvements maybe 2 or 3hp.. Is this the case?? or ??

If so what are my options to get another 20 or so hp out of this beast...

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Put a blower on it. No exhaust alone is going to give you a 20hp increase.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL its about time you stepped up and picked up a Duc,.. What are your plans for the beast..??
i'm gonna ride the mofo!

actually, i'd like to switch out the sil ti exhaust for carbon arrows or termis, but that's just a personal preference... i've gotta reclear all the carbon bits... find a headlight cowl or whatever they're called...

basically it's plenty good enough for me...

hell i haven't really ridden in 8 years, so i shoulda bought a ninja 250 for 6 months:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put a blower on it. No exhaust alone is going to give you a 20hp increase.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I know the exhaust wont give me squat, thats why I said the dealer told me I would get 1 or 2 hp with the exhaust, THe question is what do i need to do to get another 20hp.. ??/

Ie.. Fully port and polish the heads and intake, exhaust , chip etc....

·
Registered
665 Posts
I can tell you just some slip Ons give a lot more midrange power on a 848. I've put some G&G on and was surprised by the sweet reactions on the gas in the mid range.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I know the exhaust wont give me squat, thats why I said the dealer told me I would get 1 or 2 hp with the exhaust, THe question is what do i need to do to get another 20hp.. ??/

Ie.. Fully port and polish the heads and intake, exhaust , chip etc....
Put a bigger motor in. Or NOS.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I use mine for the track mainly these days... and love the stock gearing. GPS tells me I got to a top speed of 158mph. This is that Diablo app that everyone uses. I never did look at my speedo this time at last weekends trackday so I couldn't tell you what was indicated on the dash. But I can tell you I like the stock gearing.

You're neck muscles must be really strong to be able to top 150 mph. I've got problems at 130.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My topspeed is 248 km/h on the SF.... Anything more then that and my head would've flown of.. I know people who took corners on such speed (highly skilled riders on sportbikes) Absolutely insane...... I love the torque so much on the SF.... but topspeed is something few will ever realize. The force of the wind is strong with this one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you guys are having such good luck with your Streetfighters. I bought a new 848 SF about three weeks ago. It was back in the shop at 493 miles with an engine tap coming from the front cylinder. Ducati instructed the dealer to pull it apart. They did, only to find that the cylinder and piston were scored and needed replacing.

The only "explanation" at this point is that the parts were improperly machined and somehow got past QC at the factory. Really?! I asked the DucatI customer service rep how many times something like that had happened during her tenure with Ducati? Her response was that she hadn't ever heard of it happening before. I don't think it was "improperly machined parts" and am leaning more towards an oil starvation problem or mixture too lean maybe (causing enlarged piston, excessive wear and subsequent failure). Of course the guys at the dealer are telling me that oil starvation usually shows up with the metal parts turning blue from the overheating of the piston/cylinder and since mine had no blue overheated appearance, they don't think that was the case.

Regardless, they now want to rebuild the motor in my "new" 848 SF. I told them that I'm not interested in a rebuilt engine, but a new one (engine) would suffice. Since the bike was less than a week old, I think I'm well within my right to expect a new engine on my new bike. If I had put 5000 miles on it, I wouldn't even bother trying to push the issue. But less than 500 miles? I think Ducati might need to think twice on this one,

Thoughts?
Treffin

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
230 Posts

Exactly the reason I traded my SF848 for my SFS! Night and day difference!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts