Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my 748 woohoo!!!!!!! Have a question (steering effort required?)

Hey guys,

I just can't express what I am feeling right now, the driver unloaded my baby just after 8am and I fired her up, warmed up to operating temp and then took her around the neighborhood. It is intoxicating to say the least, the sound especially. I have a question about the steering though, I've NEVER experienced this on any bike I've ridden. I never got above 35mph or so in the neighborhood so don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. When turning as you drop into the turn the bike bars really "push" back against me (counter steer wise) as if the bike wants to put itself back upright. It really seems to take effort to keep it in the line you want, it does this no matter left or right turns. I wouldn't think anything of it if it didn't seem like so much pressure pushing back on me when counter steering into a corner. Being this is the first Duc I've ever been on I have no idea if this is normal or not, any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Are you shifting your weight at all as you lean into the turn? Or are you just pushing the bars to turn the bike?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is either your tyre pressure is too low, or your tyres are squared off...i would bet the pressure is low!
Hey guys, thanks for the replies, my tires were about 15psi too low so I have filled the up, getting ready to try again (have to take it and get it licensed.

Are you shifting your weight at all as you lean into the turn? Or are you just pushing the bars to turn the bike?
I wasn't going into a race hang off or anything, I'll try and see if that makes a difference, I've just never experienced a bike that wants to right itself (like a gyro effect almost) so hard, and I've ridden other bikes with hardly any tire pressure at all, I'll report back in about an hour or so, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
The steering on mine is more neutral than any street bike I have ever ridden... it feels to me at least that when I corner, it settles into the lean angle and then stays put. Very stable. Have not noticed what you are describing at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats to you!
The first time I rode mine, I could the describe the cornering as the bike riding itself (in a good way). Once you figure it out, you'll find it cornering smooth as butter at any speed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, well CarlChurchill was right, after pumping the tires up to pressure it is amazing now, I can't believe 15 psi makes that much of a difference. Also leaning off the seat some seems to really add some stability. I just can't describe this thing, there are NO WORDS to describe the feeling I get when riding it, none...I have a permanent grin plastered on my face right now after getting back from the County Clerk. I just starred at it in the parking lot waiting for my turn to be called, like it was the female lifeguard we all dreamed about at the public pool when we were kids. Wow, that is all I can say. I'm not used to the "smooth" power yet, it makes it feel a little slower than other bikes I've ridden, although I haven't got it over about 5k yet so that could be some of it. I am in love gentlemen and her name is "748" :D Also, while the seating position is the most aggressive I have ever been on, it wasn't horrible, out of the highway at 70 is obviously much easier on me than putting around the neighborhood, but I find if I use my core muscles I can take the pressure off my hands and kind of alternate between the two. I only road about 20 miles so far though lol.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Thanks guys, well CarlChurchill was right, after pumping the tires up to pressure it is amazing now, I can't believe 15 psi makes that much of a difference. Also leaning off the seat some seems to really add some stability. I just can't describe this thing, there are NO WORDS to describe the feeling I get when riding it, none...I have a permanent grin plastered on my face right now after getting back from the County Clerk. I just starred at it in the parking lot waiting for my turn to be called, like it was the female lifeguard we all dreamed about at the public pool when we were kids. Wow, that is all I can say. I'm not used to the "smooth" power yet, it makes it feel a little slower than other bikes I've ridden, although I haven't got it over about 5k yet so that could be some of it. I am in love gentlemen and her name is "748" :D Also, while the seating position is the most aggressive I have ever been on, it wasn't horrible, out of the highway at 70 is obviously much easier on me than putting around the neighborhood, but I find if I use my core muscles I can take the pressure off my hands and kind of alternate between the two. I only road about 20 miles so far though lol.

To be honest you can notice 3-5psi. From the sounds of it, you were running less that track cold tire pressure on the street. That's a bit dangerous if you're not careful.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
... I'm not used to the "smooth" power yet, it makes it feel a little slower than other bikes I've ridden, although I haven't got it over about 5k yet so that could be some of it. ...
The 748 doesn't really come into its own until ~6-7k. Spin 'er up! You'll be bouncing off the rev limiter in no time! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest you can notice 3-5psi. From the sounds of it, you were running less that track cold tire pressure on the street. That's a bit dangerous if you're not careful.
Evidently, I guess on my old bike (RC31) I never really noticed until it got too low and the steering would feel "squishy", but this was a really weird sensation, I've been needing to be much more vigilant checking tire pressures anyway so I'm going to make a new resolution to do so much more often.

The 748 doesn't really come into its own until ~6-7k. Spin 'er up! You'll be bouncing off the rev limiter in no time! :)
That is what I have read, I've never been a "bounce off the limiter" kind of guy though, I usually baby or "granny" my stuff :sleep::eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats!! I take it you are really happy with you're new toy. Did the seller accurately describe the bike to you? Post up some pics! Mine was picked up last Thursday and is supposed to be here Friday, but we will see about that!!! Good thing I'm working this week helps take my mind off the wait which is killin me....

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Evidently, I guess on my old bike (RC31) I never really noticed until it got too low and the steering would feel "squishy", but this was a really weird sensation, I've been needing to be much more vigilant checking tire pressures anyway so I'm going to make a new resolution to do so much more often.
Rule #1

Check your tire pressure at the start of everyday that you're going to ride.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ducs dont like low speed ANYTHING... ;) I find mine to be very heavy steering at low speed the switch is.... at high speed shes rock solid!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats!! I take it you are really happy with you're new toy. Did the seller accurately describe the bike to you? Post up some pics! Mine was picked up last Thursday and is supposed to be here Friday, but we will see about that!!! Good thing I'm working this week helps take my mind off the wait which is killin me....
Happy doesn't even describe it, I have never had this feeling riding a motorcycle, I'm uploading some vids now of when it was delivered to me and my first start up, I'll post the vids in just a sec.

Rule #1

Check your tire pressure at the start of everyday that you're going to ride.
Yep, I agree and will do from now on.

Ducs dont like low speed ANYTHING... ;) I find mine to be very heavy steering at low speed the switch is.... at high speed shes rock solid!
I'm finding that, but the tire pressure made a massive difference down low even.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
My first Duc was a 748 I really love the body style awesome bike. I'd love to have another 1.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congrats! I think I know precisely how you are feeling, because I just got a 916 we bought with my father almost 4 months ago from the US.

It's a dream to ride this thing, and to me it's also unlike any other bike I've ridden. I'm in love with it!

Mine is down at the moment with the typical alt-RR connector issues, so I'm taking the time to service a couple things right now. Can't wait to get back on it and keep enjoying :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got back from another ride, I just can't stop lol :D ive put 75 miles on today, not too bad, pretty sore neck but that is about it. When I got back I decided (without talking to the wife) that she needs to live in my mancave, I can't simply make her stay in the garage with no climate control lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts