Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the bike is in pretty rough shape, but has good body work, 21k miles, and comes at a great price....
So hello, and I will post more as I get to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the jungle! I'm new here as well, and man there are some really knowledgeable/helpful people in this section regarding these bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like a great resource for these old bikes for sure! I picked this one up at the bare minimum to part it out.... but it is the best looking ducati model in my opinion.

Definitely, in my top 5 bikes i've ever wanted to own.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
The 750ss was very popular in the north east USA as a race bike, mine started life as one . I have a few customers with them and they tend to run well with fewer issues than the 900's did.

The good.

I do not think I have ever changed a 750 frame.
750 studs never broke (they did not use the same chrome studs).
crank plugs were steel instead of aluminum and I do not think I have ever seen one come out.

The bad

Regulator rectifiers were the same problematic Ducati electronica.
swingarms were the same design Aluminum that did break at the pivot.

Neither good or bad.

The 750 was the 750ss there was no CR spec.
IIRC they were single disc front (which I prefer) but could be changed to dual disc.
should have non-adjustable showa forks that can be greatly improved.
showa shock that can be re-built and also improved .
should be 1/2 faired but often full fairings were added.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ducvet, I've seen a few full faired 750's but didn't know they were all half fairing. This one was fro. New York and has plenty of road grime and was stored outside at some point...
Has a few wiring spots I need to look into, but I'm trying to enjoy the nice weather and save the tinkering for rainy days. I've always loved this body/frame/style of ducati and have plenty of plans if the bike needs a total rebuild.... but if i get her on the road quickly and below budget I plan on a tribute paint job and maybe some cafe racer treatment.....

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Great bike, lot of guys raced them right out of the showroom. Go ahead and take a day for the electrics, especially the rectifier - it will make your first rides so much more trouble free. Find the ground points, clean them up and replace simple wires if needed, its old enough, the girl could use some touch up on every wire that actually runs the bike, they went a little cheap on the wire insulation at the factory. Nothing you can't get a spool of at the auto parts store for a couple of bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
And keep in mind that having suspect items like the Ducati electronica rectifier is not a guarantee you will have a issue. I have a 900ss on my lift now that is still running the same rectifier at almost 50,000 miles.

If you are running it I would just be sure the battery drain hose is always attached and routed properly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks for the info guys! So far the bike has been in the garage being disassembled to get to the motor and electronics. I have run into a few unique items so far...

-on the right hand side of the bike under the quarter fairing is a plastic cover that seems to contain a fusable link or flat wire fuse??? the case has cracked and may or may not need replaced?

-there seems to be a valve/ overflow/ canister under the headlight that runs from the intake tubes. there is/ seems to be a vent line on the outlet as well?? charcoal canister or evap canister??

-the ignition and fuel latch key does not operate the seat latch? is this normal on the supersport? i may replace with a simple push button or aftermarket latch if the OEM isn't available.

-the bike has two electronic devices under the tank with 2 sets of wire(s) running to each one. One was removed/ disconnected on each side when i lifted the tank... This bike is not running and has not in many years, but i was curious if both should be attached?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
-the bike has two electronic devices (they are on either side of the coils )under the tank with 2 sets of wire(s) running to each one. One was removed/ disconnected on each side when i lifted the tank... This bike is not running and has not in many years, but i was curious if both should be attached?

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
The fusible link is the main power fuse for the bike. The cover shouldn't be cracked, but I think you'll be OK of you keep the internals dry. You might be able to superglue or epoxy the cover together or get one from a dismantler. The canister is the charcoal vapor recovery canister. The key should operate the seat latch. Possible but unlikely it was changed and might be that the cable is seized. Try pressing down on the seat when you turn the key, but don't break the key in the lock. Your photo didn't show up for me, but if the two boxes are identical and held by rubber holders, they are the ignition control boxes for each cylinder. There should be two connectors on each. However if yours have been disconnected I would try to find out why before reconnecting them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will double check on the seat lock, but i'm fairly sure it wouldnt go fully into the tumbler.... maybe some trash in there? The canister is something i have regularly removed from my other bikes, but will it affect this carb bike any differently?

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
The canister can be easily removed. cap off the intakes or put a T fitting in there between them then cap the T fitting. Use this port for fogging when the bike will sit for more than a month.

The line coming from the tank just needs to be run overboard and will act as a drain. Save all parts as this is now a old bike and should be able to go back to stock though in that bikes era only california models got the canister. The bikes were sold enough a Cali bike would get sold elsewhere in the country though you were not supposed to sell/own a bike in Cali without one.

If you can not find a good fuse able link cover let me know, I may have one.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My recollection is that the key doesn't go all the way into the seat lock, but it should still turn. Prior caveat still stands... don't force it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tumbler was a bit gummed up and the seat latch had road grime on it.... it is working great after the thorough cleaning i gave the bike this weekend.

I do plan on saving much of the removal parts, but some of these parts may never be fit to be installed on another bike... this thing was DIRTY. i washed off about 10 years of road grime from the bike this weekend and i've never owned a bike that had paint peeling from it the way this has. Maybe the previous owner painted the side covers and jugs???

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i've never owned a bike that had paint peeling from it the way this has. Maybe the previous owner painted the side covers and jugs???
yeah, mine is the same. 1993 900 SS. Engine paint peeling everywhere. I've read it's just how it is with them. The clear is peeling off pretty much everywhere on the crank case. The black paint on the clutch case and alternator cover, jugs and heads is cracked and peeling like a 60 year old house in South.

I have the frame off now and intend to go after the engine paint with a degreaser and then a wire brush when it dries. It was filthy too, but then when there is oil leaking from every available orifice that will happen. Forks both leaked as did the shock. So, other than the area under the seat, everythig was covered in grime and filth. On the positive side, rotors don't rust when they get a daily bath of suspension fluid. :|

.....sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts