Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story but finally got it home. Clearly it needs some love and I am working on it. Also needs some black and red keys, sent away for that today. So I took it apart to see what else I needed. Oh, as I was taking it all apart I noticed that the rear light had some rewireing done so I took it apart to find a nice aftermarket LED set up. Hooked up some jumper cables to the battery and tested them out, turns, brakes and running lights in LED! Cool find and saved me from buying that myself. Now I have to order a plastics bolt set (some of my bolts are missing), turn signals, mirrors with LED signals, tires, head light houseing (or lens if I can find one) and a few other jobbies like a rubber stopper that touches the fairing and one of the bolt shaft looking jobbies (pictured twice) the one is very loose and will not tighten (might have the shop spot weld it). Will update as I have updates.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sweet, good luck on your build. Is the white stripe painted on or is it vinyl? Are you going to end up opening the clutch cover?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, good luck on your build. Is the white stripe painted on or is it vinyl? Are you going to end up opening the clutch cover?
Its painted as is the tire man. Well its a graphic thats been cleared over. As far as the clutch cover do you mean opening it up to check it out?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ah, I just realized that you don't have a dry clutch on the 800SS. I was wondering if you're going to run an open clutch cover to get more of that bucket of bolts sound to your clutch. I just bought a 900SS that came with an open clutch cover but I'm considering swapping it out to a closed cover to eliminate the sound.

Well, I like the white. It is nice. What other mods do you have planned? Exhaust?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I like the white. It is nice. What other mods do you have planned? Exhaust?
Glad you asked. I want to open up the air box a bit so going to research cutting this up to allow better airflow and drop in a K&N filter. Then its on to the stock exhaust which I am going to drill out the rivets in the back slide the internals out and cut out some of the un-nessisary plumbing to open it up. After that just going to let it ride until I can gather the coin for a power commander and tune. Down the road is going to call for a paint job. I dont really have anything planned beyond that. Money is tight right now and its going to be a struggle just to get this back on the road. About 1,000 in repairs and parts that I can figure so far.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You know what? That's all the mods I would really need for myself too. I just want the sound, really. Otherwise, I find that the bike performs just fine. I wish I had a place to work on my bike with tools; I'd have opened up my exhaust too. But I live in an apartment building with no real place to take apart my bike.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Mods

Glad you asked. I want to open up the air box a bit so going to research cutting this up to allow better airflow and drop in a K&N filter. Then its on to the stock exhaust which I am going to drill out the rivets in the back slide the internals out and cut out some of the un-nessisary plumbing to open it up. After that just going to let it ride until I can gather the coin for a power commander and tune. Down the road is going to call for a paint job. I dont really have anything planned beyond that. Money is tight right now and its going to be a struggle just to get this back on the road. About 1,000 in repairs and parts that I can figure so far.
Open airbox - see the attachment. With chalk or a pencil mark where the tank sits over the airbox first, so you don't cut too much at the front.

Stock exhaust - careful, you might end up with less back pressure.

Both the above or airbox and exhaust can change will make you run lean. There are alternatives to PC, such as Tuneboy, which gives you full control. Also Dobeck as a simpler piggyback device.

What is wrong with the headlight?

Those turn signals are readily available in the US and on eBay. Personal thing, but I don't like them much.

Looks like it is basically sound though, so time to have fun in the garage and on the road.

Richard

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
It has a crack in the upper left hand corner. Big enough to let water in. The lens is the only thing that needs replaced but as I am finding they are very hard to find.
They seem hard to find. I have been looking for a broken one (like yours) so I can experiment with putting different lights behind. I.e. I don't want to play with my good one in case it goes wrong.

Have you thought about or asked about using the people that repair cracked car windscreens? I.e. where they inject a resin then UV cure it.

Dunno if it is possible with cracks that large, but might be worth investigating.

If you do find a replacement, please don't throw the cracked on out. I would like to obtain/buy it so I can do my experiments on alternative lights in the shell for me and to share here on Dms.

Richard

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They seem hard to find. I have been looking for a broken one (like yours) so I can experiment with putting different lights behind. I.e. I don't want to play with my good one in case it goes wrong.

Have you thought about or asked about using the people that repair cracked car windscreens? I.e. where they inject a resin then UV cure it.

Dunno if it is possible with cracks that large, but might be worth investigating.

If you do find a replacement, please don't throw the cracked on out. I would like to obtain/buy it so I can do my experiments on alternative lights in the shell for me and to share here on Dms.

Richard
Richard, I already had you in mind for the old one if I can find a new one. So far I found one that is about $400. Abit steep for my blood and for what it is. The crack is very bad in the corner and is missing a small area of plastic. I am going to see about finding a salvaged parts bike if there is a bike junk yard out there. But in the mean time the search continues.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Richard, I already had you in mind for the old one if I can find a new one. So far I found one that is about $400. Abit steep for my blood and for what it is. The crack is very bad in the corner and is missing a small area of plastic. I am going to see about finding a salvaged parts bike if there is a bike junk yard out there. But in the mean time the search continues.
Maybe try Metro Wreckers in Florida and a dude called Ducman, who also wrecks Ducs. You might have to search for him on the net.

$400 seems very steep.

Here is one in Italy.
FARO ANTERIORE DUCATI SS SUPERSPORT FANALE headlight | eBay

Here is one in the US.
99-02 Ducati 750SS 750 SS Headlight Head Light | eBay

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not realize that the 750 had the same headlight. Still new to these bikes. That helps a little bit. I will have to make a offer on the headlight, doubt he would accept it but got to try.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Just remembered something.

Brazeauracing (Chuck) on Dms has done a headlight/nosecone mod and might want to sell his original SS headlight. Worth a shot.

This is the thread - you will find brazeauracing as a poster, then send a PM.

Richard

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
I did not realize that the 750 had the same headlight. Still new to these bikes. That helps a little bit. I will have to make a offer on the headlight, doubt he would accept it but got to try.
800 and 1000 as well.

Might be difference between glass or plastic cover, but guess you don't care and I would not either.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I had fairings skills I would try that. Also if I had more money. Definately an option for down the road. I looked at the head light and its not as bad as I thought, its a Y crack but I snapped the peices back into place. There is no missing plastic so maybe a window repair may be an option afterall. Even so, eventually it will either get replaced or upgraded as Chuck did.

·
Registered
303 Posts
"and one of the bolt shaft looking jobbies (pictured twice) the one is very loose and will not tighten (might have the shop spot weld it). "

===================

These are attached with an allen head bolt. You will need a long allen wrench to reach through the hollow tube to tighten it - not sure what size it is. After tightening, a wellnut is inserted into the outer end for the bolt that holds the fairings in place. You shouldn't need to weld it.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts