Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's another sad day..I just posted the Fila on Craigs list again....I'm getting a new bicycle, joined Norcal Bike Sport team, and the family said one or the other..Unfortunately, I need the road bike...I love pounding up mountains with the local club racers. I'm also tired of the club guys hassling me....Some of you I'm sure know this

The bike riding will help my leg heal much quicker.....

I know it sounds crazy...I am......
I said I am....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bicycle ridding is my first addiction even more than my Duc. Bike riding is my way to keep it sane, nothing can describe the feeling of finishing a century ride or pound the trails on my mountain bike.

In 1998 I stopped racing and ridding all together - by 2002 I was tipping the 250lbs scale and felling miserable. back on the bike by 05 putting about 140 miles a week on my MTB I've dropped 70lbs in 3 years, blood pressure and cholesterol also have dropped my Doctor could not believe the change.

Good Luck selling your FILA.

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's another sad day..I just posted the Fila on Craigs list again....I'm getting a new bicycle, joined Norcal Bike Sport team, and the family said one or the other..Unfortunately, I need the road bike...I love pounding up mountains with the local club racers. I'm also tired of the club guys hassling me....Some of you I'm sure know this

The bike riding will help my leg heal much quicker.....

I know it sounds crazy...I am......
I said I am....
Why not just get a cheap $800 road bike and keep the Fila? Sure a cheap $800 bike is not going to ride as good as carbon or especially a steel road bike and it wont have Dura-Ace or Record, but it will be just as fast. You are still the engine on a bicycle, money can't buy legs.

If Lance Hogfat were on a $810 Specialized Allez and all of us were on $8,000 Specialized S-WORKS bikes, Lance would still kick our ass, no?

I think you will regret getting rid of the Fila, just my opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A link to the listing might help.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Talk to Martin about riding bicycles on the road. I've always said what they do is more dangerous by a long shot because they put ultimate blind faith into those coming up on their rear ends. The separation is a couple feet and less sometimes and your injuries were when you were riding your bicycle correct? But, you have thought about this for a long time so instead of turmoil I would say its time to move on and get rid of the Fila once and for all.

BTW, Berringer sent me an awesome quote on some calipers. I'll likely do it after the new year, they said they will honor the price even then.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Ummm, why do you have to sell a motorcycle to buy a bicycle? Can't you just get a decent road bike instead of something wayyyy to expensive. It seems you are doing it to help your leg heal, not start a new career and break records. Keep the Fila and buy a decent road bike and a not a carbon or titanium one. And since when does someone else tell you "one or the other"? There is a compromise in there somewhere I am certain.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you bought a bicycle that was worth as much as a 999r I would never stop making fun of you.
hahaha damn that's harsh.

Had a friend that would always try to one up me at anything with a price tag. He went out and bought a $7000 dollar carbon. Made fun of him for weeks until someone stole it. If only he had geico. Don't sell the moto. I love bike riding too, but come spring time you'll hate yourself. I feel like Ducati MS is turning into a support group. Don't do it!!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I'm not nearly into bicycles as I once was, but I did recently build up the bike I dreamed about while working in a Schwinn shop as a high schooler in the late eighties (OK, I'd rather have a Colnago). I found a clean Columbus tubed 1987 Schwinn Circuit frame--matte black with a chrome rear triangle, and built it up with Campy C-Record 8 speed down tube index, Delta brakes and even the old Campy clipless.

And I actually did it on a budget. (Hence the Croce or Chorus cranks)

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW----Nice to see so many "Hammerheads"!!! Yahoo...

I live in the Wine Country in NORCAL. Bike riding is amazing. There was just a group ride put on by Levi that had 3700 riders! Biggest in the history of group rides. Killer climbing, decending, flats, with spectacular views. With Levi living here and being a friend, this place oozes with passion.

I'm heavy now since my crash. 204 lbs at 6.0'. I should be around 180 at my best fitness level. Getting back on the saddle will help tremendousely. Not to mention getting my leg back to strength.

I crashed a Specialized E5. Super good crit, climbing and sprinting frame. I have a Trek Y Foil Time Trial bike thats fun and comfy but OLD technology. I also own a Orbea, and a specialized Epic Pro mountain bike. I actually gavce this bike to my brother as I wasn't riding it much. He races now in Big Bear CA and just placed 3rd overall in the Mountail Bike racing series.
Here's what's on the way.
Tarmac Pro SL that's the same geometry as my E5.
Full Campy Record
Campy Ti 12/25 cluster
Wipperman Chain
Easton ES SLC Carbon Tubulars
Specialized 110mm CF Barmac bars/stem
FSA CF Mexa Exo Compact Crank
Negative G Ti Brakes
Choice Prologo saddle
14.19 lbs!!!
Man I can wait to climb on this baby.

Attachments

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm guessing this is it: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1411307849.html

My sympathies, Brian. Rough time to be selling anything, really, with the market as soft as it is.
Thanks man. As many of you Duc-MS OLD TIMERS know (especially you John) , I love my bike. I've been on a number of rides and to tell you the truth, I'm scared. Here's the deal:

If I crash on my Duc, my marriage is over, I'll loose my job and any respect I have from my family/friends. The pain of that happening is much greater than the joy I get riding my bike. I was almost killed in December when a Suburban hit me HEAD-ON on my bicycle. If I would have been on the Fila, I wouldn't be here to write this.

I'm one of the most passionate Ducatiisti out there. I just can't take the risk. I'm wild enough on a bicycle.
I'm not going anywhere..I'll still be on Duc-MS as I love this site. Not to menytion MOST of you are great fellas and friends.

Some day when the kids are in college, I see myself on a Multi strada or whatever new bike is available then. But for now, I'm hanging up my hat.
I'm in no hurry to sell the Duc. Money is not an issue. I'll just keep posting her until the right person see her. That's all it will take!

Brian

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why not just get a cheap $800 road bike and keep the Fila? Sure a cheap $800 bike is not going to ride as good as carbon or especially a steel road bike and it wont have Dura-Ace or Record, but it will be just as fast. You are still the engine on a bicycle, money can't buy legs.

If Lance Hogfat were on a $810 Specialized Allez and all of us were on $8,000 Specialized S-WORKS bikes, Lance would still kick our ass, no?

I think you will regret getting rid of the Fila, just my opinion.
+1

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand and would probably tell someone the same thing...
My biggest problem is I love to ride. But when I ride, all I think about is "what if" which is a reality for all of us.
It's like having a black stallion in the barn and not being able to ride her...Just can't live with that anxiety.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
hahaha damn that's harsh.

Had a friend that would always try to one up me at anything with a price tag. He went out and bought a $7000 dollar carbon. Made fun of him for weeks until someone stole it. If only he had geico. Don't sell the moto. I love bike riding too, but come spring time you'll hate yourself. I feel like Ducati MS is turning into a support group. Don't do it!!
Hopefully your friend had the bike covered under homeonwer's or renter's insurance.
Most of us don't insure everything, but if you spend that kind of cash, you should.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully your friend had the bike covered under homeonwer's or renter's insurance.
Most of us don't insure everything, but if you spend that kind of cash, you should.
+1..My bikes are covered by Home Owners

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's an awful thing when you lose your edge, but you're the best judge of it. When you ride you need to be connected, and if you've got your mind elsewhere, it makes disaster more likely.

As I've gotten older I am more aware of the dangers and pitfalls, but I'm still able to dismiss them from my mind when I am riding. When I can no longer do that...well, I don't like to think about that. :(

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Talk to Martin about riding bicycles on the road. I've always said what they do is more dangerous by a long shot because they put ultimate blind faith into those coming up on their rear ends. The separation is a couple feet and less sometimes and your injuries were when you were riding your bicycle correct? But, you have thought about this for a long time so instead of turmoil I would say its time to move on and get rid of the Fila once and for all.

BTW, Berringer sent me an awesome quote on some calipers. I'll likely do it after the new year, they said they will honor the price even then.
Yeah, and their safety gear is minimal. It hurts much more to hit the pavement in Lycra than in armor plated leather. I also don't ride bicycles because of numb crotch and the associated nerve damage and ED issues that go with it. Yeah, I've tried different seats... I know this is a controversial subject though.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a great point. And true. However, I wear top of the line Assos bib's and I didn't get a scratch from the accident. They slide on pavement. My hand went into the grill which mangled up my fingers. Would have been less severe with the Alpinestar gloves. I jumped off the bike just an instant before impact which would have been difficult on the Duc. I rolled over the hood and flew about 20' and landed on my feet. Thats where I splintered my femor. No head injuries thank god.

I've fallen quite a few times on my bicycle. Road rash is about all that happens. A broken collar bone or wrist is common.

This isn't about that, it's about the upside vs. the downside. Way more downside in general at this point in my life as I mentioned...

I'll be back....
Brian

1 - 20 of 48 Posts