Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to the forums. Ive been a member for awhile, but dont post much. back in 2006 i picked up a brand new black 999 of the show floor and owned it for 2 years. loved the bike. well financial reason led me to sell the bike, and have missed it like crazy since. i finally took the plunge and started looking for used ones lately with the market being bad. well i found a mint, low mileage (3800), red base model 999 for a great price i couldnt pass up!

I have had it for about a month now and couldnt be happier. It feels great to be back on a Ducati and a v-twin again! To pass the time, i have done a few little things to it just to clean up the looks department a bit. I took in all the brake/shift levers, kick stand, rearsets, and some other random little peices and powder coated them satin black. I added a Speedymoto clutch cover, and some Speedymoto springs and gold caps. I also picked up a aftermarket seat cowl from overseas, and with some time and a little custom work, i made it fit real nice, and looks pretty good with the addition of the ducati bump pad. I think just those few things cleaned up the bike real nice. Soon to come i will be adding more carbon bits here and there, and be on the search for an exhaust. :)

anyways, just wanted to say hi, and say its good to be back!!

Attachments

·
9,757 Posts
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to the forums. Ive been a member for awhile, but dont post much. back in 2006 i picked up a brand new black 999 of the show floor and owned it for 2 years. loved the bike. well financial reason led me to sell the bike, and have missed it like crazy since. i finally took the plunge and started looking for used ones lately with the market being bad. well i found a mint, low mileage (3800), red base model 999 for a great price i couldnt pass up!

I have had it for about a month now and couldnt be happier. It feels great to be back on a Ducati and a v-twin again! To pass the time, i have done a few little things to it just to clean up the looks department a bit. I took in all the brake/shift levers, kick stand, rearsets, and some other random little peices and powder coated them satin black. I added a Speedymoto clutch cover, and some Speedymoto springs and gold caps. I also picked up a aftermarket seat cowl from overseas, and with some time and a little custom work, i made it fit real nice, and looks pretty good with the addition of the ducati bump pad. I think just those few things cleaned up the bike real nice. Soon to come i will be adding more carbon bits here and there, and be on the search for an exhaust. :)

Welcome back to the fold. I really like all the powdercoating.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice

I'm like you, I just picked up my 999 3 weeks ago and very happy. This after I sold my 748 4 years ago. Good job.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Good work as you say cleaning it up. I like the powder coating black on the various bits. Is the powder coat durable? I wonder if will hold up to a little wear and tear like kicking the kickstand with your boots, that sort of wear. Speaking of which, I like the color black and that gives me some ideas. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the bike. 999s are fantastic machines.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Congrats. I'm picking up mine this morning. I've never had a v twin. Most of mine have been R1's.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I like your seat cowl design; it extends far enough rearward to cover much of the muffler versus what Ducati had on the solo seat versions (which always looked too short for me).

Now if you could address those nonfunctional "barge boards" on the fairing.

Seriously, nice job so far.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Ive always been one to mod my bikes and cars/trucks as "clean" as possible. I think the simple things make the biggest differences. i just really didnt like how those silver parts were sticking out like a sore thumb on the bike. I really like how the Satin color turned out. Its basically a semi gloss, it was the choice right in between flat black and high gloss black. it matches the swingarm well.

john said:
Good work as you say cleaning it up. I like the powder coating black on the various bits. Is the powder coat durable? I wonder if will hold up to a little wear and tear like kicking the kickstand with your boots, that sort of wear. Speaking of which, I like the color black and that gives me some ideas. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the bike. 999s are fantastic machines.
I will find out over time how durable the coating is. its only been on a few days. i think it will hold up well, but it does scratch! i noticed on the bottom base of the kick stand, the part that touches the ground, is getting scratched up. but i pretty much figured that was gonna happen. Otherwise i think the levers and other stuff will hold up fine as long as nothing sharp rubs up against them. we shall see. either way, it only cost me $100 to get everything coated. Simple, cheap mod in my eyes.

Reformedducnut said:
Congrats. I'm picking up mine this morning. I've never had a v twin. Most of mine have been R1's.
I actually had a 06 R1 with full titanium Graves exhaust and pcIII tuned on it in the beginning of this summer. put about 800 miles on it, and decided it wasnt for me, and that i needed my 999 back. I think the R1 is great looking, but i thought it handled crappy, and didnt really give me the awsome feeling i get like i do on the Duc.

rz33v4 said:
I like your seat cowl design; it extends far enough rearward to cover much of the muffler versus what Ducati had on the solo seat versions (which always looked too short for me).

Thanks. its one of the best looking seat covers ive seen to date for the biposto. it took alot to get it to fit correctly to my standards, but im happy in the end. I think its a great alternative to switching to a mono tail in the meantime.

Yeah i've been thinking of ideas for over winter to change the look of the bike with more custom work. I love how race plastics look without the "barge board" on the side. Makes it look nice and smooth!

I pretty much have it in my head that i am going to paint the bike a black/grey color scheme and keep the red frame. Make it kinda look like the MH900e Carbon Dream colors. I'm also really contemplating a BURSI front end, cause i love how they have that integrated window over the headlights. it just totally smooths out the whole front end. Just gotta decide if i wanna drop $500 on a nose fairing. :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome Back!

Hey Jspecracer,

Welcome back to Ducati. Your bike looks beautiful and the powdercoated kickstand, rearsets... look awesome!

Ciao

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome back! Nice ride! 999s rule! :D

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts

Hey, I like my barge boards. What other bike out there has them? Thats one of the things that made the 999 unique. I'll bet a Ducati engineer would make the claim they are functional. But what does look a little off to me are the aftermarket carbon fiber barge boards, they stand out too much. Actually I would be happy with or without them.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
LOL...hey dude...bike looks good, I think I need a red one again...

BTW, I bought his black one and I think I still have the frame and a few other parts in there somewhere under the pearl yellow bike...lol :D I'm glad you bought my R1 cuz I needed a Ducati BAD but I guess we've come full circle now because you realize the R1, as nice as it looks, just doesn't give you the same feeling as the Duc...:abduct:

I really like the tail too, the shape is really nice, nicer than the carbon one from before.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
love it

get yourself a nice exhaust kit

and then do nothing else. :)

enjoy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL...hey dude...bike looks good, I think I need a red one again...

BTW, I bought his black one and I think I still have the frame and a few other parts in there somewhere under the pearl yellow bike...lol :D I'm glad you bought my R1 cuz I needed a Ducati BAD but I guess we've come full circle now because you realize the R1, as nice as it looks, just doesn't give you the same feeling as the Duc...:abduct:

I really like the tail too, the shape is really nice, nicer than the carbon one from before.
Hey J! yeah i took the bike out on sunday after i got the parts back on and went for a short 30 min ride. felt great! my shoulder was pretty sore, but i love being back on this bike again. LOL.

I , for the most part, dont like red cars or bikes at all.... but lately it has been growing on me now. :D I still plan on doing something custom paint wise with you though over time. I also have a custom LED strip laying around that i wanna mount into the tail section. i may be calling you up for some expertise on that soon too. :)

oalvarez said:
ove it

get yourself a nice exhaust kit

and then do nothing else.
i plan on it, and have been searching like crazy for a used one. just cant justify the prices yet. i really wanna try to find at least a slip on system for no more than a grand if i can. lost out on a couple ebay actions last week already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts