Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am within a 1,000 miles of the 6k valve check on my 98 st2. will i need a special set of feeler gages for the st2. most standard sets are flat 1/2" wide [i have], some have tapered ends, some have an angle. the d'times is both narrow and bent at the end and very expensive, but it might be well worth the price. i have done the valves on desmo singles but i have no experience with the st2. so, suggestions please.

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
Definitely DT. Sorry. But once you hold them in our hand you'll understand.

For giggles, I checked them with my digital micrometer. They're smack on.

You can use wider one, but the smaller sizes are hard to find and usually not stainless.

If you were local, I'd gladly loan them to you.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i expected that would be the case, it will be money well spent if it helps make the job go smoothly. thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The DT ones are perfectly fine but the really small ones from ca-cycleworks are my favorite. Doing it with the normal feelers would be difficult.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/tools/feeler_tools.jpg

I think they are $12. They make it a little faster to figure out what the gap is and are not on a loop with the other gauges which makes them a little easier to use then the ones DT has (sure you can undo the loop - but then I'd never get them all back on.)

Additionally the middle handle portion is like 1/8" steel so easy to grab ahold of an be consistent in feel. And finally - if you have much tread on the rubber part of the stock pegs they fit nicely in the grooves there so you don't have to search for them. :)

On the downside they read only in inch. So you have to remember 0.002in is 0.05mm. I don't remember the specs for the ST2 but usually you want to end up with a 0.002 (.05mm) or 0.004 (0.1mm). A handy tip is to use different color electrical tape or tool dip so you don't have to think about which one is which. Some people cut groves on them; some people rivet a penny, nickle, and dime to them to find them by feel.

If this is the first time you are doing big maintenance then buy a bunch of wellnuts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cc feelers look like the motion pro type, i will check the st2 specs to see how those sizes will work. i already replaced the 11 year old belts when i got the bike and have done the dzus fastener mod for the body work. in any case i now keep some welnuts and nylon washers in stock.

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
The cycleworks ones should work for the ST2.

My question for Rallystar is how do they work for the 4V? The loaded clearance is 0.010in on the exhaust side? Just curious.

Yeah, I take the feelers off of the chain and arrange them on a paper plate. I string them back together on a small zip tie for the next 6k operation. I can see how the cycleworks ones would help with the feel.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the max allowable for the st2, opener gap max + closer gap max, could come close to .013 or .014". it sounds like the dt feelers give the greater range .002 to .014". if i had to own just one it would be the dt set.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote from rallystar
If this is the first time you are doing big maintenance then buy a bunch of wellnuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts