Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Temporary greeter
23,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 2 years a few of us have gotten together near Galena IL. at a KOA campground around the middle of August. After talking to a few others there has been some interest.

We will ride the back roads around the area and around the Mississippi River through IL, Wisconsin, Iowa, and maybe even Minnesota depending on time.

In the past we have done it by arriving on Friday and leaving on Sunday. I am open to ideas if it needs to be longer. Perhaps Weds-Sunday. The KOA has RV and tent sites as well as cabins that can sleep a bunch of people. The cabins are clean and well equipped.

I should mention that this is a family campground and even though we will have fun after the ride that it will not be a blow out. They will have no problem kicking us out if it gets too loud and disturbs others.

The proposed dates are August 15-17 2014. If we make it longer then perhaps 8/13-17 2014.

Please let me know if there is any interest. We will be doing this no matter what, but just looking to see if anyone else is interested.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,861 Posts
Very unlikely. This is the week after Indy Moto GP.

·
Señor Member
8,152 Posts
I'm in. I'd suggest, depending on the count, that it be Thursday to Sunday, allowing two days of riding.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,842 Posts
What! No drinking, puking, cussing, running round naked and playing with guns!

Sounds a little boring. :)

·
Temporary greeter
23,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking about planning a ride West on Thursday towards where the Field of Dreams Movie was made. The field is still there and kept up as is the house in the movie. Kinda cool to see and it has a gift shop. Other than that it is in the middle of nowhere. They have to pipe in sunlight there. Even Chuck's place is urban compared to the area. ;)

I don't know of many good rides to get there from Galena as many of the roads on the maps are gravel.

Are there any locals out there that know of a route with minimum off pavement paths? Otherwise it is slab until the last few miles that I know of. Every other route I have tried ended up in miles of gravel. I will be prepared for that but not everyone in our group will.

·
Señor Member
8,152 Posts
You decide where to go, I'll follow if I have a bike to use. And even if I don't have a bike to use, I'll be happy to get out of Cali for a while, especially having missed WCM5 due to my accident. I'll be happy to play campsite squatter while you guys go ride.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Still planning to show up. No one has intended to attend that offend me (like that would be hard to). If Pato hasn't a bike...

AARP ADD: If the previous offers should fail, I'll bring a spare.

PSS: Tripod, Blanton's seems to be available limited available lately 'round these parts. If I should hoard some let me know.

"available limited available"

????

Guess that means I've got to find some.

·
Señor Member
8,152 Posts
I bought the Moto Guzzi so I wouldn't be forced to bring the Sportster. That has to count for something, it is Italian.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts