Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, my bike was stolen and the side fairings were taken along with the mono tail and the 1/2 the exhaust. The bike was tipped over and has a broken mirror BUT the front fairing is in perfect condition.
It will be a salvage title but is rideable and other then the missing parts, the bike is in MINT condition. What do you think I should expect from the resale value of it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dumb question, but how can it be salvaged? What's the cost/value of the stolen parts? Fairings can't be that expensive, can they? When I lowsided at Homestead on my Aprilia, the parts were on par with Japanese bikes, and I can't see Ducatis being much (if any at all) more money. Are they?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock Left Fairing, complete from Ducati = 1500. Same with Right Rairing.
Tail section from Ducati = 1100, complete with lights etc.

Minor scratch on frame, cosmetic = new frame
Minor scratch on swing arm = Cosmetic = New Swing arm.
Termig pipes = 2100.00

:D

Total costs to replace every scratched part = 12000.00
Minus Frame and Swing Arm = 7510.01
Value of bike = 10,450

Total - Loss is greater then 70% of value of bike

Ldogdotcom said:
Dumb question, but how can it be salvaged? What's the cost/value of the stolen parts? Fairings can't be that expensive, can they? When I lowsided at Homestead on my Aprilia, the parts were on par with Japanese bikes, and I can't see Ducatis being much (if any at all) more money. Are they?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It might be better to part the bike out?? but Why not just replace what is broken and ride it? Salvage title only hurts the resale.

·
comrade moderator
26,858 Posts
webwarrior said:
But the bike is otherwise in perfect condition and the parts can be bought on ebay for under 2000.00
So why are you trying to get your insurance company to total it out?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuckracer said:
So why are you trying to get your insurance company to total it out?
Thats the thing.. I'm NOT... I told them that I just wanted the major things fixed. I didn;t care about the frame or swingarm. Even then, at 7505.00 that was more then 70% of the value of the bike, thus, that is why they are totaling it. :mad: :(

·
comrade moderator
26,858 Posts
I guess I would wait till I know that number, then decide if it's worth it in the long run. The salvage title will hurt resale a good bit, but the money from the insurance will offset that. Of course now you have a claim so your rates will go up, so factor that into the big picture as well. Keep every bit of documentation throughout this ordeal so you can prove that it was totaled because of this and NOT a huge crash.

Personally, I'd get the bike, fix the ugly bits and ride on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, my rates wouldn;t go up. I talked to my agent. My rates stay the same because its a Comprehensive claim and I was not at fault.. 470.00 per year for a 02 998, 100 deductable for comp, 200.00 deductable for collision.

Buyback is $1500.00 which is the cost of what they'll incure for salvaging the motorcycle.. So yup, gonna buy it back for $1500

Chuckracer said:
Of course now you have a claim so your rates will go up, so factor that into the big picture as well. Keep every bit of documentation throughout this ordeal so you can prove that it was totaled because of this and NOT a huge crash.

Personally, I'd get the bike, fix the ugly bits and ride on.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
webwarrior said:
Buyback is $1500.00 which is the cost of what they'll incure for salvaging the motorcycle.. So yup, gonna buy it back for $1500
I'd double-check that before signing any papers. I had an original 1969 Corvette convertible that got some front-end damage when I smacked into the side of a mountain. I thought I'd let them total it out and then buy it back for $1800. After I talked to the claims adjuster and got all the details, I signed the paperwork. When the paperwork was signed, with a huge smile on his face, he informed me that their policy was that I could buy it back at the AUCTION which had a starting bid of $1800!!! He informed me that the new policy was that they had to receive three bids before selling it. Needless to say, I went to the auction, and it went for a whole lot more money than I thought I was going to get it for. This was back in 1991.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already talked to the adjuster.. The bike is at the shop and I can take immediate possession of the bike at my convenience..
They just took the 1500.00 they were going to pay to the salvage place and deducted that from the value of my bike minus my 100.00 deductable.

Desmo_Demon said:
I'd double-check that before signing any papers. I had an original 1969 Corvette convertible that got some front-end damage when I smacked into the side of a mountain. I thought I'd let them total it out and then buy it back for $1800. After I talked to the claims adjuster and got all the details, I signed the paperwork. When the paperwork was signed, with a huge smile on his face, he informed me that their policy was that I could buy it back at the AUCTION which had a starting bid of $1800!!! He informed me that the new policy was that they had to receive three bids before selling it. Needless to say, I went to the auction, and it went for a whole lot more money than I thought I was going to get it for. This was back in 1991.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
I had a 1980 Mazda RX7 for 15 years, it was a low milage creampuff with a hot rodded ported motor, beefed up transmission, custom wheels, suspension work, and on and on. In August of 2001 I was rear-ended while stopped at a light by a @!#@&@%@$#!!!! chick talking on a cellphone and driving about 10mph over the 25mph limit. Needless to say, my dear car was totaled. After much battling with the insurance companies I finally recieved a fair appraisal of what the car was actually worth, not what the Blue Book value was ($600 at the time). I recived about $6000 for the car from the insutrance company and they offered to sell it back to me for $62.00. I sold the totaled car for another $2000 to someone who realized the value of the drivetrain alone.

Financially it all turned out o.k., but I would really rather have my car still sitting in my garage.

How this relates to the 998 I don't know, I guess I just felt like sharing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it relates because it pertains to insurance, total, and buyback. My insurance guy was pretty cool. I don;t have any vehicle claims so the whole process only took about 1 1/2 weeks from filing police report to end result.
PSsssp said:
How this relates to the 998 I don't know, I guess I just felt like sharing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They're giving me my bike back minus the 1500.00 dollar salvage value/fee and my deductable which comes to like 9500.00.
So I get my bike back plus a check for 9500.00 but the title will be salvaged and coverage reduced from Full coverage to liabilty only til I replace the parts
Chuckracer said:
So what is the end result? What are they giving you?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
so you owe the thief some gratitude? your same bike, plus $9000 minus $2800 if you want new fairing oem fairing?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No.. because the 9500 will go to the bank to pay off the loan. I still owe 10,800 for the bike.. So I will have a bike that I can;t ride, and still owe 1400 to even get the title even IF it's salvaged.
Namor said:
so you owe the thief some gratitude? your same bike, plus $9000 minus $2800 if you want new fairing oem fairing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts