Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second set of comments from the trip - this time about the seat. This trip turned out to be 11,000 miles in 3 weeks of riding. The next longest trip I've ever taken was only 2,500 miles so this was a big jump. Prior to the trip the #1 comfort concern I had (given the expectation of many 500 mile/>10 hour days) was the seat. On shorter trips after 2 or 3 days my butt would get pretty sore, to the point that I'd have to make more frequent stops and even then it would not really cure the issue. I did some research and opted to try the Airhawk seat with the idea that if it didn't work I'd get a seat when I got to San Diego. (SD was 4400 miles/8 days in, plenty of time to test).

I chose the Cruiser Medium based on some online suggestions. It fits the seat about perfect in the back, but it's a bit wide in the front. The straps look to me like they might fall off (they're linked by a metal bracket that doesn't 'close' but rather has an open hooked slot)... but they didn't once actually do it so probably not an issue. I inflated the seat per the recommendation that it feel underinflated (don't 'fill it', just get it so it doesn't touch down anywhere when you're sitting evenly on it). Also... on the way out the airhawk wasn't rigidly mounted, it was able to move around fore and aft as well as side to side. I found that after mounting the bike I usually had to recenter it because it was pushed right a bit, and as I road it would slowly move back, necessitating me having to lift my butt off it and grab the front of it to pull it back forward periodically. When it was in the back position it would comfortable for a while then it would start to push me forward toward the tank (like the normal seat). When it was in the front position it was flat and wouldn't push me forward, but after a half hour or hour it would start to chafe my thighs because it was wider than the seat. I found myself letting it shift back and then periodically pulling it forward to even out all pressure points. Using that method I rode all the way out with no discomfort.

I found it was a bit weird feeling during spirited riding, the air in it would shift side to side as I shifted my weight. I don't think it was dangerous but I preferred to take it off for shenanigans (I really like the stock seat for hard riding... makes you feel planted).

On the day I left SD I remounted it so it couldn't move to see if that was better. I found that since it couldn't move I was less able to adjust for comfort. (should have known). Switched it back after that day and for the remaining 6,000 miles I had it configured just like for the first 4400.

The seat was good enough that my last day was my hardest - 900 miles/16 hours... and I got home (after midnight) with no backside pain. There were a few times when I stopped and stretched during that day to keep the blood moving. But in fact... the only real 'lingering' discomfort I had during the trip was that after about 7000 miles my hands got sore. That's something I've never actually experienced before, a week after getting back and they're still a bit unhappy with me... but my butt is ready for another trip.

I can give the AirHawk seat a unequivocal endorsement... works as advertised and takes 2 minutes to go back to a firm for fun stock seat. And I'm 50 this year... so I feel the aches and pains a lot more than when I was 20 or 30.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I inflate it so there's a bit of my butt touching the seat but also getting supported . if you inflate so you aren't touching it gives that rocking feeling, I find that too much

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've installed snaps under my seat and that really cleans up the install.

t_bare

Reactions: DaveK

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've installed snaps under my seat and that really cleans up the install.

t_bare
Pics?

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
DaveK- 11K miles in 3 weeks, you the man! I also used an Airhawk on my XR on trip in MX. I just duct taped the straps to the flat seat pan underneath to keep it where I wanted it. Also put about an inch of electrical tape around the slide clasps so it wouldn't disengage. T_bare the snap idea is great! I originally bought the Airhawk back in '09 for my F800GS, that seat was absolute torture, worst of any bike I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DaveK- 11K miles in 3 weeks, you the man! I also used an Airhawk on my XR on trip in MX. I just duct taped the straps to the flat seat pan underneath to keep it where I wanted it. Also put about an inch of electrical tape around the slide clasps so it wouldn't disengage. T_bare the snap idea is great! I originally bought the Airhawk back in '09 for my F800GS, that seat was absolute torture, worst of any bike I've ever owned.
What is it with BMW and seat designs. I had a 12-13 GS as a loaner when my bike was in for it's first service. The seat was so astoundingly bad that within an hour I had to take the bike back... I could barely sit on it my ass (and other important bits that spent the time smashed into the front of the seat) was so sore.

Last year I rented an R1200GS for 4 days in Europe and it was fine... so either they've sorted out or they're REALLY hit or miss with their designs.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the review!
How many miles on your MTS now?
37,000 - I finally gave up on cleaning her up myself after the trip and talked with Abbott who has a buddy who it appears has a LOT more skill than I do when it comes to detailing. He sent me a pic (I'm picking up the bike tomorrow), looks good:

How do you like the Tuono? I'm thinking that'll be my next purchase, the more I look and listen the more I like.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts