Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just noticed the headers on my 98 fe are stainless.oe or aftermarket? i remember my 99ss had carbon steel headers, they rusted away.:think:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is there a way to restore the OE headers on the carb'd 900SS?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If they are not eaten through, which if they are stainless they should not be, then you can get them ceramic coated. This will stop rusting and cuts down a lot of the heat produced by the pipes. On the Duc's it doent cost that much because they only have 2 pipes. My mate got it done on his custom R1 system and i just about shit and fell back in it.

Best of all it gives it a nice silver finish...

·
Registered
231 Posts
scrub them with a stainless steel scouring pad?
is there a certain direction or pattern to it?

also, would getting it ceramic coated after scrubbing them down a good idea?

·
Registered
421 Posts
scrub them with a stainless steel scouring pad?
is there a certain direction or pattern to it?

also, would getting it ceramic coated after scrubbing them down a good idea?

No particular pattern. But I scrubbed mine all in one direction as it looked better.
I wouldn't bother with the ceramic coating if they are stainless.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dont really need ceramic coating if they are stainless, it would only be for heat, not really for looks. The stainless they use in these exhausts from memory is 409. It is a high carbon stainless. It wont gloss up and look like chrome kitchen knives but it will come up nice. How long that lasts, well who knows...

Make sure you use stainless scouring pads, as steel ones will leave traces of steel behind and that will rust and you will be back at square one again :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts