Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Would someone be able to tell me what the plaque on the SLs and FE' were made from please? I know the dimensions with reference to length and width but could do with the thickness of the plaque as I'm looking at having one fabricated!
I 've managed to track down the original owner of my FE who has given me the plaque number of the bike (No 257!) as the plaque on mine has been removed.
If you've any ideas as to where I could come by an aforementioned plaque, that would be helpful to please!

Thanks for your help,
Richie.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unbelievable. This post has had about 60 views and still no-one has been able to tell me what the SL / FE numbered plaques are made from..!
Please help someone!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have never looked at the FE plaque, but if it's the same as the plaque on the 900 SP's, it's made from cheesy-ass plastic with an ever-so-slightly-gay fake chrome overlay. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will try and check mine with a magnet tonight but I think that the 900SL atleast is brass plated steel. Mine was pretty grotty when I got it and polishing with autosol took the plating off so that it is now a sliver colour. Definitely not chrome plated plastic on my 96 SL though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry, no clue what its made of. It does look like brass plate. Its embossed not, printed.

I seriously doubt anyone is making such an animal. Pretty limited market for 'replacement 1998 Ducati 900ss FE individual number plates'. I'm just sayin'.....:D

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Richie, the piece is not a solid brass piece as the surface wears off and cannot be polished to make it any better. The lettering is embossed "positive" so that it stands out from the plaque. I asked a few times about getting a replacement made for mine and all I got was dumb looks so I gave up as mine wasn't so bad.

I would find someone who has a bike with one, measure it, and pencil rub the font onto a piece of paper. I'd start with a laser engraver first.

Or...how good is your Italian? If you could find out who made the originals? I wonder if the more recent "FE" bikes have the same type plaque made by the same supplier. Good luck--you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The homologation plates on the Bevel drives present a similar issue. They get beat up a lot but are unique and unavailable so restorers had a problem.

In that world, Damien at http://www.bevelrubber.com.au/ has jumped in a made the plates. It's a bit easier than the FE plaques in that a homologation plate is unique to a model and not to an individual bike. Damien is a true craftsman and has sourced identical metal (Al) and rivets. If you are serious about getting replacements, he might have a suggestion on where to get / make FE plaques.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your feedback all. Very useful. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Richie.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It was my impression, based on the way the plate oxidized, that it was Sterling silver. Who knows...?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOS high-level cans for FE/SL.

Hi all,
Are you able to buy BOS cans in the US? If so, how much are they please for the high-level carbon variety?

Many thanks,
Richie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts