Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week that I was fed up trying to make the Mikuni's work as well as I would like, and decided to take the plung with Kiehin 41mm flat slides. I had read up on the advantages, and the generally rave reviews of how they could transform the bike.

Everything I read was true.

The bike is much, much smoother throught the entire rev band. My tech told me that although it drops off power wise in the typical ~8,500 range, it still rev'd and pulled past 10K! (gulp...) It starts fast (did before too) and idles at ~700 very easily. Some say that the 41's don't increase HP, and I don't have a dyno run to support nor dispute that. I will say that I took a decent running 900SS to the shop that would not loft the wheel despite the 14/37 gearing. I can tell you now that it does very easily. It also had a flat spot around 3300 to 3500 that I could quite get figured out...it's gone, and there are no other flat spots through the rev band.

It's not cheap option at around $825 from Chris Kelley at Ca Cycleworks. However it's a very noticable improvement and I reccomend it highly. I also reccommend Chris and Ca Cycleworks for the kit. It comes with everything that's need for an easy bolt up. No extra running for this or that...My tech was pleased with the kit (bloody well better be at $90/hr.)

If you're on the fence about this one, don't be. Take the plunge.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
FCR's

Ironbutt, nice to hear you are pleased with the result. Join the club.

If you don't have the coils and hi comp pistons you should get both. As much as the improvement was going to the FCR carbs, you will get that much again doing pistons and coils.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am really glad to here that the coils and pistons make that much more of a differance, I have the pistons and coils allready but just bought the 41s and havent got to ride it due to all my plastic being at the paint shop. cant wait to put it back together and ride it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good on ya! Yeah, gotta give a big thumbs up to both the FCRs and Chris Kelly at ca-cycleworks. Both are definite must-haves for your Ducati. I'd also give a strong recommendation on the Dyna coils, again from Chris as he's got some additional mounting parts in his kit (and better instructions) that make the coils a much better bolt-on operation. You think it wheelies easily now? Second gear roll-on wheelies easily after the coils were added on my '95 SP. If I ever wear this bike out I'll go for the 944 big-bore kit, but for now I'm very happy with its performance. Glad you took the plunge and are pleased with the results. Congratulations, and wheelie on!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congrats! You'll enjoy them for sure. With a stock SS, they are probably spot-on right out of the box but if not, don't be afraid to tweak and adjust to get perfect. Chris's site has a great how-to called "Want to diddle with your FCRs?" that's the best write up I've seen.
http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/inside_fcr.html

Having an L-twin makes access really easy so trial and error is no big headache.

Tim
'98 900SS FE
'96 900SS SP (rolling parts bin)
'78 900SS
'74 750 Sport

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good to hear!

That's great to hear that the goods are for real on the FCRs! I have been thinking about it and don't have the $$$ yet, but it sounds like the way to go. Also, got the coils a few months ago and they really helped with cold (~30F) starting, also seemed to reduce carb icing.

Enjoy the FCRs! I will have mine in the not too distant future

96SP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts