Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drained it all, banged the carb, filled with oil and now - doesnt idle well, had to crank up the adjust all the way. Been exactly 1300 for 9000 miles at that setting and now it barely holds 1000. Another thing, took off the oil filter cap - its like blowing as hard as the exhaust. This is not right. ideas?

Oh, new plugs,... oil filter.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, what fun. Wouldn't turn over so I pulled the plugs, put it in gear and rotated the rear wheel - shot a beer can worth of fuel 25 feet!

Anyway, it seems to be sorted now, but I think even though the carbs are only one year from new, I need new float parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Common issue with FCRs. Add a ball valve style fuel shut off to the fuel line within easy reach, so you do not have to lift the tank every time you park the bike.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am having trouble finding nice fuel shutoffs that are not plastic, any recommendations/links to purchase?

Oh, and I have two hoses coming down from the tank, to a Y, and then a single to the carbs. The Y is very close to the piston head so it would not be desirable to put the tap there - do I need two shut offs?

Had a great ride on it tonight, up kinda late but the carbs seemed fine and perhaps even idling better than it has in a year. It is the fuel change that brought this adventure on; we got high content ethanol fuel left over from California due to the change of seasons. They dump their crappy gas on us in Arizona.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I am having trouble finding nice fuel shutoffs that are not plastic, any recommendations/links to purchase?

Oh, and I have two hoses coming down from the tank, to a Y, and then a single to the carbs. The Y is very close to the piston head so it would not be desirable to put the tap there - do I need two shut offs?

Had a great ride on it tonight, up kinda late but the carbs seemed fine and perhaps even idling better than it has in a year. It is the fuel change that brought this adventure on; we got high content ethanol fuel left over from California due to the change of seasons. They dump their crappy gas on us in Arizona.
Pingel makes a nice valve. Kevin did a nice review and research in this thread. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/564354-fuel-supply-line.html

·
Registered
903 Posts
The Pingel parts are beautiful and expensive. I bought a gold anodized valve with a red plastic knob on Amazon for a few dollars. It works fine.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Parts unlimited has a 90 degree shut off that is cheap and lasts for years part #1118 about $14.00

Never trailer/haul a bike with FCR's without shutting off the fuel, I would check float adjust and you will probably be fine . You have a better chance some debris stuck the float open then the ethanol damaged it that fast. The FCR floats are sprung softer than oem floats so they can be more prone to this. Now you know to keep an eye on oil level so you have a heads up, and always shut the fuel off when done riding. A added bonus is additional security when thieves cannot get far when you do not know the bike has a fuel shut off.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Two weeks ago the float bowl stuck but I got the chance to knock it with a hammer and unstick it before it got too crazy. Then this flood happened. And now it seems normal three days later. Have the cut off installed, one of the parts mentioned in one of the links to Amazon from upthread, but both times this happened to me was when I was riding - not out of the garage or parking spot.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
If it happens whilst riding then you need to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning and/or overhaul.

I doubt mine would do so as I think it could actually use all the fuel it gets... :laugh:

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Two weeks ago the float bowl stuck but I got the chance to knock it with a hammer and unstick it before it got too crazy. Then this flood happened. And now it seems normal three days later. Have the cut off installed, one of the parts mentioned in one of the links to Amazon from upthread, but both times this happened to me was when I was riding - not out of the garage or parking spot.
Put down the hammer, it's time to service your carbs. Pull the needles, jets, bowls, floats and slides out - then take it to someone with an ultrasonic cleaner to sit overnight. Put it back together with a fresh rebuild kit. Jets-R-Us has everything you will need in the mail to you tomorrow if SUDCO is too much of a PITA for you.

Add a clear in-line fuel filter so you can see if crap is making it past your in-tank filter.

Reactions: rwantin

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could take another look at fitting an external fuel filter, but with the carbs being only a year old from new I am having some difficulty believing they are worn out.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I could take another look at fitting an external fuel filter, but with the carbs being only a year old from new I am having some difficulty believing they are worn out.
If the filtration's not up to it then there could be a small piece of tank-crap stuck in the float valve causing this. I run a fuel-injection type filter on mine, along with the electric shut-off and have not had any carb leaking/overflowing issues.

I do however get occasional fuel overflow issues with the Dellorto carbs on the Guzzi as it only has very basic fuel filters (and manual shut-offs that are easy to forget), fortunately though, due to the design the fuel leaks out of the intake stack over the rear of the engine rather than fill the crankcase...

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
We're not saying that the carbs are bad or worn out, just dirty or stuck. They get dirty from the fuel system passing particles, the get stuck from letting e10/ethanol gas sit in them for too long and varnish. The response to either of those scenarios is the same.

The additional clear filter is your sanity check on that (filter to back up the fuel, clear to back up your sanity). In fact, you could probably get away with just pulling the carbs off the bike, opening up the bowls and cleaning the float needles and seats. However, if your fuel system is passing particles or varnished, it's hard to know that there isn't dirt or varnish elsewhere in there that could cause other fueling issues. It's kind of a PITA to remove the carbs, so since you have them out under suspicion of dirty fuel, you might as well go the extra bit for the insurance of not doing the same job twice. Since they're new and you're not replacing them, take the jets, needles and slides with you to have them cleaned in the ultrasonic as well.

The rebuild kits generally only include the gaskets and seals which are considered single use. The rubber ones will be pinched, compressed or distorted during installation, will lose elasticity from heat cycling and you may wind up tearing or gouging one trying to remove it. The paper ones will also have compressed and likely won't come out in one piece. The kit I picked up from Powerbarn included a new float needle as it's a universal part not specific to any particular bike's fuel "map".

Another scenario (highly unlikely) is a manufacturing defect in the float needles, needle seats, or assembly. If you ONLY service the float bowls you might consider replacing them, though they are probably perfectly serviceable. You definitely want to inspect them thoroughly though.

You should also consider flushing the fuel lines and inspecting the tank for more dirt or rust and verifying the integrity of your current fuel fiitration system. Those particles came from somewhere; there's no point cleaning the carbs and then pumping more dirt in.

Or, just keep a hammer in the cubby under the seat. I might suggest a rubber mallet so you don't accidentally rupture or dent the float bowls the next time it floods.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are all good ideas, thank you. Since it is a daily driver it has been quite reliable and powerful since I put the carbs on with a new filter then - the reason the Mikuni's got removed was only because it needed a new filter at that time but I panicked and bought the FCR's.

I think I got E-20 gas twice in the last 3 weeks and that did something to one float bowl, not both. I will get the clear filter put on and ride some more.

Its not just my imagination, it actually is idling smoother now and fires up quicker - the hammer whacks did something good. I mean it is clear that it is idling better than it has since the day I put the FCR's on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts