Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out for a simple ride to the gym and I dumped the bike on the on ramp to the
the highway.

i'm out in mass and the weather has been shitty for the last week...until today when the rain let up and the ground started to dry up, so I figured I'd take the oppertunity to go fo a ride.
The gym is 20mins from my and I have to jump on the highway...which I like cause I can open her up!

But as I hit the on ramp I was carrying a bit of speed stood her up and locked the front brakes... some sand...and that's all she wrote.

Next thing I know the front slipps out from me and I'm tumbling around like a rag doll...pow, the helmits hits the ground and I'm rolling, stopped and seen my ike on the ground and could not believe it...1st crash ever.

shit suck, now I have to call my insurance to file a claim.

shittttty day.

Luckly I was not going that fast due to breaking and standing the bad boy up plus I had my leather jacket, gloves and boots on so only sustained minor cuts to the knees.

At this moment I can only laugh at my stupidity.

I figured I'd felt better if I shared this w/ a bunch of understanding souls.

______eddie:eek:
boo so only sustained minor cuts to the knee

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
996 crashed

I knew there wld be some understanding souls here...that's why I love this site.

Yeah...definite lesson today..beware of on ramps, shit.

Next move is to buy some jeans w/ the knee protector.

Know is the tedious task of calling my insurance and filing a claim then waiting for my baby to get fixed.the thing that sucks is I had a bunch of ill decals on my fairing that I must search/find and replace

I don't even want to go out to the garage and look at the bad boy...right side fairing done, clutch cover done, right blinker done and the throttle handle has to go...Oh well, that's whgat insurance is for.

BIB,BIG, lesson today.

Thanks for hearing me out...cld of been worse.

Peace --Eddie:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad to hear your ok too.

Some lady tipped over my 996 a few years ago, and the insurance company was about to total it out. Damn, those fairings and gas tank are expensive!

So, I asked them to give me as much as they could without totaling my bike. I just could stand having it a salvage title with just a tip over.

Took the 5-6g and ran like a bandit:)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hurting your bike like this is really painful.

Frustrating how easily these things happen.

·
comrade moderator
26,775 Posts
Amazing how fast that happens, isn't it? It never ceases to amaze me when it happens. One second life is good, then WHAM! You're on the ground.

It always sucks, too. That's the price we pay for this wonderful sport...and we all pay sooner or later. Glad you're OK...the bike is fixable. It'll all be good!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't touch the brake in a high speed turn. She will lean more, you just have to have the balls to lean with her.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
996 dumped

It's more my ego then my body that hurts right now.

went out to the garage this morning to further assess the damage and shade some tears for my baby.

The damage is all cosmetic, right hand fairing, blinker/mirror
and throttle grip w/ the exception of the right footpeg and minor
scrapping on the lower exhaust.

I think it will cost me cheaper to fix it then go thru my insurance and get hit w/ a surcharge.

thanks u guys for the concern and support.

Peace -Eddie:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
How exactly did you stand her up and lock the front brakes? Glad to hear you are ok bones and organs are much more expensive than a 996.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glad you are OK.

What do you mean stood her up and locked the front brakes?

Did you do a stoppie that went too far? lol I bet that looked pretty cool until she went down on her side... ouch....

·
Registered
357 Posts
^^ He was on an on ramp going fast, saw some sand ahead, stood the bike up from a lean (turning), and hit the brakes..hard. Lose lose situation. You do what he did, or keep it leaned over and press your luck.

Sorry to hear that man! Glad your alright though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ahhhh memories of when I went down the first time on my Duc. Glad you are okay. Everything else can be fixed and better aftermarket parts cost the same or less than Ducati OEM. These days when I crash, it's just another excuse to reserect her bigger and better.

Did you try to wash her yet? It all seems little better after a wash :) Besides, you just got yourself a nice set of track fairings.

I would claim it with your insurance, you will get a lot of $$ if the apraise it with OEM parts .. take it to an expesive Ducati dealership, they will try to rape you and the insurance company and apraise it really high. Besides, it doesn't take much to total it. Get the $$ and go shopping for some carbon fiber. Then you pick up insurance with another company. Your rates stay the same coz this accident was not a ticket and therefore does not go on your license as points and the new insurance company has no means of tracking this accidents. Been there, done that, worked out great.

Good luck dude and don't make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The same kinda thing almost happened to me about a month ago. Me and a buddy went for a trip to a nice twisty road, I came into the first turn way faster than I should have. I got scared,:eek: hit the front brake, stood up, then had to lean HARD to avoid hitting the guard rail on the opposite side of the road. Then on the way back(after I changed my undies), the exact same thing happened to him! But he ended up laying down his TWO DAY OLD '09Kawi. He was so pissed/upset at himself, I couldnt help but feel bad for him.

Anyways, sorry about your bike. Good luck gettin it fixed and ride safe man.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If you've been riding for any kind of time, we've all done something similar. Glad you're okay and the bike damage is fixable. Sucks to be rolling on the ground knowing your baby is getting fraged up at the same time. This is why we pay the insurance premiums and wear all that fancy gear for, take care, feel better.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Stop Crying and be happy hehe ;)
damage is so minor and you're alright.
Where the snapshots at?

It's more my ego then my body that hurts right now.

went out to the garage this morning to further assess the damage and shade some tears for my baby.

The damage is all cosmetic, right hand fairing, blinker/mirror
and throttle grip w/ the exception of the right footpeg and minor
scrapping on the lower exhaust.

I think it will cost me cheaper to fix it then go thru my insurance and get hit w/ a surcharge.

thanks u guys for the concern and support.

Peace -Eddie:)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sorry for your experience, might concider signing up for a trackday. I'm a firm believer the one day on the track = yr of motorcycle handling experience. It will help you rebuild your confidence and its a hell of a lot of fun. Think of it as insurance..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts