Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im a new owner of a 06 1000SS. Im going to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and need some help. Based on various articles and sound clips from this forum I have narrowed it down to the termis. However, the Fast By Ferrachi slips look intriguing, cheaper, I think, too. Problem is, I cant seem to find any reviews or experiences on the FBF's though. If any here has them or even better a soundclip, it would be much appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chris,

Yep they are cheaper. Remeber tho, you get what you pay for. If you are going to go to the trouble to swap out the cans or the whole system, save a little more if you have to, but get yourself a good system. It will last longer, perform better, and you will be more satisfied in the long run.
Which is the best? Don't go there, it's a tired and beaten horse.
You have to ask yourself what path do you want to take and how much are you wanting to spend.
If you have the dosh for a good system then by all means get one. If you are looking for immediate gratification and aren't bothered by having to rebuild or replace the cans in a couple of years or more, then get the cheaper stuff.
One thing I have noticed is that the cheaper systems, (D&D, FbF, Micron), tend to be louder and when the packing craters the performance starts to drop offf dramatically.
Best thing you can do is go out and listen to as many different systems as you can on bikes similar to yours. Figure out how much you want to spend and how often you want to spend it, (unles your plans for this bike are short term, then it makes no difference what you put on), and find a set that will give you the best balance of performance, build quality, and that all important Ducati sound quality.

That's the generalization part of the program, now while I have your attention, I'll relay what I have on my 97 900ss/sp.
I bought the bike with a set of carbon FbF cans in-place. They sounded okay, but did not really do much for performance and the carbon fiber was looking tatty after a couple of years from UV damage.
I now have a complete Staintune stainless steel spaghetti system. The difference is day and night. The build quality is excellent and the fit was spot on perfect. The cans came with removable inserts at the tips. Pop a small allen screw and the sound quality goes from a low pleasant rumble to a gnarly Ducati roar. I prefer the latter, my neighbors are wishing for a return to the inserts.
The other nice part about the "tunes" is the lifetime warranty. I don't think any other manufacturer is doing that.

My wifes 2000 M900S monster has Leo Vinci titanium high mounts. The quality is also excellent, they weigh next to nothing, performance is noticeably improved, and the sound awesome. L.V. are also available for your ride.

Now listen to what others are going to say, your mind will get totaly scrambled and you will end up knowing a bit more than you do now, but the good thing is, if you buy a set and decide you don't like them, you can always take them off, sell them and go try something else.
The joys of tinkering.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
64 Posts
+1 to what Phonse said. I have a full Staintune system on my 93 900SS which is the third system I have had on the bike. The fit, finish and quality of the Staintune is first rate. The first set up I had were the D&D low mount slip ons. They were very loud and the quality was absolute crap! Second set up was a set of carbon high mounts I bought from Pro Italia. They looked just like the Termis but without the sticker. Sound, fit and finish was very good.

As Phonse said, take your time, do not get cheap, and pick the system you like best!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
My neighbor has FBF carbon cans on his '05 SS800. They are made by SIL and are good quality. He recieved the wrong hangers and were a bit of a PITA to fit. The "correct" hangers finally came, and they were still a bit off as far as fitment :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
the FBF stuff is actually a lot nicer than what these guys say. I looked into them but went with a Ducati Performance kit. It came with ecu, termis(which also came with the wrong hangers) airbox lid and filter. The fit was not good, but with a bit of adjustments wound out to be excellent.I would really be suprised if any slip on comes out of the box and just pops on with no adjustment to the head pipe and rear section. The Sil moto pipes are VERY nice compared to the Termis I have, but each to his own. I found Staintunes to be very pricey for the slip ons. I paid less than 1000 for the whole kit and it has a ducati factory warranty and does not effect any of the bike's warranty. by the time you buy the staintunes or the FBF stuff, add a power commander and filter, you can get the DP kit from Section 8 with some change left over. I have an 05 1000ss, with the dp kit it had quite noticeable gains, not to mention a great thumping exhaust sound now

·
Registered
284 Posts
nickg said:
I would really be suprised if any slip on comes out of the box and just pops on with no adjustment to the head pipe and rear section.
My C/F high mount Arrows went right on out of the box as intended.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dutch900 said:
on your 1000 ss? the earlier bikes i would say, sure i don't doubt it. but later ones? i do. remember if you have an early bike, we are talking apples to oranges really as they are totally different bikes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Ive pretty well decided to go with the termi kit with ecu,filter. Most say they are of good quality and the sound is good. It also help that my local dealer recommends them and ther warranty etc. Like most of you though, I will probably change exhaust several times before all is said and done. :D I will post pics and sound clip when its done.

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dutch900 said:
You got one of the good sets, then! My dealer said about every fourth one needs some fiddling. My cf high mounts needed a lot of tweaking. Took my dealer the better part of a day to get them to fit. He almost sent them back, but a solution came to him overnight...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hahaha, maybe! I don't know what he did, I think he bent the brackets some. He did such a good job I can't tell. They are both perfectly level and at the same height when viewed from the rear. I'm pretty handy and do a lot of work on my bike, but when I put them on, they weren't even close to lining up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts