Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Greg
Did you work at BCM
Yes 1997-2007. I worked for many years with Doug and I remember LT coming up to the shop for a couple days, he very may have built the system for LT while he waited I kind of remember him taking home another bike from BCM as well. I have not heard of Alex Ortner in many years either, I used to see him out at Grattan raceway in Michigan once a year but as Cyclecat wound down and we transitioned from riding out there with DOCC to renting the track ourselves we lost touch.

Speaking of Alex does anyone have a picture of his Vdue (sp) he built? It was a very cool 2-valve bike built with help from Alex,Guy Martin and Dougie. IIRC it was a titanium frame and exhaust from Doug, a 966 2-valve motor from Guy and about everything else from Alex. I will see if I can find a photo but it came out very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Eric......

………...I used to have a link to a page with that V-Due bike on it but damn if I can find it now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This bike is stunning and I love the one piece tail section that came on the Superlight (and is available from Airtech). May I ask, how do you access the underseat compartment with this setup?
The only way to access the underseat compartment is by removing the 4 screws, takes just a few minutes, you do have to carry an allen wrench with you.

By the way I heard your mention of Floyd Bennet field in Brooklyn, having grown up in that area I know it well. In the good old days we used to set up a course and have some great races between friends there, it was also a great meeting place for sport bikers. You couldn't get away with that now, the police have become much more strict.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
BTW - if you put things in a waterproof sack you can fit a great deal of stuff under that hump. I usually just carry a couple of tools, flashlight and a spare copy of the manual along with a full rainsuit.

edit*
Yes, the 4 allen screws are a PITA so what goes into the hump are things that make or break a long road trip in the desert. It rains 4 days a year around here so haven't taken the rainsuit out in 8 months. Manual? well, I have a PDF on my phone so I really don't need it. Flashlight? Got one in my tank bag, and on my phone so its a backup. Tools? The only time I've broken into the hump for was the rear axle wrenches needed to tighten my chain that I should have done before riding and to use a small can of chain wax I keep in there. Once I opened it up for a master link to fit a Harley that one of my fellow travelers needed desperately, along with the multitool pliers to put it on, but again that wasn't for my bike. I carry my 520 master link, a 525, 625/635 and whatever the F*ck HD takes,...(I will never forgive what a hassle it was at the HD dealer to get that link! They were complete A-holes at the parts counter. "You have a foreign bike, why do you want that?" And what I ended up with looked just like a 635 but it worked well enough for my friend to get home) I guess I have a tiny first aid kit in there too, along with a rag, electrical tape, zip ties and a short piece of wire.

Don't be afraid of the hump because of 4 allen screws if you like the look, it has it's benefits too

·
Registered
703 Posts
your SS...

Years ago, I corresponded w/ Alex Ortner on the repair of my cracked frame '96 SS/SP. Very helpful guy, showed me exactly where to put a crosspiece to strengthen the frame.

fixed frame.JPG

Fred H.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Some believe the cracked frames come from the frame not being braced enough and cracking. I do not believe that to be the case but If you want to stiffen up the frame with a cross brace I do not see that being a problem either. I have seen plenty of frames that have been repaired and not braced and have never had the issue return, I have added cross braces when we were looking to stiffen a frame for track use but not to prevent a crack.

Looks like a good job was done so it should never be an issue again either way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Strangely enough, I think this might be one of my favorite pics of my bike. I look back at it and think how crazy I was to tear the entire bike apart and put it back together again, especially without ever doing something like that before. It just goes to show that with enough will (ahem, money) and help, you can do anything you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
your SS...

The other welds are where the frame cracked. I modified the airbox lid and filter to fit under the cross brace. airbox mod2.JPG

airbox&frame3.JPG

airbox mod1.JPG

·
Registered
206 Posts
A few more pics. I bought this during the middle of winter on a snowy Jan day, without test riding it. I wasn't even looking for a bike until I saw how nice it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
A few more pics. I bought this during the middle of winter on a snowy Jan day, without test riding it. I wasn't even looking for a bike until I saw how nice it was.
Cracking find you got there ifly!

41 - 60 of 136 Posts