Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Monster 797+
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a shoe/boot for my commute to work (50 miles) and keep coming up blank. I ordered some of the Alpinestars Sektor shoes from Revzilla and wasn't a fan of how they fit my foot. They were really bulky around the mid-foot and really loose around my ankle. There didn't seem to be enough velcro to really tighten up the ankle strap. It's almost like I need to size down but the length was correct.

Right now I've been wearing a pair of Noru Tori "boots" that I picked up at the dealership for $40. They feel good, fit my foot well, and have some ankle protection on the outside. They seem to be decent quality but are not made of leather and would likely disintegrate.

I came across these Harley Davidson shoes that look like what I'm wanting but outside of being leather they don't seem to have any ankle protection. Any suggestions from the crowd?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I have over many years --had probably 25 pair's of boots. For me they have to be comfortable to ride in but also to walk in, This is something very hard to find---I have found most are fine while riding but some-even getting off the bike to fill the tank is painful. I race in a pair of AlpineStars, they are fine while on the bike--get off the bike and you dont want to walk 2 steps without getting the damn things off. --About 20 years ago I purchased 3 sets of boots -all the same--& they dont make them anymore. --They are believe it or not----Harley Davidson TourGlide boots. -These are a tall -(almost to my knee's) boot but the damn things are the most comfortable motorcycle boots I have ever owned -(in over 40 years of riding) I can ride all day & get off the bike and walk all night and my feet feel fine. --The things you have shown I would not ride in they do not offer enough protection nor support in an accident & that is one thing you Must take into consideration. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not a fan of riding shoes, I feel like they don't offer proper protection. I ride with Alpinestars SuperTech R everyday and I love them. Yes, pain in the ass to take on and off (especially on hot days), hard to store and is expensive, but I love them. I feel very confident with them on and would never consider anything else. I have been down with them 3 times (twice on street, once at track) and they have held up every time. I even think they saved me from a broken ankle.

·
Registered
2020 Monster 797+
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The things you have shown I would not ride in they do not offer enough protection nor support in an accident & that is one thing you Must take into consideration. just my 2 cents
There is always something that is going to offer more protection but I'm looking at these as something I can wear to work all day and still offer more protection than a pair of Nike running shoes.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I ride 25 miles everyday one way--so 50 miles a day round trip--I wear boots while riding and change to work shoes during the day--then put the boots back on to ride home--it takes all of 1 min to change--I prefer to consider safety more then looking for something that is a compromise all the way around. --Sorry but I spend 8 months in hospital from a woman trying to pass 2 cars in blind fog and took me out head on--yes I was broken, but due to full riding gear I had no internal injures nor head trauma. Everyone has to make their own choice--& live with their bad decisions.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My favorite has been discontinued, due to my climate I often prefer non leather boots for all day comfort. They are a little wider in the toe area which I need but the lacing and velcro strap are excellent. Great all day walk around shoes and easy to operate the shifter on the bike.

I have not seen this TCX Rush 2 boot yet, but they say it is the new version of the Blaze I've had for years - I think it is a lot more boy racer looking than my Blaze which are very light and subtle but well made and offer great protection.

My friend has TCX Street Ace, the older version from 7 years ago and they still look great

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My favorites are my Z Custom boots. Made custom to my feets dimensions.
They are very comfortable, fit like they were made for me because they were, and could pass for dress shoes with dress pants. They are around 13 yo, and holding up well. Z Custom does not make boots any longer, last I checked.

Thinking about a pair from Bates one of these days.
Prices are competitive with off the shelf, and if it is made for your weird foot..... :D
Same with leathers actually.

FOOTWEAR — Bates

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a pair of the dainese yorks, they're ce 2 and look and feel pretty nice. Had their street biker air's before and those got shredded by my shifter in 2 seasons.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a set of TCX Rush 2 Air. I got them specifically for summer commuting. They are fantastic! Decent protection, high cut for ankle protection and offer lots of(as the name indicates) air flow that actually flows. Not good for winter, too cold.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Shoes are not boots. When I was 14 yrs old I hit a dog on my 60cc (fekker snuck up behind me when I was riding home on a residential street). I was going no more than 20mph, the Doberman ran up behind me, then lunged at the spinning front tire in an attempt to bite it (stupid dog). I hit it, the forks folded to the left, did an endo, I filpped over the handlebars and got ~shit whipped~ (like a flyswatter hitting the street) and broke all five metatarsal bones in my left foot. I was a 1/4 mile from home, and going no more than 15/20mph. I was wearing all leather "work boots" ... they did little to protect my foot when it ~slapped~ the pavement.

This kid, that bike, those ~boots~ (yea, right) .. this photo taken about a year before the broken foot.

Replaced the non-boots with full length lace-ups (night racing in Tucson, 1975).

If I am going to go some place where there will be walking and riding I wear 10" tall lace up steel toe Redwings ... I can loosen the laces if a lot of time will be spent walking at some destination ..such as a race or an apple festival. Retighten the laces for the ride home. Similar to these, without the laced-in zipper. My wife had them resoled with more of a road-bike type sole.

~No~, they aren't proper riding boots, but they beat the livin hell out of wearing sneakers when riding.

I learned my lesson, good-fitting, heavy, leather lace up boots ... at the very minimum! My left foot is completely ~flat~ now 45 years after the fall, due to that injury. Friggin size 9 water ski on the end of my left leg. No arch at all. Makes it look as though I have one leg longer than the other (my pelvis ~tilts~ due to the left leg being somewhat shorter due to the collapsed arch) ... I've had to wear a prosthetic ~wedge~ made of hard rubber .. like a hockey puck .. inside of the left shoe to support the arch and "lengthen" that leg by over an inch.

Wear boots. God only gave you two legs and two feet ... Wal Mart is permanently out of stock of new feet ... HEED!

:)

·
Registered
2020 Monster 797+
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not buying in that a pair of leather work boots are more protective than CE I or II dedicated riding shoes with heel/toe reinforcement, ankle protection, and a steel shank in the sole. I've ridden in both.

It does seem like the best option for me though might be getting a pair of real sport boots and changing at work.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Depends on your work of course, when I worked in an office I just kept a pretty pair of shoes in my desk drawer. For quite a while I did what could be described as "delivery type" jobs although it wasn't, so I was in and out of different places in less than an hour. The shoe/boot changing shirt/pants changing was impractical for me 5-7 times a day. That led me to compromises but I chose the best gear I could find.

·
Registered
2015 Streetfighter 848, '96 M900 (sold)
94 Posts
I love my Dainese Yorks although they aren't leather. Spray some water repel on them or starch to keep them from soaking up water and staying nice longer.
Footwear Shoe Walking shoe Grey Sneakers

·
Registered
121 Posts
I opted for Dainese Dover Gore Tex short boots. You can get a better price if you order them from Europe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another vote for Dainese Yorks here.
They are very solidly built, even bootlike in construction.
I replaced the laces with Xpand laces, adjusted very tightly. They can be pulled off with some effort, but it's a fair trade to me. I had a driveway drop several years ago thanks to an errant shoelace.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
781 Posts
The closest I ever got was the revit fairfax.
Excluding sliders, they had all the protection a ce2 boot should have, but they were discontinued because of cheap workmanship. waxed laces would rip if constantly wet, lace hole rivets would come loose, but if you fixed those issues yourself, they last. I still have my first pair that I bought in 2016!

I still have an eBay search for them so if a pair pops up for cheap, I can get a backup. They pop up on a semi regular basis, so if you like the look, I would suggest you do the same.

those and dainese axial are the only two pairs you’ll ever need. Buy once, cry once 😉

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a paid of TCX Heroes that are extremely comfortable (albeit very warm). It's tough to assess protection until you actually need it, but they seem protective. They aren't has nimble to ride with as my Dainese boots, but if I need to walk around and go through my day, they do the trick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No complaints with my Dainese Street Rockers. I have the WP model, which get quite hot if you're in a humid climate. I recommend the normal model (WP = waterproof liner = no breathability)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts