Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching with mixed + ancient results.

I'm (finally) in the process of building up some new wheels and am looking for recommendations for good and reasonable rotors -both front and rear.

Braketech and Brembo seem to have limited options that are very expensive. Galfer fronts start at $300 each, so probably off my list, too.

EBC seem to be all over the place and not too expensive. Any others out there worth considering that won't break the bank?

TIA

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just bought a set from "Metalgear" in Brisbane Australia and are advertised as "made in Australia"
they have a count of 16000 items sold on Ebay with a 100% satisfaction rating
store here:MGear Brake Disc Front R ABS gold at Metalgear
Ebay store here: http://stores.ebay.com.au/MetalGear-International-Pty-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
I have an ST3s ABS 2007 so I needed a disc drilled and tapped to take the ABS ring which was difficult to get a definitive answer from other manufacturers.
I was a bit dubious about the quality because total price for left and right discs was only $354 AUD (aprox $280 USD) got a $35 AUD discount code buying through the Ebay store
I was very pleasantly surprised when the discs arrived, the quality is outstanding.
If they work as good as they look I'll be grinning from ear to ear.
the aluminium carrier is identical to the original ones on the bike apart from the colour
They are more the colour of the caliper, more gold than yellow
I'm waiting on some sintered EBC pads to arrive from the UK ($63 AUD delivered) which should be here next week
Will let you know the outcome of performance once fitted

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting --those look awesome. I'm interested to see how they work out for you.

Wish they had a US distributor. I'm always leery of the whole customs/shipping/returns issues that can potentially pop up.

Also remembered that Spiegler sells rotors, but they're also over $300 each. All nice looking stuff, though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few more questions come to mind while searching; is there a big difference between the OE rotors and the Brembo snowflakes? Just weight savings?

Looking at some used snowflakes and wondering what the thickness is new versus minimum that determines replacement?

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I finally got my brake pads from the UK
Must have been sent Royal "Snail" Mail
Cleaned and installed the new rotors with thread locker
cleaned the calipers and made sure all 8 pistons worked freely before fitting the new pads.
The rotors fitted perfectly along with the ABS ring
The colour of the carrier matches perfectly with the caliper :)
Off for a ride, will report back with the verdict.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The "Verdict"
In a nutshell- better than standard :)

Trying to give an honest report, not trying to justify my purchase, or blow the trumpet of the disc manufacturer (Metalgear)

Went out early today and followed this bed-in procedure
Bed-in for EBC HH and HH 'kit' pads (the ones with the green sticker)

The initial bite is far better than the stock pads and rotors, and the feel at the leaver is somewhat improved
I rode one of my favorite ranges this morning and found myself having to let off the brakes early because I had braked too soon for the corners :)
That tells me that the stopping power has definitely increased
All in all I am very happy to say the least
These rotors are a total bargain for the performance they give
The pads obviously have a lot to do with said performance
That is why I chose top quality branded ones

these are the pads I used

After bed-in procedure

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Just received the pair of Braketech rotors and pads from MotoWheels...as soon as I install and bed them in I'll update...I am counting on improvement and being rid of shudder/judder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2000 ST2 which has always had some brake shudder. Not always, but sometimes when ending slow down or stop - typically low speed. I like the looks of my stock rotors, but after changing steering head bearings, wheel bearings, rebuilding calipers, trying different pads, cleaning the disk rotor buttons, I could not totally eliminate the occasional shudder. The stock rotors were about 3.5mm thick so I figured it was time for a replacement anyway.

I bought some new EBC rotors (EBC Brakes MD614X) from Amazon for $125 each (in April 2018). They fit perfectly and looked very close to the originals. They seem very well made, but not being a member of the metallurgista, I'm not really qualified to say that.

I put new pads on at the time (I believe they were Galfer HH sintered since I use those on my R6 and generate great stopping and little dust). However, I seem to have the same occasional shudder, so it may not have been the rotors in the first place. Regardless, I'm glad to have the new rotors for an affordable price.

One thing about these EBC rotors is that the rotor buttons are square rather than round. Therefore, its impossible to turn them to help clean out the brake dust. Not sure how to do that yet.

Regards,

Tom C.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up going with Brembo Gold Series Front Brake Rotor 78B40870. They were $360 for the pair.

They're a few grams lighter than the snowflake rotors on the new ST's and much lighter than the stockers on my '99.

They don't seem to be readily available in the US now, but can be purchased elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
everything from 89 onward that is the 6 bolt pattern, excepting the 748r and the smaller 300mm 620/695/s2r800, is the same fitment. some were 4, 4.5 and 5mm thick, but all fit the same.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Just received the pair of Braketech rotors and pads from MotoWheels...as soon as I install and bed them in I'll update...I am counting on improvement and being rid of shudder/judder.
Promised an update but I had a bit of delay in getting the BrakeTech Axis SS rotors mounted and bedded in; blame it on Tennessee summer heat and humidity.

Honestly, I had hoped for complete elimination of brake shudder aka judder. I installed them by "by the book" with careful adherence to BrakeTech's detailed installation instructions. Cleaned with Acetone and paired with recommended and purchased fresh Ferodo Sinter Grip ST (road) pads. Weather cooperated and I had an easy time finding a suitable no traffic area for break in / bed in...never had to stop and had plenty of cool down opportunity.

Result: Most of the offending Judder Shudder is gone BUT, something is causing vibration between 60-50 MPH, while decelerating under braking. It occurs at various engine RPM, with and without clutch engaged. (i.e. clutch lever out or clutch lever pulled, respectively).

I really had hoped that I would not still be experiencing this in my ST4s under braking. I probably have 50 miles on the ST4s now since the new BrakeTech Axis SS rotors and I am perplex and dismayed by the shudder occuring at 60-50 MPH under braking. Otherwise, the braking performance feels great. With freshly bled master and calipers, I have over all good feel and great bite, with predictable stopping power. With the new rotors: from 50 down to 10 MPH, no shudder; from higher speeds down to 60ish, no shudder or vibration.

Pads are fully retracting, checked with front end suspended after brake application.

BTW, my forks (and rear shock) were overhauled by Cogent Dynamics, including fitting a 20mm Ohlins piston kit and racetech springs (.95kg); that was about 8,000 miles ago. I installed tapered roller bearings when I refitted the forks post mod. Tires are fresh, no cupping.

I am going to recheck torque in the steering head bearings. I know that roller tapered get a "feel" application of torque to the steering stem nut, and the WSM says 30Nm for the oem ball bearings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Steering head bearing torque did not make a difference...I tried Torque by feel, also used Torque at 30 Nm (which was fine with the roller tapered bearings BTW, steering did not feel excessively tight) so am keeping it that way. Brand new BrakeTech Axis SS rotors with new Ferodo Sinter Grip ST (road) pads and the hated front end Judder / Shudder / vibration is occurring between 60-50 MPH, while decelerating under braking. All other braking regimes are smooth.

Oh well, I guess I will live with it...because I really love pretty much everything else about my ST4s.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Thanks for the reply and suggestion Rich! While I have checked the wheel bearings, I do so regularly whenever removing my wheels, I noticed no discernable axial or radial play...I happen to have an All Balls set on my parts shelf, just in case, as the bearings seem to check fine, just haven't installed them thus far. Also, axle checked and is good...no bend, no deformation. Wheel(s), no run out or out of round issue.

The symptoms are very repeatable, 60-50 MPH only under braking. If bearings were an issue, I assumed that I would have noticed vibration in other regimes. I am going to go with your recommendation and replace the front wheel bearings... will update! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts