Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admire the company Ducati has become.

On the race department, they are fighting with the finest on both WSBK and MotoGP.
On the bike sales department, they are doing great with an advanced and diverse line-up.

Recent launches like the Xdiavel, Supersport and Multi 950 are delivering sales results. And I believe everything they launched at EICMA this year will contribute further to get a larger market share. Specially, the Panigale V4. It is a big technological leap, as big as the one they took many years ago with the 4 valve engine that provided so many Superbike titles.

Having said all this. I have to admit that I am not able to find a Ducati for me in the 2018 line-up.

I can't find one that triggers in me the desire to own it. Not even the Scrambler 1100.
Am I getting old?
Is someone else feeling the same way?

So far, this year I am experiencing the same as last year: A Honda retro styled concept bike is grabbing most of my attention:

My favorite bike from EICMA 2018 (so far):

My favorite bike from EICMA 2017:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Face it. Your just getting old.

Joking of course.

I like the supersport but not enough to buy one. The others are fine as well but nothing hits the soul like the sport classics for me. I guess I am living in the past. My other bike is a thruxton, so a sport classic by another brand. My next bike is going to be one of the new Thruxton R's as well. Can't wait to see/hear a v4 but unless someone gave me one, I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

I saw the white/red Honda online somewhere the other day. That bike looks pretty sweet. They should make it.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I agree. I'm not finding something I've got to have. But I applaud Ducati for the iconic bike lines (as you've listed them) in modern history. Like it the hip Scrambler videos or not, it's been a big success as Claudio Domenicali showed that 43,000 units sold (so I assume) in 2.5 years (see attachment). Of course, the old time bevels are quite the timeless marvel.

That said, I know this may not be everyone's taste, but for some reason I like the futuristic Husqvarna Vitpilen 701. I like different. More close ups here: https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/husqvarna-vitpilen-701/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You want my honest opinion as a Grumpy Old Git? I'm a lifelong Ducati nut, having owned their bikes for over 40 years, but I would not buy a new one at any price. Nothing in their range interests me, but that's because they are a different company now, which is why they are so successful!

If you want the truth (and don't laugh) the only new bike that I would buy today would be a 750 Guzzi or a Kawasaki W800, that's what getting old does to you.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Now this is what a SuperSport should look like! Awesomely beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Bon Vivant
11,301 Posts
I have to agree, there's nothing in Ducatis new line-up that I have to have or that can replace my current bikes. I like the Supersport a lot but my Multi is a better fit for my needs. I thought about trading in the Multi for the latest iteration but every time I ride it I wonder why I would fork over another $20 grand when this bike is still supplying the smiles and the miles. My current MTS is worth just about 2 cups of coffee to other people but to me its priceless.

The bikes I do like ( but not saying I would buy) from the show are:

The new Kaw H2 SX SE, making the H2 into a tourer is a great idea as long as its not too big or too heavy:

Then there's the new z900RS and rs cafe, If they bring this to production I will most likely own it at some point (sorry honey)

·
Registered
592 Posts
The new Kaw H2 SX SE, making the H2 into a tourer is a great idea as long as its not too big or too heavy:

I think thats the most hideous piece of origami styling I've ever seen:surprise:

Reactions: kdehkordi and SP3

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the white/red Honda online somewhere the other day. That bike looks pretty sweet. They should make it.
Same opinion here. Unfortunately the "Old Guy" market doesn't seem to be big enough for Honda to consider it. Triumph is the only manufacturer taking this segment seriously. Ducati think they do with the huge Scrambler line-up, but to be honest they are only building one model with many variations. The Desert Sled might be the only thing interesting there. I wish they had chose that one to put the 1100 engine on.

I know this may not be everyone's taste, but for some reason I like the futuristic Husqvarna Vitpilen 701. I like different. More close ups here: https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/husqvarna-vitpilen-701/
I also like the Vitpilen. Last year they showcased a Vitpilen based Cafe Racer Concept at EICMA. It was awesome! I hope they make that one some day. I guess that will depend on the sales volume of the standard model. Kiska is the design studio behind it, as with many great KTM models. Unfortunately I don't like the direction they are taking now with the latest KTMs (too aggressive to me). But I do like what they are doing with Husqvarna:

The new Kaw H2 SX SE, making the H2 into a tourer is a great idea as long as its not too big or too heavy
With bags it would be a very capable Sport Tourer. But I would think it twice considering the aesthetics. That is the same reason I am not interested on the new Multistrada. If aesthetics (and money) was irrelevant to me, I'd buy a Motus:

Then there's the new z900RS and rs cafe, If they bring this to production I will most likely own it at some point (sorry honey)
That one is really nice. Although it still lacks that special something that makes my hands sweat.

·
Bon Vivant
11,301 Posts
I think thats the most hideous piece of origami styling I've ever seen:surprise:
Well I love it. I love the complex design elements, the beautifully styled wheels, and the trellis frame. I also like the starship styling. What I dont like about it is the group of Americans it attracts. I wish it was a little smaller and lighter so the stretched swingarm crowd "Busa Boys" would leave it alone.

To me that husky has to be the most hideous motorcycle concept ever. I've been seeing that box with wheels thing for years now and it has ZERO appeal to me.

I guess that's why they make different styles :grin2:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I may also be getting old then, too. Nothing currently made or shown at the show has me either saying 'WOW!' or yearning to buy.

current models = eh
show releases = meh

even if I won a lottery tomorrow, I'd be looking for unmolested examples of a mid-90s SS or an early 916 or late 998. or a mid-60s Mk 3.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The annoying thing for me is that Ducati has the parts laying around to build a new simple two-valve SS for old gits; it could be made comfortable and easy to maintain and look 'classic' in the way that Guzzi and Triumph have done.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This thread has nothing to do with the sport classic.
Doesn't this belong in Chit Chat or some other section?

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This thread has nothing to do with the sport classic.
Doesn't this belong in Chit Chat or some other section?
You might be right.

But I thought I should restrict my moaning to the small air-cooled-and-classic-bike-lovers section of the forum.

We Sportclassic owners tend to have a different perspective about what is cool and what is not.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I tend to agree... there's nothing in the current lineup that makes my heart beat like my Sport Classic or my 999S.

I am however totally drooling over the KTM Superduke and the SuperAdventure R... The Superduke doesn't make sense as an addition to my stable but the SuperAdevnture R has a spot waiting for it in my garage...

Those Kawas sure look cool...

·
Registered
534 Posts
The problem with Honda concepts, is they never ever make them. And if they do, they look nothing like their concepts.

All they need to do is start making some of these damn things and the money will flow like water wine!

I still want this, and still think that it's the most kick assedest looking bike ever designed by humans. Put a g'damn fork on it and sell it already. I'll sell every Ducati I own for one! So I guess that means I'd have to sell my only, so no, never mind. BUT STILL!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's worse than the Kwak H2! And that's an accomplishment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts