Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, Which Ducati Monster model, since the M900 to today, is the fastest of all?
Fast could mean 0-60, it could be top speed, it could be 1/4 mile.....would be interesting to hear everyone's opinion.
Cheers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bit early for an April fools joke isn't it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol..good start.

Fast is a relative term, so.....it will be interesting to hear how people think of their bikes and what they consider to be fast in what context.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Lol..good start.

Fast is a relative term, so.....it will be interesting to hear how people think of their bikes and what they consider to be fast in what context.
Since the Monster family has never been about the "fastest" anything, who cares? A better question for the Superbike crowd.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
My Monster S2R1000 is the fastest bike I've ever ridden on The Dragon.

·
Smut peddler
1,092 Posts
My Monster S2R1000 is the fastest bike I've ever ridden on The Dragon.
See kids, it's not that hard to just answer the question the guy asked. I would say that due to the evolution of sportbikes always one upping the previous generations on hp and displacement, the nod has to go to the new 1200R. Like grandma always said, "There's no replacement for displacement". That being said, I like my evo 1100 betta.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Certainly the new 1200R at 160 hp would have to be the fastest provided you define "fastest" in terms of the quarter mile, and or top speed. It's on the heavy side, so it might not be the quickest or most nimble in the canyons depending on the rider.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the Monster family has never been about the "fastest" anything, who cares? A better question for the Superbike crowd.
See I don't think you got the point of the question. Ducati just launched a 160hp monster so the monster progression has very much been about increased performance and speed, at least for Ducati if not for you. Just interested to see if anyone thinks whether the latest is in fact going to achieve the fastest prize or are they just too lumpy and heavy, in other words have Ducati gone a step backwards?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just interested to see if anyone thinks whether the latest is in fact going to achieve the fastest prize or are they just too lumpy and heavy
OK since I gave a smart ass reply to start I'll give a serious one this time.

What model of Monster is the 1200R or S lumpier and heavier than by any significant amount that will offset a pretty substantial HP advantage?

·
comrade moderator
26,991 Posts
Fastest what? :confused: Monster? Where? How? In what way? Around a racetrack? Straight down?

Yeah, the latest one with a gazillion horsepower is probably the fastest Monster as far as top speed and quarter mile times.
Unless someone has built a custom jobbie that's faster. And they probably have...so...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't personally ridden the last generation via lot of reviewers are staying the monster has become a baby diavel, rather than and sharp street bike. That is what sparked the question for me and also because I was thinking of changing from S4RS to 1200R, so wondered what the thoughts are on the forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I haven't personally ridden the last generation via lot of reviewers are staying the monster has become a baby diavel, rather than and sharp street bike. That is what sparked the question for me and also because I was thinking of changing from S4RS to 1200R, so wondered what the thoughts are on the forum.
I haven't ridden any of the 1200 models either but looking at the specs they're not really any heavier, they have a longer wheelbase so maybe a bit slower turning but unless you're doing track days in the expert group or riding really, really hard on the street I doubt its a big deal.

As far as you changing from an S4Rs I wouldn't do that if it were me. IMO the S4Rs has plenty of performance for street riding and is much better looking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree about the looks of the S4RS, for sure.

Found an interesting video just now, showing a comparison between an S4R and a 1200S, surprising. I dont agree with the comments towards the end of the video regarding reliability etc, but even just based on the performance review i think i will be keeping my bike. Link to video if anyone is interested:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otmEO7gZHs0

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow that video is terrible, they don't even have the model year correct for the old one. Plus it has forged magnesium wheels but they're too clueless to mention that it would give a big improvement in acceleration and turning.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wow that video is terrible, they don't even have the model year correct for the old one. Plus it has forged magnesium wheels but they're too clueless to mention that it would give a big improvement in acceleration and turning.
So what's he rambling on about at 3:23 mark then??? :wink2:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
. . . lot of reviewers are staying the monster has become a baby diavel, rather than and sharp street bike. That is what sparked the question for me and also because I was thinking of changing from S4RS to 1200R, so wondered what the thoughts are on the forum.
Then why not just ask this question? :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then why not just ask this question? :confused:
Because that as not my question. The video answered my original question. Feel free to read all the posts and let me know if you still have any issues with it.....jeez. I regret posting this thread.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
No, do not feel that way. I love threads like this one. They can get real entertaining, especially when they get off topic.

:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2014 Monster 1200S ran 10:30 @131mph as a best time in as ridden daily set up.

That's with me in all my gear, not strapping the front end or changing the suspension at all.

For as versital as the bike is, I was real happy with that number and I believe it's got more in it with a better rider.

I figure others might be faster, but the big 1200S will make them prove it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts