Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My phone uses to fast charge using the USB SAE, but ever since it rained it has been slow. The USB cable was fried so I replaced it. I also have another SAE cable connected for a trickle charger and another for a ground because I fried the ECU ground.

I can't tell what causes the slow charge. Whether it's all the lines I have connectes to the battery, or the SAE USB is just bad.

What do you use to fast charge your phone and have you had any issues?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Not all USB SAE cables support fast charge, bet your replacement cable is not to that spec. Most are only 2A. Many off brand ones from the East claim they are compatible with all kinds of specs, but they are not. 5V 3300mA true output, I think is the spec for fast charging? I wonder if the dual USB port models slow down to the rate of the slower device plugged in at the same time?

If you look at the specs for several on Amazon, the ones that meet it are around $30-40, Revzilla has them too.

By the way, with so many of your electronics being wet and frying this USB situation might not be your most pressing issue at the moment,...

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
If your phone is capable of wireless charging, the myriad of problems associated with the task may have been recently solved by motopowerpuck. These things are made mostly for the ADV crowd so that you can follow off road tracks, full time, while keeping your phone charged. The problem with cable chargers is that, eventually, the connection will fail due to vibration. These guys initially built a waterproof puck that could be attached to various mounts. The main rub was that the charger was under powered and could not keep up. The other problem was that the cradles for phones were an add on -- you had to find a way to make it work.

Now, they have a fast charge puck and they partnered with Perfect Squeeze, to provide an integrated unit that is supposed to solve a lot of problems. The goal is to run your phone, screen on all the time, with maps running and anything else you want -- without decreasing your charge as you go. I have one now that I am testing, so far so good. One problem that I have had with home made solutions in the past is trying to charge in the heat. All of those failed miserably.

https://motopowerpuck.com/

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What USB adapter and cable are you using? I agrre with the vibrations comment. It seems that these cables charge fine for a few rides and slowly die out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts