Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of a ride today in the country side around perth , near karragullen servo, some thing on the bike went farken LOUD BANG scared the shit out of me - had a quick look couldnt see anything obvious.

road back to mates place , popped the fuel tank, uh-ho - battery friggen went pop literally , blew all the refill stoppers out, a big hole on the top plate and bucked the whole top of the battery.

and for good measure pissed battery fluid over the motor frame and swingarm

wahed it off asap , but got scarring/etching on the above parts.

fcuk fcuk fcuk

was a new battery prolly less than 2-3 months old.

not sure what caused it im thinking the regulator has failed or is faling cooking the battery - but why is went pop like it , i dunno , checked the battery breather and that was okay ????

bit pee'd off

·
Registered
662 Posts
That's ugly. Hard to imagine overcharging could cause that much damage without having other symptoms like blowing bulbs, melting wires and such. Had to be some sort of factory flaw. I've had the battery fluid spill problem; the result of an accident. Use lots of baking soda in the the wash. Blow dry and repeat at least three times. I was amazed at the corrosion that kept showing up from spots missed in the rinse.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
H + O plus something to ignite it = big bang!

When batteries are charged, they give off hydrogen and oxygen.

H + O plus something to ignite it = big bang! Remember your science lessons at school where you had 2 test tubes upside down and some wires to produce hydrogen in one tube and oxygen in the other, then you turned the hydrogen one up the right way and lit it? A minor version of what you had with six battery cells producing hydrogen.

Slim chance it was a battery fault to cause the ignition, but more likely a spark from something in the wiring harness. If it was a fault in the battery it would have to have been above electrolyte level.

Hydrogen, being light, rises and if there is not adequate ventilation, can get caught in pockets, so add a spark and kaboom. I would be more inclined to think that the regulator was allowing too much overcharge (overcharge is needed to fully charge a battery), so would be having a hard look at the voltage when you whack in a new battery and get the revs up.

Electrolyte (sulphuric acid) - neutralise as per 944SS and keep rinsing and rinsing with water. Sulphuric acid tends to stick to surfaces. If it was my bike I would use a pressure cleaner very carefully on low pressure to spray anything that it could have spattered onto during the batteries demise.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Regulator/rectifiers are available aftermarket for about half that price, but it'll still be an expensive repair. Check the battery vent to be sure it wasn't clogged too. Hard to actually explode a battery without a confluence of unlikely events, but your bike is proof it can be done. Let it be a warning to others out there to keep an eye on such things. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agreed checked the vent hole it was fine - battery must have boiled/gassed up very quickly for it to do that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow!

Clean the chain because sulfuric acid can/will etch the steel links causing
stress risers and the posibility of chain breakage.

"Back in the day" some battery breather hoses were routed too
near the chain and caused this to happen. *two cents worth*

·
Registered
998 Posts
Making my yuasa YTZ7S sound like a good idea[sealed battery] even if it was slightly more expensive. Sorry mate, the insurance companies just total em when the battery pops in a crash.
Time for a tear down and powder coat the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts