Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I take to cutting the small piece off of the faring on my 1995 900 SS SP it thought I'd ask for a bit of advice from folks on this forum.
I'm in the final process of putting my bike back on the road and all that's standing in the way of that happening is interference with the new exhaust and the left hand faring bottom. The exhaust is a new SilMoto "spaghetti" system with hi-mount cans. I've had a terrible time getting this all lined up! After many tries starting with everything "lose" I have it all in place except there still is this small interference with the left fairing. Any suggestions before I cut a small piece off to clear?? To me it's sacrilegious to damage this old faring.
FBF said there wasn't a problem with any other purchaser....
Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Mine also interfered in the same spot. I just trimmed the fairing. My thinking is that there are plenty of fairings floating around that if I wanted to go back to 100% stock, it'd be easy enough to find one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I feel a bit better!
Did you trim it with a Dremel? I'm hoping that it's so far below sight that the edge won't be noticeable as I don't have any "touch-up" paint.
It will be nice to get it back on the road!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Same with mine. But not enough interference to really need any grinding - and it's worn itself down now over the past few years...

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Now I feel a bit better!
Did you trim it with a Dremel? I'm hoping that it's so far below sight that the edge won't be noticeable as I don't have any "touch-up" paint.
It will be nice to get it back on the road!
I used a Dremel cut-off wheel, then a light block sanding.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I was pretty lucky with touch-up paint from Dr. Colorchip. I didn't have specific paint numbers so I asked for "Ducati Red" from early 90s. They color they sent was excellent. Their paints work well in a small touch-up application.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks spacey. I've received great advice and now feel much better about taking this on.
I'll try and get some of the paint you mentioned as well.
I've been told that Ducati changed their "Red" in 1996 due to regs so the fact you are happy with what you received from Dr. Colorchip is encouraging.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the same exhaust. On mine, it seemed to fit with just BARELY enough clearance, but it would touch when going over bumps. I wanted to remove as little as possible, so I left the fairings on and just sanded it by hand. I was able to shape it so nobody would ever notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts