Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been poking around for a bit on the forum (only had my bike for a week) and have tried to get a handle on the most common mods/complaints/fixes for the Hyper. I know these bikes are very customizable and personal, and everyone has different interests (such as in the steering damper vs. proper fork setup discussions I have seen), but I was wondering what things are common mods? I'm looking for a knowledge base of common items to get a handle on my new hardware from people more experienced than I. Any "quick hits" anyone can think of?

So far the most common things I see on this forum that get modded/changed/improved are tires, storage and device mount solutions, and exhaust, which is a good sign and makes me think these bikes are quite reliable and don't seem to have any major glitches that need "curing". Am I right? Where should I turn to start my customization process? :think:

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm pretty new too, had mine around a month. It was a demo, came with termi slip on's, a dp ecu, and dp airbox. I got front & rear pitbull stands, new tires, a few tools, dp handlebar bag ($30 @ pro italia). I also cut out stencil designs on my belt cover. Saw a thread about that in the sport classic forum. I'm looking at 14 tooth front sprocket and new chain next. Then a termi or lv decat pipe. Not sure which yet.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty new too, had mine around a month. It was a demo, came with termi slip on's, a dp ecu, and dp airbox. I got front & rear pitbull stands, new tires, a few tools, dp handlebar bag ($30 @ pro italia). I also cut out stencil designs on my belt cover. Saw a thread about that in the sport classic forum. I'm looking at 14 tooth front sprocket and new chain next. Then a termi or lv decat pipe. Not sure which yet.

DP airbox? That is interesting. I don't know if mine has that. I'd better do a little searching. Thanks for the tip on the source of the handlebar bag; I've been looking at those.

I'm still good on the chain at the moment, and I think I'll wait on the 14-tooth until I get more seat time. Seems like those make it even more wheelie-prone! But this bike is all about fun up to 100 mph, so I'm sure I'll make the jump one day.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I JUST got the 14 tooth front sprocket. I only have a few miles on it so far (just got back from having it installed) and I can say I finally used 6th gear, and taking off from a stop is a lot easier. Stuck behind cars in traffic the gearing seems better too. Before I was always right in-between lugging and revving higher than I wanted at constant speeds.

The 14 tooth sprocket is just about the cheapest improvement one can make.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tip. I did notice the other day that traffic was creeping between my clutch-in and clutch-out speeds. Perhaps this would make the commute easier, the bike a little punchier, and still net the side benefit of easier take-offs. Looks like I'll pick one up and give it a shot!

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I JUST got the 14 tooth front sprocket. I only have a few miles on it so far (just got back from having it installed) and I can say I finally used 6th gear, and taking off from a stop is a lot easier. Stuck behind cars in traffic the gearing seems better too. Before I was always right in-between lugging and revving higher than I wanted at constant speeds.

The 14 tooth sprocket is just about the cheapest improvement one can make.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
LV cat elim > termi, cheaper and functions the same. Depending on how handy you are you can do a couple things at home with simple tools. Coring the exhaust and opening up the airbox are both free and easy to do.

For the forks; springs matched to your weight and air gap at 120mm is the biggest bang for your buck and depending on what you weigh will really change the handling.

Post what bike you have and we have have some more detailed input.

Welcome!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Id definitely say intake...Ducshop stacks kit really opened her up. But honestly, its all about preference. The bike will perform like a champ straight from the factory, just a matter of what additional fun youre looking to get out of her.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Id definitely say intake...Ducshop stacks kit really opened her up. But honestly, its all about preference. The bike will perform like a champ straight from the factory, just a matter of what additional fun youre looking to get out of her.
but your intake will be louder than your stock exhaust :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LV cat elim > termi, cheaper and functions the same. Depending on how handy you are you can do a couple things at home with simple tools. Coring the exhaust and opening up the airbox are both free and easy to do.

For the forks; springs matched to your weight and air gap at 120mm is the biggest bang for your buck and depending on what you weigh will really change the handling.

Post what bike you have and we have have some more detailed input.

Welcome!
It's an '08 1100S with the full Termi cat elim and ECU, Galfer Wave rotors, SpeedyMoto Leggero belt and sprocket covers, DP Comfort seat, DP rear rack, little extra CF bits throughout (tank trim, etc), open clutch cover, different black anodized pegs (not sure what brand), and probably some other stuff I haven't discovered yet.

I'm about 190-ish for weight. I believe the previous owner was a smaller guy from what I have heard. I would be interested in finding what I should do to tune the suspension. I'll be looking for threads on that! Thanks for the tip. I'll check the air gap, too. I already found the thread with the chart of fork oil weights.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
DP airbox? That is interesting. I don't know if mine has that. I'd better do a little searching. Thanks for the tip on the source of the handlebar bag; I've been looking at those.
DP airbox = stock airbox with hole cut out.

Handlebar bag looks like a fanny pack :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
So I just got the first service done to my bike last friday and now my fuel light is always on. First off there is fuel in the tank and plenty of it so I know its not that. It came on after the service was done and they said it was probably a fuel sensor. Could this be because I have an exhaust system without a reflash to the ECU? Or a whole different issue?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love it! That's great stuff! I already have those mods except the airbox which I will check into, but this is perfect for someone else with a new bike. I was kind of hoping this would be a good reference thread for other newbies, too).

Here's some write ups I put together on a few of the FREE mods.....

Emissions Canister Removal

Cored Exhaust

Stock Airbox Mod

Opening up the stock clutch cover

Hopefully that gives you some ideas that wont hurt the pocket book

·
Registered
305 Posts
Love it! That's great stuff! I already have those mods except the airbox which I will check into, but this is perfect for someone else with a new bike. I was kind of hoping this would be a good reference thread for other newbies, too).
I've enjoyed it, & sounds like you've found a sweet hyper. I would've bought it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts