Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this fan removal bypass kit from TPO Parts for the 748 and 998 series bikes.
http://tinyurl.com/mpzbtq

In my quest to remove item that I find of minimal weight/benifit, I was wondering if anyone has done this on the XX9 bikes. I am sure I could find an appropriate way to remove them and kill the engine light as well. Perhaps TPO would make one up if asked.

I live in SF and ride mostly along the coast/mountains and Monterey Big Sur so I always have a very mild/cool climate. I don't think my fans ever really even come on unless I happen to sit in traffic...which I usually elimiate by spliting lanes anyway.

Dropping three pounds, seems worth while.

·
Registered
797 Posts
For the few ounces of weight savings you stand the chance of blowing a motor. For a track only bike, then fine, but for a street bike it's a gamble I would never do.....

I've taken off the fan, but only for soley dedicated track bike

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know WHY you would even want to....Unless you are riding on the streets BEYOND the limits of your motorcycle (meaning you have too much skill for the bike) & racing other motos that you NEED to save 1.5pds, in order to secure the winning lottery numbers, who would do this?
I don't mean to sound like "too much" of a smart-ass, but that's like asking or stating that I was thinking of removing the brakes in order to save weight, because "I'll just downshift to slow down/stop"....Your bike needs a cooling fan, ESPECIALLY FOR STREET RIDING, unless you like replacing engines....whether or not it's cool weather outside has no bearing on when you'll hit traffic, break-down, hit a warm spell of weather, etc....you might not be able to ALWAYS lane split....what if you're stuck in traffic because of a wreck, pulled over by the fuzz, etc...
USE your head...I mean really, you REALLY wanted to ask...no fan on your bike....WTF?
(And I wonder why insurance prices keep rising)
:confused:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez- friggin' relax! it was just a simple question. I have a track bike and the fan is off of that and it's no problem. You have to manage the coolant mixture and that's all besides- keep moving and don't sit with the engine running.

And it is a little more than 3lbs, not 1.5.

It's not a illogical question - I only ride this bike a few times a month and like I said I don't think the fan has ever come on that I can recall. If I am stuck in traffic I would deal with it knowing the fan isn't on there. I have a temperature guage. As for a LEO- please, spare me. I think they generally want you to shut off any way.

This bike will get track time, but limited because I have a pupose bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jeez- friggin' relax! it was just a simple question. I have a track bike and the fan is off of that and it's no problem. You have to manage the coolant mixture and that's all besides- keep moving and don't sit with the engine running.

And it is a little more than 3lbs, not 1.5.

It's not a illogical question - I only ride this bike a few times a month and like I said I don't think the fan has ever come on that I can recall. If I am stuck in traffic I would deal with it knowing the fan isn't on there. I have a temperature guage. As for a LEO- please, spare me. I think they generally want you to shut off any way.

This bike will get track time, but limited because I have a pupose bike.

The picture with the pistol and the cat is priceless BTW.

If your riding it soo little, but have the time to take the fan system out, I think the problem is solved right there!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture with the pistol and the cat is priceless BTW.

If your riding it soo little, but have the time to take the fan system out, I think the problem is solved right there!
I like that picture too!- I ride that bike a few times a month (at least once a week anyway) I have four bikes now, three are Duc's. They get jealous if I pay too much attention to one.

And I like to tinker with them- then ride them whenever I can. It's my hobby these days. I'll spend a week or two modifying on one while I ride the others. Keeps me out of the liquor cabinet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh sorry, I was taking life too seriously....a simple answer...YES, take off your cooling fan to save 3pds of weight to ride it on the city street....it'll be way faster that way & handle loads better. Until the engine seizes...
(Where I come from-Ask a stupid ?, Get a stupid answer)
:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"SIGH" - Hey JonnyRotten- I think First Sgt. is calling you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
He's called a 1SG, not First Sgt...but good try....
I AM (but not really) trying to bust your balls because I don't see a benefit to doing it....ex:

1) Put on CF bits- drop weight, + looks...no losses
2) Aftermarket exhaust- drop weight, + BHP....no losses
3) Add Titanium- drop little weight (bolts, screws, etc), + strength...no losses
***Remove cooling fan- no cooling capability, possible engine siezure, drop 3 pds ttl....BIG LOSS

I'm just saying that I can think of ALOT better ways to shed pds than take off a major part of the motorcycle to shave 3 pds....

Get CF wheels, tank, fairings, add Ti exhaust, (6pds total for switchin all odds/end bolts to Ti)
Replace aluminum pieces to CF

(If you have 4 bikes, & you're talking about asking a company to "make up" a mod for you...you can't B hurting for cash, so these other mods are affordable)
You can get full CF pkg..$3k...wheels...$2-3k...cf odds/ends...$1k

Besides, WHAT is that 3pds doing for you? You're talking about streetriding, not .010 of secs....It would B wiser/easier to shed 3pds of bodyweight than to remove a major component by ensuring the motorcycle would stay running properly in ANY weather situation/resale sit/etc

(I just DO NOT GET IT...that's my problem I guess...just doesn't make sense to me & cannot see a true benefit.)
It's a safety hazzard to you & to others riding next to you or people you might be near when the engine siezes, you wreck, possibly kill someone...because you wanted to save 3 pds....
I just think, AHEAD of time, of possible outcomes & none seems worth the effort/risk/thread....

But what do I know....you asked openly in a thread, so I gave my HONEST answer....sorry
I'm not upset ("Jeez...friggin' relax")...It's not my bike...You can remove the front tire & ride wheelies everywhere for all I care....& shave 15pds off....I just didn't see the LOGIC in the ?
:abduct:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That little fan is like a safety belt in a car. There for the day you need it and a pain in the a*se the rest of the time. If you want to tinker, then head over to the Yellowducking post on the Redbull he is "tinkering" with. Now that man has got the tinkers disease real bad!!! :)

SF

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Your engine will shut down before any damage will occur, in case you forget to keep an eye on the engine temp.

So no, there is nothing wrong with removing the fan.

Tom

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's called a 1SG, not First Sgt...but good try....
I AM (but not really) trying to bust your balls because I don't see a benefit to doing it....ex:
Yeah, but nobody would have got the 1SG though. Army/Navy will always be knocking one another.

Anyway- I'm not going to likely do this. It was more a question of seeing the kit for the 998 and wondering if this was something done on a lot of peoples bikes or not. Otherwise, I would never have considered it. Apparently...It's Not something many (none) do, like an airbox/snorkle mod, but that's the purpose of the forum.

Better a stupid question than a stupid mistake as we all know. So the fans will stay and I'll get those nifty CF brake rotors for $3000 instead- to ride up to Alice's and show everyone how cool and lightweight my bike is:abduct:

Naw- new leathers and two years of track days would be better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
THAT would Be a cool-ass mod...post some pics if you do 'em....
Like I said, I wasn't trying to be mean, I just didn't see a street-purpose for them...track-YES...street-be REAL careful...Best of luck!!!
:p

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just did a trackday last week wednesday on my 749, run water wetter (no anti-freeze)...

In the afternoon, I'd come off the track, head into my pit, and I'd be around 230F, fan was on. This is right off the track...

btw, i'm in Wisconsin....

I'd say bad idea to remove the fan to save 3lbs. I donno what Tom means about the bike will shut down before any damage will occur. I think the temp gage gets angry around 245F, not sure what happens past that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow... bad idea. may i recommend dropping a deuce...or working out before track day?
I actually read an article about that! Weight loss on the rider (not the duccie drop.)

Most guys carry a good 20 lbs over what they should and would be better served losing the excess body mass, rather than all the time and money put into buying more crap for the bike. The CG effect of that weight high in the saddle has way more effect than the loss of some plastic and steel bits from the bike center of mass.
As well as getting in shape for the ride. Track day late sessions are thinned out because many riders are pretty well spent by lunch time. Lap times go up in the afternoon as well (for some). Mine go down, but than I don't do the first one or two sessions anyway.

I work out almost everyday and have about a 4% Body fat-I have to keep in good shape, it's part of my job description. Riding hard is hard work. Ever seen the forearms of the GP riders?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts