Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of time to wrench on my ST during August (kids and wifey out of town) and I plan to change the fan for the DesmoTimes unit with remote switch.

Anything I need to know before delving into this. Coolant replacement problems, pulling off the old fan, difficult to reach parts, etc. Your expertise would be most helpful.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did mine and it wasn't too bad. It was my first time taking the fairing off and I probably had more time into that than actually replacing the fan.

I'd just say you have to wiggle the radiator to lift it off it's rubber mounts.

Also, make sure the fan spins. I had on little piece of rubber in the way that I had to adjust.

Other than that stuff and making sure you locate the switch correctly it was pretty cut and dry.

Oh....get more zip ties.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kool! Will keep all that in mind...I have had the fairing off a number of times, so no problem there. I use a power screwdriver to take all those well-nut fasteners off and dial down the torque before putting them back on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
. I use a power screwdriver to take all those well-nut fasteners off .
If you switch those fasteners to Dzuz it's only a 1/4 turn and no need to torque down. It's a simple enough job to switch them over, but the fairing holes have to be drilled out, but this isn't a problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You guys are lucky with his bracket...My st4 has realy thin Dzus units with indivual clips pop riveted to the back fairing. They work but suck at the same time and a few are way to easy to twist but i've not lost any yet...(knock wood)

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
When I had my ST3 apart for a fluid / belt / valve, etc. change, it looked like you could put a complete fan on the right side of the radiator. Anyone know if you can do that and would it provide additional cooling with a manual switch?
It's not unusual for mine to hit 212 degrees in stop and go traffic on 100+ degree days.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
You guys are lucky with his bracket...My st4 has realy thin Dzus units with indivual clips pop riveted to the back fairing. They work but suck at the same time and a few are way to easy to twist but i've not lost any yet...(knock wood)
Really with the brackets, the Dzus really aren't necessary. They would be slightly more convenient along the roadside, but that is going to be the least of your roadside worries.

Personally, I'd ditch the Dzus for LT's brackets and save a ton of work getting the upper fairing off. Also with LT's bracket, I believe folks have to special order Dzus fasteners that work.

When I had my ST3 apart for a fluid / belt / valve, etc. change, it looked like you could put a complete fan on the right side of the radiator. Anyone know if you can do that and would it provide additional cooling with a manual switch?
It's not unusual for mine to hit 212 degrees in stop and go traffic on 100+ degree days.
Shazaam made a post about this a while back. I believe his input was that the SBKs with dual fans had a lower overall system load. I believe the ST system gets a bit marginal with two fans running.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, that is all fine and dandy guys, but I am not really concerned with Dzus fasteners at the moment....LOL. I just need to pick your brains about changing the fan...

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Damn Mad Dog, you act like this is your thread....oh, wait it is.
IT'S ALL TONY'S FAULT!!

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, I did want someone to blame just so I could get some sleep at night!! But I do like the Dzus fan idea...
(these last three posts made my morning :yeah:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts